What's new

Chinese men protest customs duty on cellphones — by lying on floor at Islamabad airport

Chinese men protest customs duty on cellphones — by lying on floor at Islamabad airport
Two Chinese passengers on Friday found a unique way to register their protest against the customs duty they were made to pay for bringing in several cellphones: lying on the floor at the Islamabad International Airport.

5c4b1b81395af.jpg

The episode, which made for an interesting spectacle, took place after the two Chinese men – Lian Zhehfu and Lei Zhentao — landed in Islamabad from Urumqi via China Southern Airlines flight CZ6007.

After exiting the aircraft, the two men were stopped at a customs counter. Because they were carrying six cellphones, they were made to pay $285 in duties and taxes on four of the handsets.

As per the 'mobile tax policy' announced by the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf government, foreign visitors and travellers returning to Pakistan can bring in one handset duty-free; for any additional devices, they must pay the applicable taxes to avail service in the country beyond 30 days.

But after paying the amount, the two Chinese passengers lay on the exit gate of the international arrival lounge to protest the duty they were charged. They took the stance that because they travel to Pakistan several times a year, they should not have to pay the duty each time they bring in more than one cellphone.

The pair ended their protest only after Airport Security Force personnel informed them that their concerns would be forwarded to the relevant ministry.
Source

these misbehaving people should be prohibited by airplane and high-speed train.

Non-violent protest should be encouraged so give him a pillow.

seems there's no winter in Islamabad, it's warm on the floor.

there are few reasons for doing this, the core being to put a stop of smuggling of non approved mobile phones....the chinese phones were being brought into the country without seeking approval from PTA, the problem with these phones was one could flash any IMEI number on these phones, back in the days i had one of these phones and would change the IMEI using a simple app available for free to download.....this was a major concern from LEA because multiple phones with single IMEI were being used by criminal entities hence this was put in place....phones were being brought in through personal baggage / carry on bags
why is duty charged on phones Pakistan doesn't make phones.

Extra usage on our telecom system I guess.
Also, makes for a good security since you register each and every one of them personally and are in track of it.

telecom benefits from this.

To stop smuggling.

absolute bull shit just for pesay pocketing. Majority people have two phones nowadays one for work and one for family, sometimes a third for backup just incase some hungry rishwat wala can be rewarded like a dog, that is given abone.

Chinese phones are dual sims, second for backup.

The amount of phones they had is excessive so don't know why guys are so hurt about it they payed the fine and used their right to protest nothing wrong with it

They cannot build phones in Pakistan when our education system is backwards and we lack skilled engineers and scientists to develop high qualitg chips and also there is shortage of electricity and gas and high price of electricity and lack of infrastructure and good roads govt should avoid measures which damage relations with china and may isolate us in world.Tomorrow if a resolution is passed against us in u.n and china not veto it what will we do then
can at least begin by using smt lines for assembly. not all countries in the world possess fab tech. but smt production lines and pcb fabrication lines can be set up easily, for in house design and production of systems. chips will cost less then importing a completely built up phone. end the duties on electronic components(not devices, but components), give the electronics industry tax breaks like they are doing for auto industry, and things will get better.

Please slap them with shoes. Ill mannered scum!
no need. many pakistanis are pissed off at this policy as well.

They cannot build phones in Pakistan when our education system is backwards and we lack skilled engineers and scientists to develop high qualitg chips and also there is shortage of electricity and gas and high price of electricity and lack of infrastructure and good roads govt should avoid measures which damage relations with china and may isolate us in world.Tomorrow if a resolution is passed against us in u.n and china not veto it what will we do then
Oh dear..

How sad it is that you know so little.
With all that you say. You have never heard of pakpad. Jf17, alkhalid, cruise missile, nukes, i could go on all day and just because we dont makes phones we are backwards

bud
budy i am running my mobile business here in spain. and no one is batter then pakistanis when it comes to fix motherboard

I have seen some stupid comments on here.

Why does a chinese man carry 6 smartphones other than to sell in pakistan. He has no family here?

So all u people complaining the tax is tgere for the country. You break the law you pay.

The two guys have 6 phones , each has 3, so I guess the extra phones are gifts for friends. Just ignore them, they will be ok and cool off after some resting on that floor.
Or to sell.

russia has much better technology than us as you mentioned above but they not make mobiles so it is different field and requires different expertise and different culture
Oh dear..

How sad it is that you know so little.
With all that you say. You have never heard of pakpad. Jf17, alkhalid, cruise missile, nukes, i could go on all day and just because we dont makes phones we are backwards

in Pakistan same people damage your phone if you go for repair they open it so badly and repair so roughly that correct parts are also damaged and I have experience of this we lack culture of due care and quality control
bud

budy i am running my mobile business here in spain. and no one is batter then pakistanis when it comes to fix motherboard

To stop smuggling.
In a way, rightly put - I have narrated the cases of Pak boys/young men who here run cell phone theft rings; then would put over a hundred plus to take back to Pak. I am speaking of just 2 yrs back; huge issue and customs specifically now go after these people. This rule is good as it puts a stop or slows down this criminal activity abroad.

bud

yes and also running phone stealing rings too on this side.

If PTA have activated IMEI registration and verification system then there's no need of making people declare the phones and pay duty at air-port as these sets will not be of any use in Pakistan anyway, however if anyone want to get it registered later on than he/she must pay extra charges or take the set back to country from where they brought.

Back
Top Bottom