What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

The Viet members here can hardly make any constructive comments except trolling, so we should prohibit them to post in our military section.

We don't visit their military section, but they should leave ours alone as well.

Ignore them. We all know domestic AESA tech has involved to 3rd generation.

AESA radar become a problem? :D:D:D

We should admire their self brain washing capabilities.:enjoy:

Fresh picture of China's new Z-18 single-rotor helicopter for transport & rescue ops. Armed with torpedoes.

B6ya2UVCEAA9F_D.jpg

Fresh picture of China's new Z-18 single-rotor helicopter for transport & rescue ops. Armed with torpedoes.

B6ya2UVCEAA9F_D.jpg

Ähhhm ...but Your image shows the only recently unveiled PLA transport version ! Could it be that You added the wrong image ??? :what::undecided:

Chengdu J-20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here ya go. There are pictures of the radar testbed with the J-20 radar equipped. You can google it yourself.

Type 1475 radar
The Type 1475 (KLJ-5) is a multifunction radar under development for the Chengdu J-20 fighter aircraft.

It is a solid-state, active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, composed of 1856 transmit/receive modules. It is currently being tested on a PLAAF Tupolev Tu-204 testbed aircraft[49]

you can really see radar or just see the tip of the Tu-204?
Any names or prototype chip of AESA radar KLJ-5 (J-20) ! you don't understand ?

To admit I don’t know what’s Your true intention behind this post, but using unreliable sources and even more dated or plain wrong information is surely not the best way to proof anything.

First of all KANWA and even more in combination with WantChinaTimes.com is surely the best way to tear down even the final bit of reliability one has as a member here … as such the only proof You give with this post is Your intention to troll !

Anyway let’s stick to Your post….

It’s all speculation … and even more I don’t know if we ever will learn the name of the J-20’s radar processor ! You are correct: I do not know the exact designation of the J-10B’s, the J-15 or -16’s radar nor the processors they use … but what else ? To we know that from every other type in the West ?
By the way while other AF widely report about what kind of AESA they use and “will” use (not often correct as shown with the Russian T50), the PLAAF simply does not report at all … or at best by some secretly hidden bits and pieces … that does not mean they are not working on or with it already.

Sorry again, but WantChinaTimes.com is in general as much reliable as the German “Bild” in regard to international politics or business … even more it mixes designations (the SD-10A is the PL-12’s export version), or is plain wrong: the PL-9 is an export weapon, the PLAAF uses the PL-8 which is a licenced Python III … and where is written that they “will buy” 5000 missiles only since the “bought” the older types ???

Funny, this is simply the idea of a reporter here and not the PLAAF’s wish ! As such since the USA are rejecting the faked idea to sell the PLN one USS Nimitz class carrier is surely proof that the PLN is way behind the USN … again only a piece of bad reporting; typical Kanwa-style.

Another plain wrong BS … not even worth to bother: the PL-10 is an ASRAAM-like SR-AAM, the PL_11 is a development of the Italian Aside, a SARH-AAM and the PL-12 is an AMRAAM-like ARH-AAM … they simply can’t use the same seeker !

Anyway You are in one point correct: the PLAAF has an age-issue with its combat fleet, but given the numbers of J-10 and J-11 in all versions joining the fleet during the last years, they are indeed in a much better position than many other air arms around the world.

All the best,
Deino

Yourself are not aware of the AESA radar J-10B, J-16, how can assert their existence and China AESA technology equivalent European, Russia, the United States?

PL-12 seeker head

Prior to the emergence of the PL-12, China's active radar seeker AAM development programme was sometimes identified as the 'AMR-1'. During Air Show China 1996, held during November in Zhuhai, the China Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute/No 607 Research Institute exhibited a newly developed active radar seeker, the AMR-1. This seeker was, in turn, believed to have been applied to a new air- to-air missile design, derived from the LY-60 surface-to-air missile, and dubbed the 'PL-12'. This active radar missile, and the earlier semi-active radar homing PL-11, seemed to have a common design heritage with the Italian Aspide missile, supplied to China during the late 1980s. The status of the PL-11 and 'LY-60/PL-12' development programmes is unclear, but sources within CATIC say these earlier programmes have all been abandoned in favor of the PL-12.

