What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

Engine designed on fighter jets in mind, and F-35 has single F-135 and its a high by pass ratio turbofan where F-119 low by pass turbofan and F-22 using 2 of these and as for J-20B is slightly longer and heavier than rest of the 5th gen jets so its needs at least 40,000 lbs engine to compensate weight issue and do remember WS-15 is low by pass engine
J-20 might not be as heavy as you all think. A twin 15000kg thrust engine are fine with it.

Engine designed on fighter jets in mind, and F-35 has single F-135 and its a high by pass ratio turbofan where F-119 low by pass turbofan and F-22 using 2 of these and as for J-20B is slightly longer and heavier than rest of the 5th gen jets so its needs at least 40,000 lbs engine to compensate weight issue and do remember WS-15 is low by pass engine

Believe it or not, J-20 is actually lighter than F-22. According to some Chinese military magazines the empty weight is only about 15 tons, thanks to the use of advanced materials like ceramic composites, new technologies like 3D printing, and the use of much more powerful forging machines, etc.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, J-20 is actually lighter than F-22. According to some Chinese military magazines the empty weight is only about 15 tons, thanks to the use of advanced materials like ceramic composites, new technologies like 3D printing, and the use of much more powerful forging machines, etc.

Well "According to some Chinese ... " the J-20 already uses a +240 kN serial TVC-WS-15. I would be very careful with such claims.

微信图片_20210304215953.jpg

Via @中国航发 from Weixin

J-20 might not be as heavy as you all think. A twin 15000kg thrust engine are fine with it.
But you guys also consider drag issue, the bigger jet is more drag it have, to overcome the EXCESS DRAG THEN YOU NEED MORE POWERFUL ENGNIE THAN REST OF THE 5TH GEN JETS, 15,000 KG +

F-35 is like 13 tons. Unless China has alien tech I don’t see the empty weight of the J-20 being lower than 18 tons with 17 tons as the absolute lowest floor.

F-35 is like 13 tons. Unless China has alien tech I don’t see the empty weight of the J-20 being lower than 18 tons with 17 tons as the absolute lowest floor.

It is interesting to know why you are comparing F-35 with J-20?
Why the sudden switch?

F-35 is in a different class in comparison to F-22 or J-20.

If Chengdu J-20 Li-Al-Ti alloy airframes which is revealed as much 30% lighter than those of F-22 airframes is alien technology then it is indeed. :coffee:

IMO F-35 is just an overly rated and expensive FGFA designed for exports still plagued with unresolved 891 defects up till Jan. 2021.

That is why in view of J-20 newly released capabIlity, USAF is now mulling a replacement for her aging F-22 Raptor.
What Pentagon fear is J-20 fitted with a pair of thrust vectoring WS-15 today?

Interesting. I recall reading that WZ-9 engines delivered since 2016 have a power output of 1100kW, and variants on the Z-10s with upturned exhausts have 1200kW. I wonder if they've been able to boost the WZ-9's power since then.

Back
Top Bottom