What's new

Chinese UAV News & Discussions (Strictly)

That's exactly what I was looking for ... now only missing is: what does WD- stand for ??

Totally agree。

China needs to either increase the TBO of existing WJ-9 or develop a new 900-hp turboprop

There is something interesting about turboprop engines in general, lately

Austrian manufacturer Diamond Aircraft, unveiled, theirs latest trainer engines, geared with ukrainian turboprop AI 450 S, with maximum take off power of 500 h.p. : http://www.diamond-air.at/media-cen...-flight-of-the-diamond-aircraft-dart-450.html

Thats engine, its not listed on the manufacturer company site, but, there is another engine named MS 14 : http://www.motorsich.com/eng/products/aircraft/tr/ms-14/

Maximum power at take off 1500 h.p. , in cruising regime 1050 h.p. ...

The tragedy, is Ukraine is currently american colony, and that renders obstacles, from buying theirs products, for countries not being in USA favor

But, regardless, China should try to acquire some of these engine, and reverse engineere, some, of theirs solutions, if they are better, than domestic one. That would come very useful in a incoming drone era

AI 450 engine, can be found on Ivchenko progress site : http://ivchenko-progress.com/?portfolio=ai-450&lang=en

Maximum cruise power 300 h.p. dry weight, only 103 kg. I wish chinese experts could examine this items

Last edited:

Austrian manufacturer Diamond Aircraft, unveiled, theirs latest trainer engines, geared with ukrainian turboprop AI 450 S, with maximum take off power of 500 h.p. : http://www.diamond-air.at/media-cen...-flight-of-the-diamond-aircraft-dart-450.html

Thats engine, its not listed on the manufacturer company site, but, there is another engine named MS 14 : http://www.motorsich.com/eng/products/aircraft/tr/ms-14/

The tragedy, is Ukraine is currently american colony, and that renders obstacles, from buying theirs products, for countries not being in USA favor

But, regardless, China should try to acquire some of these engine, and reverse engineere, some, of theirs solutions, if they are better, than domestic one. That would come very useful in a incoming drone era

AI 450 engine, can be found on Ivchenko progress site : http://ivchenko-progress.com/?portfolio=ai-450&lang=en

Maximum cruise power 300 h.p. dry weight, only 103 kg. I wish chinese experts could examine this items
The core engine of WJ-9 is the same as Turbomeca Arriel, so if WJ-9 is not good enough, then reverse engineered AI 450 could be worse considering French engine technology far ahead of Ukraine.

I think its too late. Chinese already got all the goodies from Ukraine before US can stop. QC-280 gas turbine. Ivchenko AL225 after burner engine. Zubr hovercraft....

Ukraine usefulness for China is over.

The core engine of WJ-9 is the same as Turbomeca Arriel, so if WJ-9 is not good enough, then reverse engineered AI 450 could be worse considering French engine technology far ahead of Ukraine.

I admit, I wasnt aware of that. Do you know, when WJ 9 received certification, in the 90s or recently ?

Ukraine usefulness for China is over.

Yanukovich, before hi was removed from power by US backed criminals, had a plan for wide cooperation and technology transfer with China. I know, China, bought quite a lot crucial technologies from Ukraine, but maybe, there was still room for particular tech cooperation in both airplane/ helllicopter engines department and tank engines, alloys, metallurgy ...

Maybe that cooperation would benefit some chinese projects, and boost their bringing in the serial production ( for example light helllicopters). But after american backed junta, took over, ukrainian industry is doomed to end up in scrap metal junk yard (most of it)

I admit, I wasnt aware of that. Do you know, when WJ 9 received certification, in the 90s or recently ?

Yanukovich, before hi was removed from power by US backed criminals, had a plan for wide cooperation and technology transfer with China. I know, China, bought quite a lot crucial technologies from Ukraine, but maybe, there was still room for particular tech cooperation in both airplane/ helllicopter engines department and tank engines, alloys, metallurgy ...

Maybe that cooperation would benefit some chinese projects, and boost their bringing in the serial production ( for example light helllicopters). But after american backed junta, took over, ukrainian industry is doomed to end up in scrap metal junk yard (most of it)

Tank engine? The recent VT-4 tank has a domestic 1300HP with automatic gearbox and digital transmission. It can be upgrade to 1500HP on customer requirement but not require as Chinese tank are lighter compare to western counterpart. The weight to power ratio is the same.

Helo? Its seems China has no problem with Z-20 helo project going at quite a fast pace with no sight of engine problem. While Z-10 gunship has an uprated WZ-9G turboshaft and WZ-16 turboshaft entering service soon.

