What's new

Chinese dissident in US embassy: Hu Jia

Ganges Zephyr

Reaction score
Chinese rights activist Chen Guangcheng is in the US embassy in Beijing, his friend and fellow dissident Hu Jia said on Monday, in a case that threatens to rile China-US ties.

Hu, who was detained over the weekend for questioning in the affair, also said Chinese security officials

indicated that Chen had met with US ambassador Gary Locke since the activist's dramatic flight from house arrest.

"He is in the embassy," Hu, who had met with Chen after his escape, told AFP when asked whether he could confirm rumours of Chen's whereabouts.

"They asked when Chen Guangcheng met with ambassador Gary Locke," he added.

"So it seems very clear that he has met with the American ambassador. I had no way of answering. I do not know what is going on inside."

"But when I heard this I was very surprised and excited," Hu added.

Chen, a self-taught lawyer, fled house arrest in Shandong province on April 22 with the help of supporters from under the noses of dozens of guards and subsequently recorded a video alleging abuses against him and his family.

Since then, rumours have swirled that Chen had made it to safety in the US embassy, but the embassy and State Department officials in Washington have refused to confirm or deny them.

China will no doubt be extremely upset about the United States harbouring a fierce critic of its government, and the sensitive situation threatens to become a major diplomatic entanglement.

It comes as US secretary of state Hillary Clinton and treasury secretary Timothy Geithner are due in Beijing on Thursday for an annual round of wide-ranging talks on the often-testy China-US relationship.

Chen, 40, won worldwide acclaim for exposing forced sterilisations and late-term abortions under China's "one child" policy, and for using his legal knowledge to help people battle a range of other perceived injustices including land grabs.

He and his family were put under round-the-clock house arrest after he completed a four-year jail sentence in September 2010.

He has said he was being punished for defiantly continuing to speak out and that he and his family members had suffered beatings and other brutal treatment at the hands of local officials in what he has called an illegal house arrest

Chinese dissident in US embassy: Hu Jia - Hindustan Times

WTF. If true, China should force the US ambassador to leave and close the US embassy

WTF. If true, China should force the US ambassador to leave and close the US embassy

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't China done so already?

Aaahhh...No...According to the Chinese members here, it was a joint operation between the CIA, MI6, and US-stooged NGOs to rescue a man who practiced law without a license.

Is that not true???

You are funding those traitors to divide a country so serve for your interests, this is not the first time when people are too well known about what your suspicious doing around the world. Go back and check your vietnam!!!

this is direct political interference in china's internal affairs by the US. I think the Chinese government really need to take a hard line approach with the Americans or they will continue to interfere in China's internal affairs.

Unfortunately the Chinese government leaders are extreme incompetent and gullible.

US NGOs must be banned. That's the first thing that need to happen.
Second is to deport illegal immigrants and secure our borders and monitor who enters china at airports. Create a biometric database on every foreigner that enter china, whether students, businessmen, academics, journalists, diplomats, tourists, etc.

US NGOs have been funding and encouraging protests in Tibet and xinjiang. They have been recruiting the poor to revolt against the government. They seek to cause division between the party and the people to collapse the Chinese economy through political instability.

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, THE UNITED STATES IS THE NUMBER 1 ENEMY OF CHINA.

Aaahhh...No...According to the Chinese members here, it was a joint operation between the CIA, MI6, and US-stooged NGOs to rescue a man who practiced law without a license.

US NGOs are CIA organizations that act as democracy organizations, human rights groups, environmental activists, etc.
Russian protests were caused by US NGOs, Egypt revolution was hijacked by US NGOs. Go do some research son.

American journalists are also spy agents to feed these NGOs, their articles are always anti-Chinese propaganda. They are smear campaigns. Go read WSJ, new York times, Washington post. All smear. All smear campaigns against china to cause chaos and to convince global investors that china is not stable or Chinese economy is on the verge of collapse.

As I said, America is the number of enemy of china.

When they turn to harm China you tittle them "freedom of though" when they turn to against you then you gift them name a " terrorists"

God damn such tongue of the West!

You call asking for democracy "harming china" ?

oh really???

- "Democracy" or just for serving your West interests???

- "Democracy" or just for handcuffing human necks to be slave under your Western influences???

- "Democracy" or just for exporting idealism to serve for your expansionism around the World???

Finally, Are you really at that kindness to really hope that China one day become a "democracy" nation instead of a "Communist" one????

Remember Communist fights Communist to death if they in interests disputes, U.S.S.R and China and now that little punk vietnam is an obvious example. Oh, I forget to tell you Iraq and Iran and many south america nations are not communist countries either but how your West treat them???

Whenever China is a Communist state or "Democracy" state, she is still a huge nation with giant potential capacities that could challenge your West's global imperialism, so don't pretend naive as if you are so nice to the Chinese and China. China is always under your target no matter what political idealism they follow.
YOU are the product of your God damn propaganda, never thought of yourself so nice and clean while others are just dirty!!! China never export idealism to force people to follow, but your God damn West is bloodily pushing people to knee down to your West ruling!!!

What so called "democracy" is not different with "Communism"......DON'T LIE!!! :hitwall:

Remember China is not Japan or South Korea as if it is so easy for you to handcuff her neck, the greedy alliance of your created by blood and shameless history.

If one day China is really a "non-communist" state, your West will still finding ways to harm them and push them down to the bottom, so don't lie!!!

CHINA is NOT japan!!!!! :hitwall:

US admits role in Chinese dissident's escape

The US Government has admitted involvement in Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng's escape from house arrest.

But it has not confirmed if Mr Chen is at the US embassy in Beijing.

3977890-4x3-700x525.jpg

Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng escaped from house arrest. [ABC]

Hu Jia, a fellow dissident and friend of Mr Chen's, is adamant he is in the US embassy, but not seeking asylum.

Mr Hu was questioned by Chinese police last weekend and said he now believes Mr Chen has met with senior US diplomats.

"It seems very clear that he has met with the American ambassador," Mr Hu said.
Surprised

"I had no way of answering. I do not know what is going on inside. But when I heard this I was very surprised and excited".

US Assistant Secretary of State, Kurt Campbell, has flown to Beijing, repeatedly to broker a deal between China and the US over Mr Chen's case.

Mr Chen's escape threatens to overtake all other political issues that were to be discussed between the two nations when US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visits China.

The Chinese Government is already censoring news about Mr Chen internally.

It has blocked internet searches of all terms relating to Mr Chen.

Searches for Chen's name and the Chinese terms for "Shawshank", "blind person", "embassy", and Chen's home village of Dongshigu were all blocked on Sina Weibo, China's leading microblogging service.

Also blocked was "UA898", a United Airlines direct flight from Beijing to Washington, apparently after web users speculated online about the possibility Chen would gain US asylum.

Back
Top Bottom