What's new

Chinese Navy (PLAN) News & Discussions

The Chinese are doing the right thing, i.e they are giving their older Destroyers some significant upgrades, which will give the PLAN a very capable Destroyer fleet.
We have seen the upgrades to the Luhai class Destroyer 167 Shenzhen, and now the first 2 Sov's...........and i presume in a few years the other 2 Sov's will be updated, but are any of the other older Destroyers due for an upgrade anytime soon?...................and i don't mean the Luda's which should be gone out of the fleet by 2020.

DDGs 168 and 169 :D

080515fq584j6laa46te2o.jpg

080526cau4z6zr9uwr41op.jpg

091348vtzlznqrkim7bfzu.png

The Chinese are doing the right thing, i.e they are giving their older Destroyers some significant upgrades, which will give the PLAN a very capable Destroyer fleet.
We have seen the upgrades to the Luhai class Destroyer 167 Shenzhen, and now the first 2 Sov's...........and i presume in a few years the other 2 Sov's will be updated, but are any of the other older Destroyers due for an upgrade anytime soon?...................and i don't mean the Luda's which should be gone out of the fleet by 2020.

DDG 168 and 169 were commissioned in 2004, using the 15 years rule for mid-life upgrade, they're expected for MLU in 2019; Ditto for DDG170.

Then, in year 2020-2021, DDG171, DDG138 and 139, and DDG115 and 116 are due for MLU.

However, the 15 years rule may not be strictly followed, so give an allowance of 1-3 years time difference.

Russian navy chief visited Liaoning. Checking the difference between aircraft carriers of both nations?

To admit ... if I compare the Liaoning with that rustling, smoking hull right now in the Mediterranean, then I think the Liaoning and the J-15 is all what the RuN originally wanted the Kuznetsov and Su-33 to be.

RuN Admiral Kuznetsov off Norway - 18.10.16 - 2.jpg
Liaoning CV-16 XXL.jpg

A catapult version of J-15 successfully launched by EMALS.

Congratulations!!! :china::-)

015650mu1jbnw3v2wdn9gj.jpg
Gosh
It took me a couple of minutes to decipher.

I guess in the end, the pilot's input could contribute to the decision on which type of catapult to use. Pilot says, I like to be launched by that one!

Type 039C subs in batch production :enjoy:

039C.jpg

Gosh
It took me a couple of minutes to decipher.

I guess in the end, the pilot's input could contribute to the decision on which type of catapult to use. Pilot says, I like to be launched by that one!

It is too late to change the design of Type 002 which was centred around steam catapult.

I am happy with 2 Type 002s, provided that one follows another in quick succession. :D

Then Type 003 with EMALS, nuclear power, electric propulsion, 4th gen fighters and so on. Construction in 2020? :enjoy::tup:

Last edited:
seriously, if Russia wants to expand its carrier fleet, place the order to China's Dalian Shipyard is the easiest way to make the target happen.

seriously, if Russia wants to expand its carrier fleet, place the order to China's Dalian Shipyard is the easiest way to make the target happen.
The Russian need to swallow their pride, buy back CV-16 Liaoning and J-15 in order to expand their carrier fleet capabilities fast at a moderate budget.

I bet PLAN will immediately start 002Va hull assemble construction once 001Va hits the water.

Back
Top Bottom