What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

Development tests of WS-18 successfully concluded on 06.12.2014,batch production to start:

151138vprgoq7opqbb22b2.jpg.thumb.jpg

(pic took on 29.10.2014 after the 1st test flight)

公司某型号发动机研制试飞圆满完成-中航工业成都发动机(集团)有限公司 :coffee:

I just became aware that it is not the well known Il-76LL testbed but the original A-50I airframe used as the KJ-2000 prototype, with that IFR probe still attached.

I just became aware that it is not the well known Il-76LL testbed but the original A-50I airframe used as the KJ-2000 prototype, with that IFR probe still attached.

By the way here is it without its radome ...
KJ-2000 prototype 762 without radome + WS-18 - 15.12.14 sx.jpg

Last edited:
If WS-18 is true, Y-20 initial operational batch has very high chance enter service with WS-18 engine first. That will also mean H-6K will continue to be produced and form an important core of PLAAF power projection strike force since they are running D-30K engine which can be substitute with WS-18 engine.

Does anyone know what's the current status of the JL-10 program is ?? ... the first aircraft had its maiden flight already in July 2013.
Is it delayed due to the Ukrainian-crisis (due to an Ukrainian engine) ???

Also I'm a bit surprised by this update:

The latest news (January 2015) indicated the first JL-10 built for PLAAF is ready for flight.
http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.de/p/trainers.html

Deino

JL-10 manufacturing - 7.1.15.jpg

2013 one is test bed for PLAAF version, and the new one is lead-in trial version

o.k. ... but my question now is how many have been build already and where are they ?
So far we have the AJT-prototypes 01 (most likely still the HAIG-bird), 03 (CFTE 432) and 05 (CFTE 433). No. 06 is the sole LIFT-prototype (most likely again at HAIG).

After that we've seen aircraft "10001" flown on 29. June 2013. This one became IMO (?) most likely the first PLAAF-bird (CFTE 434 - but unconfirmed) and there is PLAAF-002 (CFTE 435). Additionally we saw a few more in October 2013 with serial or c/n "L15-11" seen in TV.

So the question is: is this reportedly "first JL-10 built for PLAAF is ready for flight" (like Huitong states at his site) in fact the first serial JL-10 to be delivered to an operational unit and all others were something like pre-serials and even more where are L15-001 to L15-010 ??? Are these already the ones von Zambia ???

Indeed a mystery little bird.

Deino

o.k. ... but my question now is how many have been build already and where are they ?
So far we have the AJT-prototypes 01 (most likely still the HAIG-bird), 03 (CFTE 432) and 05 (CFTE 433). No. 06 is the sole LIFT-prototype (most likely again at HAIG).

After that we've seen aircraft "10001" flown on 29. June 2013. This one became IMO (?) most likely the first PLAAF-bird (CFTE 434 - but unconfirmed) and there is PLAAF-002 (CFTE 435). Additionally we saw a few more in October 2013 with serial or c/n "L15-11" seen in TV.

So the question is: is this reportedly "first JL-10 built for PLAAF is ready for flight" (like Huitong states at his site) in fact the first serial JL-10 to be delivered to an operational unit and all others were something like pre-serials and even more where are L15-001 to L15-010 ??? Are these already the ones von Zambia ???

Indeed a mystery little bird.

Deino
The first 6 test birds are L-15 prototypes, and L15-11 is most probable built for Zambia. Then in 2013, they further developed JL-10 based on L-15 according to PLAAF's specific requirement, and you can call that one as prototype of JL-10. The recent built one is lead-in trial JL-10, and PLAAF will give further suggestion to modify it to finalize the design for JL-10.

Offcial news reveals that fighter used AESA radar is worked out in 2009. As I know the first report

Offcial news reveals that fighter used AESA radar is worked out in 2009. As I know the first report

Yes ... that report - sometimes misinterpret to be related to the J-20's radar was posted at the SDF:

The quite long report is said to contain some interesting information from an official report on Youquan Lin, the chief engineer of China's first AESA radar for a fighter.

中国首部机载有源相控阵雷达设计水平与F22相当|中国|雷达|F22_新浪军事

Additional explanation by "tphuang":

An article on 14th institute talks about development of China's first AESA radar for fighter jet. It will be x-band based and won national awards in 2009/2010. From that, it seems like they flight tested it by 2009/2010. From all of that, it seems likes this radar is developed for J-10B/C although we have heard rumours on Chinese bbs that the first batch of J-10B we saw are using PESA radar. None of which is conclusive. So this AESA radar is either going to already be on the first batch of J-10B that we saw or on the second batch (J-10C as some calls it).
Technology wise, the article claimed that it has same level of technology as APG-77 on F-22. And that 14th Institute is using experience from developing this radar to develop J-20's radar. For the first part, I think it could just be talking about the usage of GaA T/R modules and the design of the radar rather than the actual power/capability of the radar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom