What's new

Classical music thread

I remember now; too late, and with egg all over my face. It was your repeated praise of Heifetz that made me go back, dig out recordings and listen to them over and over again. <sigh!> the travails of age!

Delicious, eh? Hope they are not ticklish!
It was really nice to talk to you, Joe. I'll leave you with Berlioz's Un Bal from his Symphonie Fantastique and the note he wrote with it.

"The artist finds himself in the most diverse situations in life, in the tumult of a festive party, in the peaceful contemplation of the beautiful sights of nature, yet everywhere, whether in town or in the countryside, the beloved image keeps haunting him and throws his spirit into confusion."

I'd say his music is the purest expression of human emotion. Can't do any better than that.

I suppose so, but can one really describe what emotions are? See the conundrum? :P

By the way, who's your favourite Beethoven interpreter?

Difficult to answer....because it varies on how I am feeling at the moment hehe. Gulda, Richter, Barenboim, Horowitz, Oistrakh, Gould, Ashkenazi, Kempf (in no particular order really)....the list kind of goes on and on. Hard to pick just one flower from this sizeable garden. Brendel, Goode, Sokolov, Gilels, Arrau...ok maybe its more of a forest hehe.

Out of them all I guess Eccentric "vocal" Gould is the most divisive, very little middle ground, you either love or hate his Beethoven...esp after listening to his Bach.

Its a pity we don't have recordings of Liszt's personal interpretations, only descriptions of what people heard/witnessed. I would imagine they were on a different level altogether. I suppose he is the Paganini of the Piano :P

I also like Perlman.

What do you think of Heifetz?

Along with Oistrakh, they are the modern violin trinity for me. But Menuhin and Zukerman make it hard to delineate.

Some things were just meant to be, lets be thankful they happened even though we were not there to see it firsthand:

Didn't know this thread existed. Thanks for this! Supposedly classical music also helps plants grow faster.

Poem of Regret for Enforcing a Coup D'Etat Against Sultan Abdülhamid II

Pretty good my friend, I was listening to egmont overture just now.
Have you by any chance listened to this one by Sir Neville Marriner and his Academy of St. Martin in the Fields? This just became my other favourite recording of the piece. The other one is also by Marriner. Very beautiful recording. The other two movements can be found on the same channel.

Have you by any chance listened to this one by Sir Neville Marriner and his Academy of St. Martin in the Fields? This just became my other favourite recording of the piece. The other one is also by Marriner. Very beautiful recording. The other two movements can be found on the same channel.

Sehr schon. Danke.

Sehr schon. Danke.
Haha, I've always thought of Mozart as a thorough Italian - by temperament. Very unlike the German masters: Bach, Goethe, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler etcetera. They're all very German; austere, introverted, conscientious, and disciplined.

I don't know, he might just be into Dracula....Aas much as I am into Nordic legend like Thor and Valkyrie and other god.

So what you are saying is you are more a Wagner (Nibelungen) guy and @KAL-EL is more a Bach (toccata and fugue) guy?

:P

So what you are saying is you are more a Wagner (Nibelungen) guy and @KAL-EL is more a Bach (toccata and fugue) guy?

:P

20220808_165554.jpg

Back
Top Bottom