What's new

Chinese Flanker Family: J-11, J-16 ... Su-27SK/UBK, Su-30MKK

If the Soviets shot any of our flights down, they must say it is because their airspace was trespassed. What else can we expect them to say ? If they lost any, they will never admit the loss. Most of these flights on both sides during the Cold War are still national secrets. The intel they gathered back then are still relevant today. The US is still the same, and Russia is the inheritor of the Soviet system. What we knew of each other back then is useful in gauging the behaviors of both sides today, hence why the intel are still secret, and so are their gathering methods.
Thanks for that, may be i didn't put my question right, what i meant to ask was, is there any record or news of any Soviet aircraft or spy plane getting shot down while violating US airspace. It's no secret that both countries carried out recce flights over each others territory.

Thanks for that, may be i didn't put my question right, what i meant to ask was, is there any record or news of any Soviet aircraft or spy plane getting shot down while violating US airspace. It's no secret that both countries carried out recce flights over each others territory.
There are many types of these flights.

If physical evidences, such as troops movements or building locations, are needed, then it would be a photography mission. These flights can involve border violations, especially if the aircraft cannot fly high enough for the cameras to take effective angle shots. That is why the US built the SR-71 with its high altitude, borderline orbital, for these missions without crossing into hostile airspaces. If we did violate Soviet airspace, which everyone know such incursions are open 'secret', we would never admit it to conceal our true capabilities and the Soviets/Russians would never admit it for fear of appearing vulnerable.

If electromagnetic (EM) data are needed, then the mission is signals intelligence (SIGINT) and we do not need to violate borders for these signals. The presence of any unidentified aircraft, such as a SIGINT aircraft, is enough to be provocative of EM activities such as those coming from radars. SIGINT flights are both provocative and intelligence gathering.

If defense response data are needed, then the mission is simply provocative, such as the usual Soviet/Russian Bear bombers heading towards the Alaskan coasts. The Bear does not ID itself, we responded by sending up a pair of Eagles, and the Soviet aircrews record the times of activities by both sides. If there are no responses, it is unlikely that the Bear would actually fly into US airspace. May be such did happened. I do not presume to know of any. But actually flying into someone's sovereign airspace is extremely risky because once you crossed over the border, you could be shot down and all the data you gathered, photo or EM, are lost. Better to just simply get as close as you can, record the time and distance, then head for home.

So were any Soviet recon flights that actually violated US airspace and got shot down ? For real and not rumors ? We will just have to wait when both sides are willing to be honest.

Everything comes out of your mouth and it's the truth. Well we do know one fact, you have a habit of exaggerating just like the Iraq false flag. You lost that credibility a long time ago.

All I ask was a simple question and you avoided it. Looks like you lost credibility about Japanese planes harassing your recon planes.

Here is a good comparison between J-11A/J-11B/J-11BS.

012812u5bz3w63iy1yzv53.png

The nose is different as the later two use the AESA radar.

The nozzle is also different as the later two use the WS-10A engine.

Also, J-11B/J-11BS look sleeker than J-11A because of the higher usage of the composite materials.

All look the same but in different color, just like the other poster stated what the different on the nose cone between 3 aircraft beside the color painted?

The nose is different as the later two use the AESA radar.

The nozzle is also different as the later two use the WS-10A engine.

Also, J-11B/J-11BS look sleeker than J-11A because of the higher usage of the composite materials.

thanks for pointing out ...

but wait , that means i am Partially blind now :o:

All look the same but in different color, just like the other poster stated what the different on the nose cone between 3 aircraft beside the color painted?

The engine nozzle look very different.

Anyone who is familiar with the Chinese military can point out the difference immediately.

Looking very nice, Btw how do you compare them with Sukoi 30 MKI or even SU 27 or SU 35 ?

Btw Pakistan should definitely get them.

The latest J-11B variant is close to the specs of Su-35.

The J-16 is clearly superior to both MKK and MKI with the AESA radar.

However, I don't think that the PAF will opt for any 4++ generation aircraft.

The money will be saved for the 5th generation J-31.

Its radar is supposedly an AESA system developed by the 14th Institute, the same organization responsible for the radar systems aboard the J-10B and J-20. Previous 4.5-generation Chinese Flankers such as the J-15S and J-16 use an AESA radar developed by the 607th Institue, which is a main competitor to the 14th Institute. 607th's radar has 1760 T/R modules and is capable of detecting a 0.1 m^2 target at 250 km or a 0.4 m^2 target at 280 km, which works out to a detection range (for a 1 m^2 target) of 450 km.

The 14th Institute is known for its advanced module packing design, a testament to which is the selection of its AESA radar over 607th Institute's AESA radar for the J-10B program (i.e. the 607th Institute could not pack many T/R modules for the J-10B's relatively small radome). Hence, I would expect the J-11D's radar to be even more powerful and precise than those installed aboard the J-16 and J-15S.

I want to know what radar is being used by J-11 D ? Also does this radar match Russian Irbis-e or not ?
@Chinese-Dragon @ChineseTiger1986

In addition to OP's question, with 1760(?) TR modules, I'd like to know what's the simultaneous engagement capacity of J-11D's radar? FC-20 and previous Chinese radars can lock onto 2 jets, and guide 2 missiles towards two target aircraft. How does the J-11D radar work with simultaneous engagement's standpoint?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom