What's new

Confirmed: China Building New Aircraft Carrier… Possibly Nuclear Powered

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
03-china-aircraft-carrier.jpg

On Thursday, huanqiu.com, the Chinese-language version of local Global Times, published an internal document of the China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation. The report states that the company’s “priority missions” are to build nuclear submarines and an aircraft carrier. It also mentions that progress on these projects has been steady.

“The priority missions of building the aircraft carrier and nuclear-submarines have been carried out smoothly and with outstanding results,” the document states, according to a translation provided by Taiwanese media outlets.

The Taiwanese reports go on to say that the document suggests that China’s first homegrown aircraft carrier may be nuclear-powered.

Similarly, in January 2014 media reports in China quoted Liaoning party Chief Wang Min as saying that work on China’s second aircraft carrier had begun in the city of Dalian, and Beijing is ultimately expected to build four aircraft carriers. These reports, however, were quickly removed by China’s censors.

The US Department of Defense assessing Chinese military power noted that, “China continues to pursue an indigenous aircraft carrier program and could build multiple aircraft carriers over the next 15 years.”

The Pentagon report goes on to mention that China’s home-based carriers “would be capable of improved endurance and of carrying and launching more varied types of aircraft, including electronic warfare, early warning, and anti-submarine, thus increasing the potential striking power of a PLA Navy ‘carrier battle group’ in safeguarding China’s interests in areas outside its immediate periphery,” media reports.

Assuming it remains online, the Global Times’ publication of the internal CSIC document is therefore the closest confirmation that China is currently building a homegrown aircraft carrier.

Posted in Asia

Confirmed: China Building New Aircraft Carrier… Possibly Nuclear Powered | idrw.org

03-china-aircraft-carrier.jpg

On Thursday, huanqiu.com, the Chinese-language version of local Global Times, published an internal document of the China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation. The report states that the company’s “priority missions” are to build nuclear submarines and an aircraft carrier. It also mentions that progress on these projects has been steady.

“The priority missions of building the aircraft carrier and nuclear-submarines have been carried out smoothly and with outstanding results,” the document states, according to a translation provided by Taiwanese media outlets.

The Taiwanese reports go on to say that the document suggests that China’s first homegrown aircraft carrier may be nuclear-powered.

Similarly, in January 2014 media reports in China quoted Liaoning party Chief Wang Min as saying that work on China’s second aircraft carrier had begun in the city of Dalian, and Beijing is ultimately expected to build four aircraft carriers. These reports, however, were quickly removed by China’s censors.

The US Department of Defense assessing Chinese military power noted that, “China continues to pursue an indigenous aircraft carrier program and could build multiple aircraft carriers over the next 15 years.”

The Pentagon report goes on to mention that China’s home-based carriers “would be capable of improved endurance and of carrying and launching more varied types of aircraft, including electronic warfare, early warning, and anti-submarine, thus increasing the potential striking power of a PLA Navy ‘carrier battle group’ in safeguarding China’s interests in areas outside its immediate periphery,” media reports.

Assuming it remains online, the Global Times’ publication of the internal CSIC document is therefore the closest confirmation that China is currently building a homegrown aircraft carrier.

Posted in Asia

Confirmed: China Building New Aircraft Carrier… Possibly Nuclear Powered | idrw.org

Yes sources here did mention "steady progress on AC building". Just that the schematic you posted might not be accurate I suppose? Anyway no details are known so far, but I doubt ski jump would be used.

They said the nuke sub, not nuke carrier, typical dirty trick by stupid taiwanese journalism to over flatter China.

China needs an end-force of over 20 aircraft carriers by the 2040-2050 timeline. I see no reason why not. China has the money, it's shipbuilding is excellent, and it can build ships for a lot better prices than the US. China needs to own the oceans.

China needs an end-force of over 20 aircraft carriers by the 2040-2050 timeline. I see no reason why not. China has the money, it's shipbuilding is excellent, and it can build ships for a lot better prices than the US. China needs to own the oceans.

Wow bro you are even more sino-chauvinist than Chinese here!

Chinese taxpayers are only building up a minimum navy that helps protect investments and trading routes, no other expensive but meaningless purposes. So maybe a few CV/CVN will do the job, Americans can pay for the rest like they also do.

Peace brother, peace!

Last edited:

Chinese taxpayers are only building up a minimum navy that helps protect investments and trading routes, no other expensive but meaningless purposes. So maybe a few CV/CVN will do the job, Americans can pay for the rest like they also do.

Peace brother, peace!

That's true and wise. It's sad how the behaviour of some other countries forces other countries to spend money on these kinds of things. If all people just accepted that times change, and balances of power change, we could have cured cancer 10 times already with such funding. Ah well.

Peace brother, peace!

No my man,he is just an iranian whose parents immigrated away from iran to the west for a better life,. Yet he is very anti western for some reason.
So dont be surprise he cheers more for china than even the chinese themselves. :lol:

slightly bigger than the CV16 Liaoning, but don't believe this taiwanese bullshit about the nuke powered.
i would assume later larger versions would be nuclear powered. i know this ac they are building now is not nuclear powered. they know how to stir up news don't they.

i would assume later larger versions would be nuclear powered. i know this ac they are building now is not nuclear powered. they know how to stir up news don't they.
yes, the CV-17 will be a more advanced Liaoning, CV-18 chinese Kitty Hawk,CV-19, 20 Chinese Ford class. These crapy media have no clue about development and manufacture of an aircraft carrier, and China's foreign policy. these anti-china banana journalism usually either underestimate china by writing some bullshit of china copy this and that, or they over flatter china, and if china could not meet their "expectations", then they will say China sucks, China loser blah blah blah......
We are not indians who want best of everything to fulfil their gigantic ego, totally ignore the compatibility and technology maturity of a military hardware. China do everything quietly, down to earth, step by step with a global vision unlike certain countries that their whole foreign policy and military build up are now pretty much China centric.

From my point of view, only 2 things will confirm to me that a new carrier is being built in China now!

1/ Either there is an official release from the Chinese of them building a carrier. (which wont happen).

or

2/ I see construction of a vessel at a Chinese shipyard, where it gets to a point that it can only be deduced that in fact it is an aircraft carrier.

I've no doubt, we should see evidence soon.............but relying on a Taiwanese news story, isn't proof is it?

.............just like 'Kanwa', and 'iwantChinatimes' isnt reliable either!

yes, the CV-17 will be a more advanced Liaoning, CV-18 chinese Kitty Hawk,CV-19, 20 Chinese Ford class. These crapy media have no clue about development and manufacture of an aircraft carrier, and China's foreign policy. these anti-china banana journalism usually either underestimate china by writing some bullshit of china copy this and that, or they over flatter china, and if china could not meet their "expectations", then they will say China sucks, China loser blah blah blah......
We are not indians who want best of everything to fulfil their gigantic ego, totally ignore the compatibility and technology maturity of a military hardware. China do everything quietly, down to earth, step by step with a global vision unlike certain countries that their whole foreign policy and military build up are now pretty much China centric.
true. china has grown at a very rapid rate. as it is best to start from the bottom and sort of lay a good foundation and build it up. as opposed to wanting the best period tech they (india) cant absorb. i can see this logic with the jf17 where its being upgraded more and more up until the point where it can be done no more as opposed to having all of the bells and whistles in one big go. obviously the uk has really good tech i.e the EFT and the type 45 destroyer and astute class sub, but china is catching up. which is good. good for you mate keep it up.

true. china has grown at a very rapid rate. as it is best to start from the bottom and sort of lay a good foundation and build it up. as opposed to wanting the best period tech they (india) cant absorb. i can see this logic with the jf17 where its being upgraded more and more up until the point where it can be done no more as opposed to having all of the bells and whistles in one big go. obviously the uk has really good tech i.e the EFT and the type 45 destroyer and astute class sub, but china is catching up. which is good. good for you mate keep it up.
actually, i'm wondering whether there is already a cooperation between China and UK on electric propulsion system, it would be good for china's 055DDG and 054B???
@english_man any thought bro?

Back
Top Bottom