What's new

Clinton threats Pakistan over IP pipeline

Excessive load is being put on only one energy source,that is Sui gas,which should be handled with care as it is perhaps the most suitably placed gas source in the country..Slap bang in the middle of Pakistan..

Local power projects need to be developed so that if one source goes off,there is a planB,and that is local...
For any reason Sui gas is cut off today,the whole country will grind to a halt.There is no Plan B.

The Gas pipeline will serve india and give them Cheap Gas,while Pakistan will spend silly amounts of resources and money on the security ofthe piple line..
Lets make no mistake..security of just about anything is a major issue and first to be considered while embarking on any project.
and a thousand kilometer long gas pipeline will be attacked left and right.

Same cannot be done with locally produce power.

Oh mere beli eh karae ga kaun ? All of us know that we need to diversify our power sources. I once came across a research paper written by someone who was tasked by the Govt. to conduct a survey of all sites in Punjab where hydro-electric potential can be exploited without building any costly dams or even barrages but more like a mix of multiple small hydel units and you know what no less than a 100 such places were identified with the possible total electricity production of about 2-3000 MW with the possibility of increasing much more with better site construction and better turbines and plants being imported from elsewhere. Numerous communities all over the world use micro hydel projects to power small communities in some of the more mountainous areas of their countries; the paper mentioned about the possibility of hundreds of such sites all over Azad kashmir, GB and parts of KP where such projects can be initiated with minimal cost and in minimum time.

You know full well the potential our coal mines in Thar has, that there maybe greater deposits of gas and petroleum in Balochistan and parts of the rest of the country. That we have a massive solar and wind energy potential in Pakistan. Add to that the dams that we can and should be constructing and we should be very well set for the future but again I say : Koi utunu hee aa ke karaee tee ho sakda warna we're f**ked.

plz spare india from this pipeline

India is in need of more power souces and gas is one of the cheapest..Unles the time when mega size Nuclear power plants are up and running in india..India will be on the lookout for a chewp power source for a growing economy...and Iranian gas is one of them..
Or india can Do away with Building or Buying gas super tankers

LNG%20Tanker.jpg

Pakistan could face damaging consequences if it opts for IP gas pipeline: Clinton

WASHINGTON: The US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that America has made it clear to Pakistan that if it goes ahead with the proposed Iran-Pakistan pipeline, it could face consequences as underlined in the Iran Sanctions Act.
Addressing the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Foreign Operations in Washington, Secretary Clinton said that they supported the alternative of a pipeline via Turkmenistan.
Clinton’s remarks were in response to a Congressman Rep. Lewis asking the US Secretary of State why the budget request for the State Department included a $1 billion request to help Pakistan address its energy problems. Secretary Clinton said that the Turkmenistan pipeline was a better alternative, predictable and will avoid business with Iran.
She added that embarking on the construction of a Pak-Iran pipeline is in violation of the Iran Sanctions Act. She said, “We all know what the consequences of that law are.” The US Secretary of State added that this move would be particularly damaging for Pakistan because the country’s economy is already shaky, and would further undermine Pakistan’s economic status.
“We have been very clear in pointing out the consequences of building this pipeline.”

@Dawn
------------------
Reason of their presence in our Region...

Pakistan's relationship with Iran is cordial but in the World of trade and economy, cordiality does not even buy a cup of coffee. Pakistan's dependence on the US is multidimensional which includes educational, cultural, economic and military ties. For us to piss off the USA for the sake of Iran, what are we getting from Iran. I have always been a supporter of Iran but I am disappointed by the attitude of Iranians towards Pakistan.

Iranian people have an arrogant attitude. They think they are better than Pakistanis and this impression is based on my interaction with large numbers of Iranians I have met throughout my life. I find very little camaraderie or friendship with Iranians and most Iranians do not care for Pakistan. I know Iranians who are living in Pakistan for decades because they don't want to go back to Iran and even they show very little gratitude towards Pakistan. They live in our country, use our services and yet moan and ***** about Pakistan,

My feeling now is to let them face their fate and I would be reluctant to suffer any losses because of them. Why should Pakistan suffer economic losses for these arrogant people, who show no appreciation for what Pakistan did for them. Even their Nuclear program got a huge lift from Pakistani help and yet I have not come across a single Iranian who acknowledges that help.

I say we maintain our cordial relationship with them and give them same lip service they have been giving us. They backstabbed us with India and did things that were contrary to our interest. Guess what, two can play the same game. I say we protect our interest and deal with their enemies like they have been dealing with our enemies to protect their selfish interests.

Guess what iran - What goes around comes around. We have a crude expression in our language and roughly translated in English it means " The clever crow in the end eats SH_ _."

Oh mere beli eh karae ga kaun ? All of us know that we need to diversify our power sources. I once came across a research paper written by someone who was tasked by the Govt. to conduct a survey of all sites in Punjab where hydro-electric potential can be exploited without building any costly dams or even barrages but more like a mix of multiple small hydel units and you know what no less than a 100 such places were identified with the possible total electricity production of about 2-3000 MW with the possibility of increasing much more with better site construction and better turbines and plants being imported from elsewhere. Numerous communities all over the world use micro hydel projects to power small communities in some of the more mountainous areas of their countries; the paper mentioned about the possibility of hundreds of such sites all over Azad kashmir, GB and parts of KP where such projects can be initiated with minimal cost and in minimum time.

You know full well the potential our coal mines in Thar has, that there maybe greater deposits of gas and petroleum in Balochistan and parts of the rest of the country. That we have a massive solar and wind energy potential in Pakistan. Add to that the dams that we can and should be constructing and we should be very well set for the future but again I say : Koi utunu hee aa ke karaee tee ho sakda warna we're f**ked.