PL-12 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PL-11 seeker head

The AMR-1 is an advanced next-generation medium-range active terminal guidance air-to-air missile seeker developed by China's Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute. The flat-plate antenna bears some resemblance to that of active version of Russian AA-10, although the extent of Russian assistance if any is unclear. The seeker may be integrated onto PL-11 [Pili = Thunderbolt, or Pen Lung = Air Dragon] air-to-air missile which is reportedly based on the Italian Aspide airframe. The seeker is equipped with a miniaturized pulse Doppler radar and has the following capabilities: all- weather and omnibearing attack, low- latitude down-firing, fire-and-forget beyond-the-horizon launch, and interception and tracking of target in complicated electronic interference environments. Its technical sophistication is close to that of the advanced medium-range air-to-air missile, AMRAAM and Russia's P-77 "fire-and-forget" missile which has caught worldwide interest. However, an insufficient military budget and low-price competition from Russian missiles have cast batch production of this missile into doubt.

AMR-1

PL-10 seeker head

The Air Force version of the LY-60 is the FD-60 semi-active radar-guided air-to-air missile carried by the J8B fighter plane, which is very similar to the Aspide AAM of Italy in appearance. This missile, which is evidently also known as the PL-10 [Pili = Thunderbolt, or Pen Lung = Air Dragon] medium range air-to-air missile is a Chinese copy of the Italian Aspide, which was developed from the American AIM-7E Sparrow. The bodies of the two missiles are generally similar, though the wings of the air-to-air PL-10 mirror those of the Sparrow, while the LY-60 wings have evidently been truncated to improve storage. The application of the same missile to both air-to-air and ship-to-air applications emulates the American practice with the Sparrow, which started life as an air-to-air missile with subsequent shipboard deployments.

LY-60 / PL-10

PL-11A的主动雷达导引头改型。装有607所研制的AMR-1主动导引头

霹雳11空空导弹_百度百科

霹雳”-12使用607所于九十年代末研制成功的AMR-1主动雷达导引头。未经证实的报道称AMR-1的研制得到了俄国“玛瑙”设计局的技术支持,而正是该设计局研制了R-77/AA-12主动雷达制导中距空空导弹的导引头。也有报道称“霹雳”-12使用了一些基于以色列“女低音”中距空空导弹的元件,但未经证实。“霹雳”-12由中国设计的火箭发动机推进,最大射程70千米,最大速度4倍音速。据称该导弹机动性优于俄国R-77,综合性能接近美国AIM-120A。

我国自主研发的“霹雳”-12中距空空导弹 图 对日本:菩萨心肠还是霹雳手段? 转贴 图 --- ido.3mt.com.cn

The source of China's ridiculous, they collide with each other:

active seeker may have evolved from the earlier AMR-1 design (R-129? based on Russian 9B-1348 seeker & datalink for R-77)

Chinese Military Aviation: Missiles I
絲帶用彈 - 萬維論壇

But please read note: R-77 uses new technology called multifunction doppler-monopulse. PL-12/11/10 seeker head is pulse-doppler.

Remember AMR-1 seeker is designed first on LY-60 missiles it launched in the late 1980s. China has purchased R-77 missiles the first time, be accompanied by Su-30MKK in 1991-2004

Last edited:
What About Pakistan Getting this Baby o_O

Attachments

• 6h1ath.jpg
    6h1ath.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 54

Yourself are not aware of the AESA radar J-10B, J-16, how can assert their existence and China AESA technology equivalent European, Russia, the United States?

You're right. It's all an elaborate ruse because you, a random Viet nobody on the internet, do not have 3 independently confirmed sources on the radar of China's most classified fighter project. :rofl:

First of all it is not relevant ! The problem is more that You take false and unreliable sources to try to proof anything that fit's Your opinion, but in the same way You negate, ignore and take down all other evidence that there are working AESA's - or at least under development - not only purchased from Russia, Ukraine and Israel.

Even more I did not say that they are equivalent to foreign systems, while You however try to persuade that there are none ... simply by the fact that I can't tell You what's the name, address and number of kids of the worker who assembled the J-10B's or J-16's radar.

Don't get me wrong, but I would call this simply trolling around ! :pissed:

Deino

Chengdu J-20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here ya go. There are pictures of the radar testbed with the J-20 radar equipped. You can google it yourself.

Radar AESA KLj-5 :china:

BpNWkGaIQAAk_M2.jpg:medium

Do you believe that it is fully functional as radar of other countries?
Range Scanning ?
The ability to search (number of target can track/lock) ?
Elevation scan ?
There Mode SAR ?
Chip processor ?

maximum power ? really, not rumor
How many TR Modules ? really, not rumor
Experiment with aerodynamics of J-20 !
The test with missile PL-11/12!

MiG-35, F-22, EF-2000 test with radar AESA of them
Take-off Magazine : MiG-35 passes all tests under MMRCA tender
Northrop Grumman successfully completes F-22 radar flight-test certification

System Upgrades are Turning the Typhoon into a Multi-Mission Eurofighter | Defense Update:

First of all it is not relevant ! The problem is more that You take false and unreliable sources to try to proof anything that fit's Your opinion, but in the same way You negate, ignore and take down all other evidence that there are working AESA's - or at least under development - not only purchased from Russia, Ukraine and Israel.

Even more I did not say that they are equivalent to foreign systems, while You however try to persuade that there are none ... simply by the fact that I can't tell You what's the name, address and number of kids of the worker who assembled the J-10B's or J-16's radar.

Don't get me wrong, but I would call this simply trolling around ! :pissed:

Deino

Ok! I just need to know the actual specs of the J-10B radar, J-16. Do you have any actual information? except forum and blog?!

This image is of Chinese fanboy used many times, but I never saw any offical source

Last edited:
That really made my day !

And it is not a Pegasus as I thought at first it is a stylized Eagle's head + a 33 !!

Hope that PLAAF will re-introduce some more of these unit markings or badges ....
By the way one of pilots has the "Golden Helmet" on.

Deino :D

J-11A 40x4x - 33. Div + new badge - Jan. 15 - 1.jpg
J-11A 40x4x - 33. Div + new badge - Jan. 15 - 2 Golden Helmet pilot.jpg
J-11A 40x4x - 33. Div + new badge - Jan. 15 - 3.jpg
Su-27UBK 40x4x - 33. Div + new badge - Jan. 15 - 1.jpg
Su-27UBK 40x4x - 33. Div + new badge - Jan. 15 - 2.jpg

Development tests of WS-18 successfully concluded on 06.12.2014,batch production to start:

151138vprgoq7opqbb22b2.jpg.thumb.jpg

(pic took on 29.10.2014 after the 1st test flight)

公司某型号发动机研制试飞圆满完成-中航工业成都发动机(集团)有限公司 :coffee:

Can it be WS-20?

That really made my day !

And it is not a Pegasus as I thought at first it is a stylized Eagle's head + a 33 !!

Hope that PLAAF will re-introduce some more of these unit markings or badges ....
By the way one of pilots has the "Golden Helmet" on.

Deino :D

View attachment 183087 View attachment 183088 View attachment 183089 View attachment 183090 View attachment 183091

Disappointing they put the paint scheme on old Su-27SK or J-11A and not full domestic made J-11B

Can it be WS-20?

No, the WS-20 is much wider in diameter ... more like the CFM56, while the WS-18 is a D-30KP-2 development/clone !

Disappointing they put the paint scheme on old Su-27SK or J-11A and not full domestic made J-11B

Yes, I hope some day the PLAAF will introduce a more J-10-style scheme on the Flankers too. By the way these are 33. Air Division fighters (J-11A and Su-27UBK).

Deino

No, the WS-20 is much wider in diameter ... more like the CFM56, while the WS-18 is a D-30KP-2 development/clone !

Deino

The tested engine could be on the left side wing ,hide from our view and not the one show on foreground.

This image is of Chinese fanboy used many times, but I never saw any offical source

Old pics from Chengdu...

tKApz7w.jpg

4UpO8oe.jpg

xFOsdnt.jpg

From China Aviation Museum in Beijing...

unNNRH6.jpg

5mrfdow.jpg

mR7A3ou.jpg

GoPIi53.jpg

Q0KF2du.jpg

An article from Jane's - New pictures of J-10B revealed - IHS Jane's 360

A new batch of mass-produced Chengdu J-10B fighters are undergoing flight and taxi tests, Chinese media has reported saying that the aircraft will enter service "soon".

The J-10B is an improved variant of the Chengdu J-10 manufactured by the state-owned Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation, also known as the Chengdu Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of AVIC.

The photos, which were posted on the cdjby.net military forum on 3 October, show four aircraft on the ground and two in the air. The airborne aircraft are numbered 120 and 122, while known serial numbers for the J-10B are: 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 107, 110, 120, 122, and 201.

Chinese media also reported, without further elaboration, that some of the J-10Bs are equipped with China's own WS-10 Taihang engine. Early J-10Bs were believed to be fitted with the Russian AL-31FN M1 engine - a more powerful version of the AL-31F that powers the J-10A.

The J-10B's key differences from the J-10A include a redesigned chin intake, with the lower edge now angled forward and movable ramp replaced by a smaller, fixed, diffuser bulge that also contributes to reduced weight and radar cross-section; a longer nose radome that is believed to house an NRIET active electronically scanned array radar; and an electro-optic targeting sensor (infrared search and track, and laser rangefinder) mounted just forward of the windscreen, offset to starboard. It also has a new electronic warning or countermeasures pod atop the vertical stabiliser.

BTW, are you Viet fanboy ?

Henri K.

Back
Top Bottom