What's new

Comparative strengths of Bangladesh and Myanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the military strategy here for BD to win against Myanmar?

Looking at raw data, Bangladesh Army has 160,000 soldiers vs 400,000 of Myanmar Army. In terms of Air Force, Myanmar has the advantage as well. It operates 30 MiG 29's vs Bangladesh's 8 MiG 29's. The rest are defensive old interceptors that cannot be effectively used in offensive strike roles.

Smaller armies beat much larger armies all the time, that's as old as history. But you need effective tools to achieve your objectives. Like how Israeli's beat the Arab armies, but Bangladesh seems to lack the assets needed.

The most effective way to succeed would be pre-emptive air strikes that cripple the MAF, thus giving BAF air superiority. Allowing the Bangladesh army to move in on the back of a Rohingya uprising that snowballs out of control.

But how does BAF plan to do that? You can't do that with just 8 MiG-29's. Some people are saying BAF is buying 12 Su-27's, but even if you include them, for which there is no proof, it wouldn't be enough. You need to launch several sorties day and night. You need to keep airplanes in the air at all times. Some planes would need repairing, some would need maintenance. Some would malfunction and be out of service until spare parts from foreign countries come in. The pilots would need rest. Some planes would surely be shot down. Some pilots would be killed. What does BAF have to fall back on to sustain that constant pressure? 20 planes are certainly not enough.

Showing the Rohingya concern, BD could utilize the situation to grab some military assistance from powerful Muslim countries and western world would have consent. BD would have natural superiority over MM. Instead due to the India centric people in power, BD is neither getting assistance from India, China, Russia nor from Muslim countries. Only pity from western world. BD is stuck in a crucial moment. And MM just took the better time to strike BD, 2012 to onward. Remind me of India which struck Nepal when it was affected by earthquake and most of its mechanisms werent working.

What does BAF have to fall back on to sustain that constant pressure? 20 planes are certainly not enough.

The numbers will increase over time. I dont think they have any plans to go in a war so quickly. And they will avoid war by any cost. If they really want to increase the fighters drastically then should go on loan.

BD will always be stuck in a trance, the indian trance.

Looking at raw data, Bangladesh Army has 160,000 soldiers vs 400,000 of Myanmar Army. In terms of Air Force, Myanmar has the advantage as well. It operates 30 MiG 29's vs Bangladesh's 8 MiG 29's. The rest are defensive old interceptors that cannot be effectively used in offensive strike roles.

Smaller armies beat much larger armies all the time, that's as old as history. But you need effective tools to achieve your objectives. Like how Israeli's beat the Arab armies, but Bangladesh seems to lack the assets needed.

The most effective way to succeed would be pre-emptive air strikes that cripple the MAF, thus giving BAF air superiority. Allowing the Bangladesh army to move in on the back of a Rohingya uprising that snowballs out of control.

But how does BAF plan to do that? You can't do that with just 8 MiG-29's. Some people are saying BAF is buying 12 Su-27's, but even if you include them, for which there is no proof, it wouldn't be enough. You need to launch several sorties day and night. You need to keep airplanes in the air at all times. Some planes would need repairing, some would need maintenance. Some would malfunction and be out of service until spare parts from foreign countries come in. The pilots would need rest. Some planes would surely be shot down. Some pilots would be killed. What does BAF have to fall back on to sustain that constant pressure? 20 planes are certainly not enough.

I don't think Bangladesh is looking for a fight.

I agree with your post though, the Bangladeshi military is woefully outgunned by Myanmar.

Yes, Myanmar. Lets let that sink in.

Pathetic.

I don't think Bangladesh is looking for a fight.

I agree with your post though, the Bangladeshi military is woefully outgunned by Myanmar.

Yes, Myanmar. Lets let that sink in.

Pathetic.

Military hardware isn't too expensive if there is the political will to buy it.

However the stuff that Bangladesh is buying, like those old training submarines from China, it doesn't convey any kind of political will to win a war.

What Bangladesh needs to plug the gap is a large amount of artillery to start. Modern rocket artillery like China's WS-series has a range of several hundred kilometres and pinpoint precision. And can be cheaply fired in enormous salvos.

Then you can use swarms of armed drones which are very cost effective and powerful. China's CH-5 armed drone has a range of over 10,000 km and can carry 16 missiles each. Chinese armed drones have been put to good use in the Middle East by countries like Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Egypt for example.

These two options are extremely cost-effective, and can land a huge amount of munitions on distant targets with high accuracy. You don't have to worry about losing any pilots either, you can sit back and fire away.

Last edited:
Military hardware isn't too expensive if there is the political will to buy it.

However the stuff that Bangladesh is buying, like those old training submarines from China, it doesn't convey any kind of political will to win a war.

What Bangladesh needs to plug the gap is a large amount of artillery to start. Modern rocket artillery like China's WS-series has a range of several hundred kilometres and pinpoint precision. And can be cheaply fired in enormous salvos.

Then you can use swarms of armed drones which are very cost effective and powerful. China's CH-5 armed drone has a range of over 10,000 km and can carry 16 missiles each. Chinese armed drones have been put to good use in the Middle East by countries like Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Egypt for example.

These two options are extremely cost-effective, and can land a huge amount of munitions on distant targets with high accuracy. You don't have to worry about losing any pilots either, you can sit back and fire away.

Who knows what they are trying to do.

I can see buying the Mings as a cost effective (i.e. CHEAP), way to build up familiarity with operating submarines.

However, the key will be if Bangladesh goes through and buys some more modern new builds. Who knows?

To be honest, I have no to little confidence in Bangladesh to make the "right" move militarily. I think there are way too many domestic distractions to a concerted effort to focus on maximal military capability.

Its not like a Pakistan vs. India environment. There is no CLEAR military threat. Just the potential ones from Myanmar and to a much lesser extent India.

But irony of ironies, there is an Indian installed government in power. Its a mess.

As for me, if I was in charge of the BAF, I would ask the government to open up the pocket book and buy some Gripens and Eireye AWACS systems. And I would choose the J-10C if offered rather than any Russian types.

At least for the BAF, I would want a Western/Chinese mix. Oh well.

it doesn't convey any kind of political will to win a war.
I'd go further than that, i think its malicious intent. Bangladesh's GDP is four times Myanmar's and almost the same as Pakistan's. And despite that to be outgunned by Myanmar can't simply be put away as 'lack of will' or 'incompetence'. I think there's external influence or malicious intent of political leadership of Bangladesh that's keeping the BD military to less than minimal.

Maybe some external factors don't want BD becoming too independent. Maybe the Political leadership doesn't want the army to become too strong fearing a coup.

Some of the small arms, GMPG and HMG produced by Myanmar Defence Industries.
IMG_20171030_121939.png

IMG_20171030_122048.png

IMG_20171119_082021.png

0,000 of Myanmar Army. In terms of Air Force, Myanmar has the advantage as well. It operates 30 MiG 29's vs Bangladesh's 8 MiG 29's. The rest are defensive old interceptors that cannot be effectively used in offensive strike roles.

You nailed it.. i dont think anybody even BAF remotely understand this.
Most of them will fall back to taliban type guerilla warfare. Thats what their mindset is. Even I heard it from one of the top general of Bangladesh army.

Last edited:
Russia to sell six SU-30 warplanes to Myanmar: RIA

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia will sell six SU-30 warplanes to Myanmar, the RIA news agency reported on Monday, citing the Russian Defence Ministry.

Myanmar was also interested in buying other Russian military hardware for its land and naval forces, RIA reported.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...0-warplanes-to-myanmar-ria-idUSKBN1FB0UM?il=0

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-six-su-30-warplanes-to-myanmar---ria-9883982

View attachment 449326
View attachment 449327
congrtzz for ur su-30ks..:cheesy::cheesy:

Last edited:

Did any of you guys catch this? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom