What's new

Chinese UAV News & Discussions (Strictly)

Does Wing Loong II exists in the nature, at least as the flying prototype ?

Does Wing Loong II exists in the nature, at least as the flying prototype ?
I can say yes, based on analysis. We have no picture of Wing Loong II but another very similiar one like CH-4 exist and operational with Iraq army.

Chinese_CH4_Combat_Drone.jpg

I can say yes, based on analysis. We have no picture of Wing Loong II but another very similiar one like CH-4 exist and operational with Iraq army.

I agree ... if You compare the side profile on the official data sheet for the Wing Loong II and compare it to the so far unknown UAV posted in March, I would say even if the lower tail fin is missing, it is already flying !

PLAAF Wing Loong II UAV - 17.11.15 chart + real prototype.jpg

According to Huitong, the Wing Loong I in PLAAF service is known as the GJ-1 but now also as the WD-1K !!

Anyone with an idea, what these letters mean ?
a050.gif

Deino

石文总师介绍表示,彩虹-5无人机使用汽油发动机续航时间可达40小时,在将来进行动力拓展后可达100小时。作为一款中空无人机升限可达9000-10000米,对外出口版本载荷480公斤,而国内使用的版本载荷可达800-900公斤,配合不同的设备,可以在察打一体,侦察,运输等功能间切换。和彩虹-3比,无论是尺寸还是性能都有了非常高的提升。在民用方面也有很重要的应用
Something interesting. It seems that export UAV playload has been limited to 480kg by the government

ch-caaa-5_1448183112.jpg

CH-CAAA-5 Drone (Image: China Daily)

China’s biggest military drone, the CH-5 was displayed at an unmanned systems industry fair in Shenzhen on Friday.

The CH-5 combat/reconnaissance drone, developed by China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA) made its first flight in August.

AAA Designers told Chinese state media that the CH-5 is made of composite materials and has a wingspan of 20 meters. It can stay in the air for about 40 hours and operate at an altitude of up to 10 km.

It is able to fly with a weight of 3,000 kg and carry 900 kg of equipment and weapons, CAAA engineers were quoted by Chinese state media as saying. "The larger carrying capacity enables the CH-5 to have more reconnaissance equipment so it can detect any given target within a radius of 80 km," said Lan Wenbo, a chief engineer of CAAA said.

"We have sold the CH-3 to several foreign nations and now we plan to launch the export version of the CH-5 to the international market. It can perform air-to-ground strike, reconnaissance and transport operations,” Shi Wen, chief designer of the CH series at the CAAA was quoted by state media.

The CH-5 can host advanced radar that can penetrate thick walls or cave to find out terrorists hiding there.

China Begins Hard-Sell Of Its Biggest Ever Military Drone

Wing Loong II is China biggest UCAV drone. This CH-5 is for export mainly.

China's new CH-5 heavyweight military drone specifications

It's interesting to compare the different design choices between Chinese and American drones. In the CH-5, the Chinese team chose a less powerful turboprop engine. However, a less heavy and powerful engine enables the Chinese CH-5 to stay in the air for an extra ten hours than the American Reaper.

The Chinese CH-5 military drone first flew in August 2015. The wall-penetrating radar is a nice feature.

Latest, biggest drone goes on display at industry exposition | ChinaDaily

"The CH-5 combat/reconnaissance drone, developed by China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics under China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp, made its first flight in August, becoming the heaviest and strongest military drone in China."
----------

China unveils Rainbow 5 mega killer #drone design – an annotated infographic

j0xgLa1.jpg

----------

China Begins Hard-Sell Of Its Biggest Ever Military Drone | DefenseWorld

2Rkq1aE.jpg

According to Huitong, the Wing Loong I in PLAAF service is known as the GJ-1 but now also as the WD-1K !!

Anyone with an idea, what these letters mean ?
a050.gif

Deino

IMHO, W = Unmanned, D = Ground or Attaque, K = Air.

I made this assumption because of the reference WZ-xx in which W = Unmanned, Z = Recognition

Henri K.

IMHO, W = Unmanned, D = Ground or Attaque, K = Air.

I made this assumption because of the reference WZ-xx in which W = Unmanned, Z = Recognition

Henri K.

You are correct.

WD=Wu ren Da Ji = unmanned strike .. and similar GJ = Gong Ji=strike

Back
Top Bottom