What's new

Classified 1962 war report revealed

It basically says China wanted a peaceful solution and asked India many times to negotiate.But Nehru mistook Chinese pacifism for weakness(China was under famine and isolated diplomatically at that time) and tried to occupy the undemarcated territory on Indo-Chinese border.

The Chinese were baffled why India would want to attack China in a situation when it had no hope of winning
Indian military was outnumbered and ill equipped.It had no logistics and the terrain didn't favor Indian army at all.

On top of this local commanders were chosen on the basis of political allegiance rather than ability, by some guy called Menon.

Many soldiers were killed by cold,lack of food and poor tactics rather than the enemy.
Anyways after defeating Indian forces the Chinese announced a pre determined ceasefire and retreated back to their positions.

Thats the gist of it.

It basically says China wanted a peaceful solution and asked India many times to negotiate.But Nehru mistook Chinese pacifism for weakness(China was under famine and isolated diplomatically at that time) and tried to occupy the undemarcated territory on Indo-Chinese border.

The Chinese were baffled why India would want to attack China in a situation when it had no hope of winning
Indian military was outnumbered and ill equipped.It had no logistics and the terrain didn't favor Indian army at all.

On top of this local commanders were chosen on the basis of political allegiance rather than ability, by some guy called Menon.

Many soldiers were killed by cold,lack of food and poor tactics rather than the enemy.
Anyways after defeating Indian forces the Chinese announced a pre determined ceasefire and retreated back to their positions.

Thats the gist of it.
He was the defense minister. a megalomaniac . him and Gen Kaul were the most to blame for the fiasco. I still remember how my father said that menon in order to cut costs ordered the instead of jerrycans , oil should be taken up in 200 ltr barrels. it was a physical impossibility in those days to take them up peaks .

Thats the gist of it.

To sum it in one sentence 1962 is self inflicted wound .

Basically we invited Chinese to attack us ...thin king they would not call our bluff ...but hell they did .

I wonder why Chinese announced unilateral ceasefire and ceded the territory they had won in war to India ...

Probably they did not want war to be dragged too long .

If India had used its Air force the outcome may have been different. China may also have been wary off involvement of USSR and US in any protracted war with India .

Thats the gist of it.

There was also a series of serious failures of communication within various branches of government and army ...largely due to " Top - Down" culture of " No questions to be asked ....no answers to be expected ...just do as you are told " mentality ....

Last edited:

Basically we invited Chinese to attack us ...thin king they would not call our bluff ...but hell they did .

I wonder why Chinese announced unilateral ceasefire and ceded the territory they had won in war to India ...

If India had used its Air force the outcome may have been different. China may also have been wary off involvement of USSR and US in any protracted war with India .
Actually our forward policy was deeply flawed, the senior military leadership actually ignored the warning from those on the ground. And the higher ups just ended up listening to a few cronies ,

Well they certainly didn't do it out of goodness of their hearts, thats for sure.
China had both USA and USSR breathing down its neck in those days so it couldn't afford to be seen as aggressor.
Their aim was to get India to back off.

Brigadier Dalvi's book was an eye opener in this context. Perhaps we can fairly guess what would be in that report if we read his book.

Actually our forward policy was deeply flawed, the senior military leadership actually ignored the warning from those on the ground. And the higher ups just ended up listening to a few cronies ,

so it won't be wrong to say that 1962 was self imposed and self inflicted and self aggravated debacle ...
But I am seriously perplexed ....Nehru who was such a pacifist ( at least that's how I visualize him ) ....why would he engage into something as provocative as Forward policy ???

I mean what exactly caused Nehru to take such an extreme step ....

he must have been deluding ....

But so are the all narcissistic egoists !!!

Cut off from reality and drowned in their own world of delusions they can't see the burning reality ....

what exactly did Nehru expect China to do with his forward policy ???

No country will take such aggression lightly ...no matter in what great difficulty it might be .

I am sure Nehru must have had his own reasons to undertake such fatalistic policy decision

what must have been the reasons behind it for somebody like Nehru to gamble defense of nation on his Forward policy ???

Was Nehru misled ???

Brigadier Dalvi's book was an eye opener in this context. Perhaps we can fairly guess what would be in that report if we read his book.

The report itself is available, if you wish to peruse through it. Jgbt has provided a link in the preceding posts.

so it won't be wrong that 1962 was self imposed and self inflicted and self aggravated ...
But I am seriously perplexed ....Nehru who was such a pacifist ( at least that's how I visualize him ) ....why would he engage into something as provocative as Forward policy ???

It is all about strategic posts all along the borders.

so it won't be wrong that 1962 was self imposed and self inflicted and self aggravated ...

Nehru seriously miscalculated the effectiveness of Panchasheel and China's stand on the border issue. Even today, the popular narrative demonizes Zhou En Lai and paints Nehru as the naive, friendly guy who was backstabbed.

There is a book called "Indian army after independence" by lancer. its an eye opener. it showed how nehru was misled by certain cronies close to him and they were all yes men . none had the backbone to stand up and say the truth.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom