What's new

Classical music thread

AHA!

My favourite, first, Lucia Popp singing Mozart's tour de force from The Magic Flute, Der Hoelle Rache.

Mozart wrote this for his sister-in-law, who could sing above a high C, an F, and this has always been a challenge for the singer. It is fascinating to compare different versions and listen to the vast difference that subtle changes in tempo can bring.

She was one of a kind. Pity she left us early.

Most people think of 'La Donna e Mobile' when they sit around sulking, thinking of how the female sex needs to be put in its place. But this one, from 'The Marriage of Figaro', is a blitzkrieg compared to the other's walk on the Monte Carlo quayside.

This is the Enzo Pinza version, but listening to the other two, Tito Gobbi (my personal favourite) and Bryn Terfel, gives a sensational feel for how the same number can be interpreted so differently by different artistes.

She was one of a kind. Pity she left us early.

Gorgeous.

By the way, her best competition for that number, Der Hoelle Rache, is perhaps Gruberova.

Did you try out that Gardiner's K.201 recording that I had posted earlier? There isn't a better way to spend you Muharram holidays.

Wait, I'll post it for you. Have fun.

I'm going to quote myself and say that this piece is perhaps one of the most glorious and sublime examples of man paying tribute to his creator.
Sharm kr,, Moharram ha!!!
:)

Sorry for the brazen diversion from opera for a moment, this is something I had to share.

It's Scandinavian folk music, from Denmark and WAY north in the Faroe Islands, includes wedding songs with a classical take.

Violin is a very difficult one to learn and play properly. I always fancied it too, but I went for more pragmatic piano and guitar :D...and I guess the recorder if you count that as an instrument :P.

Not everyone can marry a supermodel, so pick a lady that has genuine heart within your reach :)

But going for anything other than a violin would blasphemous. :P Don't know why I didn't say that before. If and when I do it, I would have to do it properly. Too scrupulous to have it any other way.

Guitar and piano myself too. But soon I hope to obtain a mandolin and learn that too. And yes, guitar's a good instrument if you don't want to go through the whole classical training stuff, lots of good tabs out there, no need as such for sheet music.

Heard Paganini's Caprice 24 on piano today.

Someone introduce me to Liszt please.

I have been deliberately ignoring opera but it seems to follow me everywhere these days.

Heard Paganini's Caprice 24 on piano today.

Someone introduce me to Liszt please.

I have been deliberately ignoring opera but it seems to follow me everywhere these days.

Liszt, there is too much to choose.

Let me give you my favourite:

Esp that grand finale (unfortunately used by the Nazis a tremendous amount).

But an absolutely day-dreaming piece of music for me (I often visualise achieving something grand and spectacular the way the build up creates and the climax finally is unleashed).

"It may be that when the angels go about their task praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however, that when they are together en famille they play Mozart." - Karl Barth

Mozart is how us mortals would praise God and yet make it seem ethereal . Oh Mozart! Andantino from Flute and Harp concerto keeps venturing into my head and I hold my breath very time it does.

This is Jerusalem, based on the poem by William Blake and the music by Sir Hubert Parry, it's one of Britain's anthems, though I personally prefer it even to the actual national anthem.

Small aside, I've only heard this in person once, and it wasn't at all expected. I was at St Paul's Cathedral in London, it's a great place to visit if you ever do come to London. I spent a few moments taking in the sights at the cathedral floor, that looks like this:

tumblr_mygyeq8BTn1saqicdo5_1280.jpg

I then made my way up the various levels to the top of the cathedral, some 500 steps, magnificent views at the top at the golden gallery. Upon making my way down I heard the sound of a distant organ being played.

I realised that it was the main organ pictured in the photograph above, to the left of the hall that stretches in. I rushed down to the cathedral floor as quickly as I could, since I adore organs. Alas, as soon as I entered the cathedral floor, the organ stopped playing. A few seconds later, they started playing again, and they played that song, Jerusalem.

It was quite something, it's a mighty organ, 4th largest in Britain with 7,000+ pipes!! That combined with the sights of the floor at St Paul's. The cathedral also has a massive dome. So the sound resonated and built up magnificently, your footsteps alone would echo, just imagine the sound of a mighty organ.

30c57f9f51856212145aebfeda592360.jpg

That was a memorable experience, the likes of which I didn't expect.

This is Jerusalem, based on the poem by William Blake and the music by Sir Hubert Parry, it's one of Britain's anthems, though I personally prefer it even to the actual national anthem.

Small aside, I've only heard this in person once, and it wasn't at all expected. I was at St Paul's Cathedral in London, it's a great place to visit if you ever do come to London. I spent a few moments taking in the sights at the cathedral floor, that looks like this:

tumblr_mygyeq8BTn1saqicdo5_1280.jpg

I then made my way up the various levels to the top of the cathedral, some 500 steps, magnificent views at the top at the golden gallery. Upon making my way down I heard the sound of a distant organ being played.

I realised that it was the main organ pictured in the photograph above, to the left of the hall that stretches in. I rushed down to the cathedral floor as quickly as I could, since I adore organs. Alas, as soon as I entered the cathedral floor, the organ stopped playing. A few seconds later, they started playing again, and they played that song, Jerusalem.

It was quite something, it's a mighty organ, 4th largest in Britain with 7,000+ pipes!! That combined with the sights of the floor at St Paul's. The cathedral also has a massive dome. So the sound resonated and built up magnificently, your footsteps alone would echo, just imagine the sound of a mighty organ.

30c57f9f51856212145aebfeda592360.jpg

That was a memorable experience, the likes of which I didn't expect.

Being a fan of Holst, one of my favourite English patriotic songs is:

Especially the ending verse! Love Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Brittania as well :D

On an aside, my favourite piece of music with Jerusalem in it has to be:

The picture is the famed open cluster the jewel box. One of my favourite astronomical treats and with which I have had the pleasure of viewing in all its glory on a moonless night in my 16 inch telescope many years back back when I lived in the tropics :) An apt image for paradise.

Much like your experience in St. Pauls, I had a similar experience with this song at St. Anne's near Quebec city. I will not forget it ever!

450px-Basilica_of_Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre_in_Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre%2C_Quebec%2C_Canada.jpg

5291257607_6a8c18c0f8_b.jpg

IMG_0470_1_2_hdr.jpg

@Vergennes @Taygibay

Do you guys like classical music?

Last edited:
I am actually a fan of random choice of music...from classical to pop, from folk to country music....anyway i have some in list & i wil share that.. anyway nice shares....

Back
Top Bottom