What's new

Classical music thread

Did you try out that Gardiner's K.201 recording that I had posted earlier? There isn't a better way to spend you Muharram holidays.

Wait, I'll post it for you. Have fun.

I'm going to quote myself and say that this piece is perhaps one of the most glorious and sublime examples of man paying tribute to his creator.

Came down with a cold so I have been listening to Joe's favourite Rage Over a Lost Penny among other piano pieces.

Tannhauser, always reminds me of:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain.

But the music itself always reminds me of Bugs Bunny in "Whats opera doc"?

@Nilgiri

Ever thought of composing a piece yourself?

I actually did during a dream...and I was humming it as I woke up.....it sounded so good, and I thought it must be something I already heard somewhere....so I promptly kind of forgot about it. Down the road I realised it was something unique as nothing has reminded me of it. The world has lost something GREAT! :P

Sort of like this tune is all I can remember:

Actual composing while awake, not something I have been able to do unfortunately. Maybe one day I will stumble across that wonderful tune in my subconscious somehow.

I forgot if this was before or after one of my best friends told me something similar happened with Paul McCartney and the song "yesterday".

What about you buddy?

I actually did during a dream...and I was humming it as I woke up.....it sounded so good, and I thought it must be something I already heard somewhere....so I promptly kind of forgot about it. Down the road I realised it was something unique as nothing has reminded me of it. The world has lost something GREAT! :P

Sort of like this tune is all I can remember:

Actual composing while awake, not something I have been able to do unfortunately. Maybe one day I will stumble across that wonderful tune in my subconscious somehow.

I forgot if this was before or after one of my best friends told me something similar happened with Paul McCartney and the song "yesterday".

What about you buddy?
You need to make an appointment with a hypnotist. I'll have to learn to play some instrument before I get to the writing part. Can't even read sheet music.

You need to make an appointment with a hypnotist. I'll have to learn to play some instrument before I get to the writing part. Can't even read sheet music.

I wouldnt want to put the hypnotist through the nightmare of going through all the bad music within me to get to the gem that may or may not be there somewhere in the interior. :P

If you want to pick up an instrument, I would suggest the guitar, this way you dont have to learn sheet music so quickly (or even at all), you can basically just do tabs and often play things by ear to get a feel for the notes. This includes for classical music too:

Many great musicians (Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton come to mind) all played by ear/intuition.

I wouldnt want to put the hypnotist through the nightmare of going through all the bad music within me to get to the gem that may or may not be there somewhere in the interior. :P

If you want to pick up an instrument, I would suggest the guitar, this way you dont have to learn sheet music so quickly (or even at all), you can basically just do tabs and often play things by ear to get a feel for the notes. This includes for classical music too:

Many great musicians (Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton come to mind) all played by ear/intuition.
But going for anything other than a violin would blasphemous. :P Don't know why I didn't say that before. If and when I do it, I would have to do it properly. Too scrupulous to have it any other way.

But going for anything other than a violin would blasphemous. :P Don't know why I didn't say that before. If and when I do it, I would have to do it properly. Too scrupulous to have it any other way.

Violin is a very difficult one to learn and play properly. I always fancied it too, but I went for more pragmatic piano and guitar :D...and I guess the recorder if you count that as an instrument :P.

Not everyone can marry a supermodel, so pick a lady that has genuine heart within your reach :)

Violin is a very difficult one to learn and play properly. I always fancied it too, but I went for more pragmatic piano and guitar :D...and I guess the recorder if you count that as an instrument :P.

Not everyone can marry a supermodel, so pick a lady that has genuine heart within your reach :)
Oh yes, I agree wholeheartedly but you know what love does to a man. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try.

How dare you compare something that possesses such individuality with superficial beauty? :mad:

Not only is it allowed sir, it's appreciated. :D

AHA!

My favourite, first, Lucia Popp singing Mozart's tour de force from The Magic Flute, Der Hoelle Rache.

Mozart wrote this for his sister-in-law, who could sing above a high C, an F, and this has always been a challenge for the singer. It is fascinating to compare different versions and listen to the vast difference that subtle changes in tempo can bring.

Back
Top Bottom