Ship engine, given the serial production of Type052D destroyer and Type055 production soon. QC-280 gas turbine has mass produced.

While the AL225-Ivchenko after burner engine clone, aka Mingshan just completed maiden flight and all seems going well given the high profile of media exposure of L-15 advance trainer meaning they must be confident or on track for delivered.

Zubr has also completed complete domestic manufacturing in Guangzhou shipyard.,

The only area I think Ukraine can contributed will be Y-30 project where Ukraine advance turboprop for An-70 but given the time for Y-30 to enter service in not so future. I can be sure a similar turboprop can be developed in time when it enter service.

in the 90s or recently ?
In 1990s for the initial version
Maybe that cooperation would benefit some chinese projects, and boost their bringing in the serial production ( for example light helllicopters)
D-18T and D-136-2 may be in the induction list and on discussion for future induction, but not something like light helicopter. Ukraine is not every anti-China, and our relationship is not very bad at the moment.

Thank you, for the input guys

Yes, super heavy aeroplane/ hellicopter engine class, could have been valuable asset for China. Along with AN 70, which is some kind of martyr among the airplanes. Poor thing had three chances , but nothing was materialized due to the : collaps of USSR, orange revolution in 2004, and maidan armed gang coup in 2014

Ukraine will necer going to be able to produce it. If S. Department let them they should sell techincal documentation to China, its the only country, being able to materialize highly demanding industrial projects, for Ukraine poor AN 70 is past tense

Ukraine is not officialy anti china, but they are nothing but theirs sorry puppet and marionette dog barking at their signal. But, of course, that wont stop China from rapid progress in technology and research field

Ukraine will necer going to be able to produce it. If S. Department let them they should sell techincal documentation to China, its the only country, being able to materialize highly demanding industrial projects, for Ukraine poor AN 70 is past tense
We have Y-20 and Y-9, so An-70 is useless for us as the two that we have has covered the lift range of An-70.
Ukraine is not officialy anti china, but they are nothing but theirs sorry puppet and marionette dog barking at their signal. But, of course, that wont stop China from rapid progress in technology and research field
Things are quite tricky here. Motor Sich can supply us with D-136-2, so does Russian. So it means they have direct competition with Russian here, and to make Russian feel pain, they are very happy to supply us with the technology of D-136-2.

Things are quite tricky here. Motor Sich can supply us with D-136-2, so does Russian. So it means they have direct competition with Russian here, and to make Russian feel pain, they are very happy to supply us with the technology of D-136-2.

There were some rumors about joined russo chinese heavy weight hellicopter , and Russia will be working on theirs own engine fitted for the project. I think only supplier of D 136 turboshaft is Ukraine. Time will tell, how development ends up, depending is China going to stick with domestic project, or work with Russia on joint one. And what is going to happen in Ukraine by that time. I would say, better stick with the Russia, if only russians are so unpredictable and irrational

Btw, does China has domestic engine similar to this : http://ivchenko-progress.com/?portfolio=ai-450-2&lang=en ?

Turboshaft for small hellicopters. If so it would be very helpful , for China to build small unmanned attack hellicopter UAV. It would be an export hit, such is CH familiy and Wing Loong

Last edited:
There were some rumors about joined russo chinese heavy weight hellicopter , and Russia will be working on theirs own engine fitted for the project. I think only supplier of D 136 turboshaft is Ukraine. Time will tell, how development ends up, depending is China going to stick with domestic project, or work with Russia on joint one. And what is going to happen in Ukraine by that time. I would say, better stick with the Russia, if only russians are so unpredictable and irrational
D 136 turboshaft despite powerful is still a soviet era product. I am sure, China and Russia will developed a new modernized one with new material for longer lifespan and updated software.

I am sure, China and Russia will developed a new modernized one with new material for longer lifespan and updated software.

Sadly, only option is to wait , and see when and if this project is going to be materialized

China, definately needs, a big fleet of heavy weight hellicopters

I would say, better stick with the Russia, if only russians are so unpredictable and irrational
Problem is the Russian engine is still on paper, so our side is more prone to use D-136-2. Anyway, this project is on the early days, so we can not predict what will happen in future.
Btw, does China has domestic engine similar to this : http://ivchenko-progress.com/?portfolio=ai-450-2&lang=en ?

Turboshaft for small hellicopters. If so it would be very helpful , for China to build small unmanned attack hellicopter UAV. It would be an export hit, such is CH familiy and Wing Loong
There is no attack helicopter UAV in China. Don't know if they have future goal to arm the helicopter UAV.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom