What's new

Chinese UAV News & Discussions (Strictly)

IHS Jane's: UAE, Saudi Arabia operating Chinese CH-4 UAVs over Yemen
Jeremy Binnie, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
17 December 2015

1646367_-_main.jpg

This UAV at Saudi Arabia's Jizan Regional Airport on 10 July is probably a CH-4 as the UAE has yet to receive the first of the Predator XPs it has ordered. Source: DigitalGlobe/Google Earth
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have both acquired Chinese-made unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to meet urgent operational requirements arising from their military intervention in Yemen, it was revealed during a panel discussion held by the Atlantic Council think tank on 8 December.

"The drones the UAE is using in Yemen are Chinese because they failed to get US approval," US Marine Corps General (retired) James L Jones said. Gen Jones served as National Security Advisor in 2009-2010 and is now affiliated with the Atlantic Council.

Nawaf Obaid, a former advisor to the Saudi ambassadors to the United Kingdom and the United States, immediately added "that is true, us too", indicating Saudi Arabia has also acquired Chinese UAVs because it could not obtain US ones.

"[The UAVs are] an example of things we could have done, but we didn't do, and now people who are more agile have been able to send drones to the UAE," Jones said. "We have a serious problem in the way and the speed with which we come to the aid of our friends and allies with equipment."

The third member of the panel, Barry Pavel, the director of the Atlantic Council's Scowcroft Center, agreed, saying, "All our Gulf partners want US weapons, they are the best in the world … but it is a really, really difficult process [to obtain them]. If you can't get that wonderful jewel on the shelf, but you can get fake jewellery that still does the job, you are going to start to go in that direction because you are in active operations and you need this equipment."

"We need to get our act together, streamline and make our processes more effective," Pavel added.

When asked about the problems in the US arms export process, Jones identified the end-use monitoring agreements system as "something that most of our allies really dislike".
View attachment 280683

If I'm not wrong, this is not CASC's CH-4 which is used by these 2 countries but AVIC's Wing Loong.

Henri K.

If I'm not wrong, this is not CASC's CH-4 which is used by these 2 countries but AVIC's Wing Loong.

Henri K.
It seems Wing Loong is never an export product. Solely for PLAAF usage only. CH series UCAV is more orient towards export market. We have seen CH-4 in Iraq series, CH-3 with Nigeria and Pakistan Buraq but never see Wing Loong proof of operating in foreign services.

It seems Wing Loong is never an export product. Solely for PLAAF usage only. CH series UCAV is more orient towards export market. We have seen CH-4 in Iraq series, CH-3 with Nigeria and Pakistan Buraq but never see Wing Loong proof of operating in foreign services.
No,UAV is not that sensitive. The goverment just restricted the playload to 480 kg

No,UAV is not that sensitive. The goverment just restricted the playload to 480 kg
There is no proof China export Wing Loong UCAV. I think most report mistake CH-4 as Wing Loong. Wing Loong is only in PLAAF service and is not available for export. It flies faster and more advanced with more powerful sensor.

For some reason Israel does not disclose its UAV attack capabilities, despite swarms of reports.
Interesting ... Israel militry force has powerful weapons, i really don't know what reason to stop u develop the attack UAV, must import 'Reaper' from U.S ?

Interesting ... Israel militry force has powerful weapons, i really don't know what reason to stop u develop the attack UAV, must import 'Reaper' from U.S ?
I did not say Israel does not have attack UAV, I said Israel does not disclose them. The existence of attack UAV's is almost certain. Because of uncounted reports. Also here is a leaked footage:

On 4:17 it shows attack by a "Zik" which is a nickname of Hermes-450 UAV in IDF.

what happend to Sharp Sword UAV? No more news so long? Last time it had its 20min flight test.

It's widely known that Saudi Arabia and the UAE operates Pterodactyl-I (Wing Loong I) UAVs.

what happend to Sharp Sword UAV? No more news so long? Last time it had its 20min flight test.

The 2nd "improved" prototype is rumored to fly in 2016.

It's widely known that Saudi Arabia and the UAE operates Pterodactyl-I (Wing Loong I) UAVs.
No, there is no photo proof of Wing Loong in Saudi and UAE service. If so, please show it. Latest photo show its CH-4B and not Wing Loong in Saudi military service. I believe most news agency including Jane mistaken the CH-4B as Wing Loong since its looks very similar on top if taken by Satellite.

2.jpg

No, there is no photo proof of Wing Loong in Saudi and UAE service. If so, please show it. Latest photo show its CH-4B and not Wing Loong in Saudi military service. I believe most news agency including Jane mistaken the CH-4B as Wing Loong since its looks very similar on top if taken by Satellite.

View attachment 280869

Pterodactyl UAVs have, in fact, been photographed in UAE colors:
WingLoong1.jpg

Saudi Arabia's purchase of the Pterodactyl has been reported amongst Western press:

Chinese Drones Soon Flying Over Saudi Arabia | Popular Science
China to Sell Saudi Arabia Drones | The Diplomat
Saudi Arabia joins the killer drone arms race | The Verge
Saudi Arabia, China and Wing Loong 2 attack UAV

The photograph that you've posted is of an Iraqi Air Force CH-4B.

Pterodactyl UAVs have, in fact, been photographed in UAE colors:
View attachment 280871

Saudi Arabia's purchase of the Pterodactyl has been reported amongst Western press:

Chinese Drones Soon Flying Over Saudi Arabia | Popular Science
China to Sell Saudi Arabia Drones | The Diplomat
Saudi Arabia joins the killer drone arms race | The Verge
Saudi Arabia, China and Wing Loong 2 attack UAV

The photograph that you've posted is of an Iraqi Air Force CH-4B.
They are not in UAE colors(I dont see any UAE airforce ensign) and the back ground hardly looks like in middle east. This is just a production run maybe at Chengdu and the Wing loong are on the airfield waited to be tested.

They are not in UAE colors(I dont see any UAE airforce ensign) and the back ground hardly looks like in middle east. This is just a production run maybe at Chengdu and the Wing loong are on the airfield waited to be tested.

Do you know what the UAE Air Force livery looks like to make an appropriate judgment? The UAVs in the photo could simply have been waiting for delivery and/or painting.

Do you know what the UAE Air Force livery looks like to make an appropriate judgment? The UAVs in the photo could simply have been waiting for delivery and/or painting.
I do not understand your first sentence. And there is no proof from your photo that those Wing Loong are going to be delivered to UAE service. From what I know UAE airforce ensign is like that

Arab_Emirates_AF_roundel.svg.png

I repeat again. There is no concrete proof Wing Loong has exported to Saudi and UAE. Its sounds more like a misreport and mix up between CH-4B and Wing Loong on their report.

I do not understand your first sentence. And there is no proof from your photo that those Wing Loong are going to be delivered to UAE service. From what I know UAE airforce ensign is like that

View attachment 280875

I repeat again. There is no concrete proof Wing Loong has exported to Saudi and UAE. Its sounds more like a misreport and mix up between CH-4B and Wing Loong on their report.

The UAE Air Force insignia, when painted on the vertical stabilizers, is simply the UAE flag:
1427.jpg

A similar-looking flag can be made out on the vertical stabilizers of the Pterodactyl UAVs. Granted, that photo may not be the best "evidence" of that UAV actually serving in the UAE Armed Forces, but considering that even less evidence exists of the UAE/KSA operating the CH-4, plus the fact that the original photo was reported to be UAE-slated drones, I think there is quite a high chance that the photo shows what it was purported to.

Back
Top Bottom