The time is such critical in Pakistan that businesses are being shut due to power shortage..Perhaps larger factory owners should take initiative and invest in local power projects for their own businesses..The whole of Europe did this during industrial revolution .. using local resources privately to produce power locally for local consumption...and reaped benifits.

india under US pressure quit the project...

India left the project because of the security concern of pipelines being blown by anti-India fanboys in Pakistan and we don't have this much power shortage right now in India.

Ignoring Washington’s pressure on IP project

‘Pak to finalise import offer of 80,000 barrels of crude oil’

* Minister for petroleum and natural resources says high-level delegation led by him will leave for Tehran in the second week of March to materialise offer by Iran

By Zeeshan Javaid

ISLAMABAD: Brushing aside the gigantic pressure from Washington to abandon trade agreements between Pakistan and Iran, particularly the billion-dollar Iran Pakistan (IP) gas pipeline project costing $1.25 billion, Islamabad has decided to finalise the offer to import 80,000 barrels of crude oil from Iran till end of March.

Talking to reporters at the Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDC) secretariat, Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Dr Asim Hussain said that a high-level delegation led by him would leave for Tehran in the second week of March to materialise the offer by Iran to import 80,000 barrels crude oil per day.

He said that the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources will also open a tender next week to invite companies for construction of infrastructure of IP gas pipeline project in Pakistani territory, adding that Tehran offered financing of $250 million, however Islamabad has been seeking its double $500 million to lay a pipeline for transporting fuel.

Hussain further maintained that Iran was ready for three months deferred facility but added that it should be forward-looking otherwise the disparity between the rupee and dollar could hurt us. He said discussion was coming on with the State Bank of Pakistan to fine-tune the proposal.

Because of severe disagreements between US and Iran, Washington has expressed its serious concerns over the IP project and is forcing Pakistan to abandon this project and shift interests from IP to TAPI project. US team offered Pakistani energy managers financial assistance to work on TAPI project as an alternate to IP pipeline as well as construction of liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals during the fourth round of energy dialogue held in Islamabad as dated September 15.

Islamabad and Tehran inked the Gas Sales Purchase Agreement (GSPA) of IP gas pipeline project during June 2009 within certain terms and conditions including that Pakistan would pay 78 percent of crude oil parity price to Iran after mutual consensus of both countries.

One important thing is that Iran has completed more than 90 percent construction work on the pipeline infrastructure from their side and Pakistan should start the infrastructure development on priority basis, which unfortunately could not be observed.

While reviewing the following differences between two mega imported energy resources IP and TAPI, he maintained that the actual cost of TAPI was announced at $3.2 billion, which was later on shot up to $7.6 billion because of long delay in materialisation due to the ongoing war on terror in Afghanistan, while the cost of IP gas pipeline was at $1.25 billion, which is four times cheaper than the trans-afghan project.

Controlling the law and order situation and arrangement of security infrastructure is much easier on the pipeline network of IP as it would pass through Khuzdar district of Balochistan province and Karachi in Sindh, while the main pipeline will continue towards Multan, and in case of TAPI more security risk is involved due to continued war between Afghanistan and west.

About the LNG imports from Qatar, the petroleum minister said that the terms from Doha have been received. He said they have indicated an initial price of $15 to 16 mmbtu, which will be considered by the government and after due diligence counter offer would be made. Hussain added that Qatar has agreed to provide 3.5 million tonnes of LNG for 15-year period. He said that Qatar has also clarified that they would be carrying out due diligence of private parties interested to import LNG from Qatar to Pakistan.

He further maintained that the Petroleum Ministry was working on a new refining policy to increase their refining capacity. He said incentives would be provided to attract more investment in the sector. He said that the new policy would make it mandatory for the refineries to have at least one hydro cracker.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

The time is such critical in Pakistan that businesses are being shut due to power shortage..Perhaps larger factory owners should take initiative and invest in local power projects for their own businesses..The whole of Europe did this during industrial revolution .. using local resources privately to produce power locally for local consumption...and reaped benifits.

Some of them have, I know that the Nishat Group have their own power plants powering their textile mills and even selling it to nearby businesses and small communities. I met an MD/CEO of a group of sugar mills and he apprised me of how they generate their own electricity by using bagasse and molasses as fuels and should the Govt. help them out they (the sugar mills in Punjab) have the potential of being self sufficient in terms of power and even provide electricity to much of Southern Punjab - Bhawalnager and enjoining areas to use his words.

Till USA in afghanistan impossible stability in kashmir very old indian pakistani dispute never palestine issue gona be solved ever never similar supporting india against china the country who had broken all records of human rights voilations in kashmir with the help of hindu extremist terrorist indian organisation shev cena bal takray most important pakistan Balochistan issue with the support of india because of several reasons cia raw creating instabilty inside pakistan since long similar syria iran jordan libya iraq qatar shaam etc etc many other countries going to be new target pre planned 911 al qaida osama cia agent useless propaganda war started by haterd jewish lobbies sitting in america playing making american people fool making their life more risky and eating their taxes like parasites playing the chess in their congress for their devilish desires to capture muslim world resources oil hunger to cool down their haterdness ever some one heard in europe or canda america uk bomb blasts suicide attacks Drones no why ???? till america itself dont splash into pieces like russia including israel impossible for this world to live in piece.

yes and there is no security concern in TAPI???

India is also an energy-starved country and needs gas. Almost half of india's population burn leaves to keep warm in the winter.

The real reason why India backed down from IPI is because Amreeka offered them Civil Nuclear deal.

TAPI will have to go through Afghanistan and Afghanistan has an uncertain future. Who will we have to make agreements on transit fees in Afghanistan? Taliban? Karzai? United States?

Better for Pakistan to cancel TAPI and work on I-P. Iran is a much stable country than Afghanistan.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom