What's new

Chinese UAV News & Discussions (Strictly)

DEFENSE NEWS

China Again Tries To Pierce Gulf Defense Market

The China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics, under the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp., has sold Cai Hong UAVs to “20 military users from more than 10 foreign countries,” Shi said.

"We believe most of our users would use the drones to patrol borders, reconnoiter targets and hit terrorists or insurgents, who usually own small anti-aircraft weapons capable of striking planes flying about 3,000 meters above the ground. Therefore the 5,000-meter altitude is high enough to ensure the safety of our drones," Shi said.

Michelson said that it was only a matter of time that a manufacturing giant like China began exporting its own line of UAVs. However, from observations of the design, they bear a striking resemblance to existing UAVs that have been in service and widely exported for decades. “General Atomics' Predator series UAVs and IAI [Israel Aerospace Industries] ‘Pioneer-like’ designs seem to have been adopted for the Cai Hong drone family.”

Michelson took exception to the article’s boast that the CH UAVs are "among the most lethal drones on the planet.” Further stating that while altitude enhances survivability, “these largely nonstealth, slow fliers retain the vulnerabilities of 1980-90s drones,” he said.

“Without looking at what is contained ‘under the hood’, one cannot be sure how lethal this class of UAVs really is,” Michelson said. “The electronics technology to have effective electronics countermeasures is not beyond China by any means, but one wonders why it would be packaged in lookalikes from the 1990s.”

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...8/report-chinese-combat-uavs-demand/83646008/

chinese_c_1461937899.jpg

Chinese CH-Series Drone
China Daily reported quoting Shi Wen, chief drone designer for the China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics in Beijing.

"The total value of the contracts we signed last year could definitely be one of the highest on the international market," Shi said. He did not reveal an exact figure.

The early models, CH-1 and CH-2, are small, unarmed reconnaissance craft that have a proven record in locating and monitoring targets, he says, adding that the CH-3, a larger midrange combat and reconnaissance drone, and the CH-4, a mid-altitude and high-endurance armed drone, have attracted buyers seeking powerful, affordable unmanned combat aircraft.

"Our best-seller so far is the CH-3, but the CH-4 has also received many orders," Shi says.

He declined to disclose which countries have purchased the series, revealing only that the academy's most valuable sale was worth hundreds of millions of US dollars.

China Space News reported in January last year that the academy would deliver about 200 CH drones to domestic and foreign users. Western media also cited Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates as buyers.

The first contract to export CH models was signed in 2003 and fulfilled in 2004, when a South Asian country bought several CH-1s, Shi says. Since then, the buyer has become a loyal user and is negotiating the purchase of some CH-4s, he adds.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/15...ies_Combat_Drones__Media_Reports#.VyRWxSNRXqB

The “Sharpsword” programme has been officially declared a complete success!!!:enjoy:

Time to move onto something of great significance。:D:D

152531szmzv70mjo4aauzy.jpg

China’s armed CH-3 drone spotted in Myanmar

CH-3 drone spotted in Myanmar

China’s armed CH-3 drone was spotted in Myanmar when preparing to fly. Myanmar to buy undisclosed number of new Chinese CH-3 UAVs developed by China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC), also known as the 11th Academy of CASC.

The CH-3 is a fixed wing unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV), also known as a combat drone or drone. At the rear of the fuselage is the engine installation which drives a three-bladed propeller unit in a “pusher” arrangement. Specifications include a wingspan of 8 meters while performance displays a 12-hour endurance window with a payload maximum of 80 kilograms. Range is 2,400 kilometers.

China’s CH-3 drone, which made its debut at the 2008 Zhuhai Air Show, can reportedly carry two laser-guided AR-1 air-to-ground missiles, similar to the U.S. Hellfire missile.

The CH-3 is operated by the Armed Forces of Nigeria, Pakistan and Myanmar .

New generation HD electro-optical payload carried by CH-4 - typical target detection range increased to over 20km

093525hn8aalglrk4w7gn7.jpg.thumb.jpg

The resolution of infrared imaging channel of the new electro-optical payload also upgraded

093540jqolw49jcj4julh8.jpg.thumb.jpg

Both are amongst many other improvements to the system。:D

Thats impressive, such picture clarity, on long range distance

Is their any news in chinese media on turboprop UAV s , CH 5 and Wing Loong II ?

Thats impressive, such picture clarity, on long range distance

Is their any news in chinese media on turboprop UAV s , CH 5 and Wing Loong II ?

Wing Loong II is GJ-2 for the PLA。

Now that maiden flight of Mianshan has been successfully conducted on a L-15 ,I am sure the new engine will soon find use in a new group of UAVs under development。

Now that maiden flight of Mianshan has been successfully conducted on a L-15 ,I am sure the new engine will soon find use in a new group of UAVs under development。

Maybe something similar to Predator Avanger, formerly predator C ...

But anyhow, I am eagerly waiting for the news, regarding CH 5 start of serial production/export/combt engagments. These things are going to be game changers, on the battlefield, of the low intensity, never ending war, like the one in Syria

Can You please explain the difference in meaning for the two designations used by the PLA for the Wing Loong I ?

As far as I know, both GJ-1 and WD-1K is used ? Is the first an internal designation, whereas the second the PLAAF name ?

Deino

Maybe something similar to Predator Avanger, formerly predator C ...

But anyhow, I am eagerly waiting for the news, regarding CH 5 start of serial production/export/combt engagments. These things are going to be game changers, on the battlefield, of the low intensity, never ending war, like the one in Syria

Shenzhen International UAV Expo(SZUAVE)2016 will be held 17-19 June 2016 in Shenzhen。

CASIC,the maker of CH-5, is one of over 60 exhibitors that will bring 200 plus drones for the event。

We may here more about the CH-5 then。

Can You please explain the difference in meaning for the two designations used by the PLA for the Wing Loong I ?

As far as I know, both GJ-1 and WD-1K is used ? Is the first an internal designation, whereas the second the PLAAF name ?

Deino

GJ is short for GongJi,meaning attack or assault in Chinese。

GJ-X is PLA designation for Wing Loong-X。

I have no idea what WD-1K means。WD for Wing Dragon?Loong=Dragon。

Last edited:
Shenzhen International UAV Expo(SZUAVE)2016 will be held 17-19 June 2016 in Shenzhen。

CASIC,the maker of CH-5, is one of over 60 exhibitors that will bring 100 plus drones for the event。

We may here more about the CH-5 then。

Hopefully so !

I just affraid, they are going to ignore it, if the trials are still ongoing despite the fact, video already appeared. Thats drone class is going to be a real game changer and an export hit in sales

The era, of serious replacement of conventional aviation with drones, started with turboprops !

Hopefully so !

I just affraid, they are going to ignore it, if the trials are still ongoing despite the fact, video already appeared. Thats drone class is going to be a real game changer and an export hit in sales

The era, of serious replacement of conventional aviation with drones, started with turboprops !

Totally agree。

China needs to either increase the TBO of existing WJ-9 or develop a new 900-hp turboprop。

WJ is Chinese short for turboprops。

Deino

The official designation is WD-1. WD-1K is for example used by PLAAF. If one day the chinese navy buys this MALE I suppose the official designation should be WD-1H (??).

You can see respectively here below the production serial number WD1K01004 (which should be read as WD-1K, Batch 01, forth plane) and WD106001 (which should be read as WD-1, Batch 06, 1st plane).

f0oRt2F.jpg

e5XCLYH.jpg

This last picture shows the very first Wing Loong received by Kazakhstan in March this year.

Henri K.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom