What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

The chief test pilot of the J-10 recently has revealed the fact that the current J-20 engine is indeed the WS-15, it is impossible to be the WS-10B or something else.

That would be a most welcoming news, although I love to see some affirmation on that claim.!

Guys, how can we miss this news. 24:00 onwards, those who can understand Chinese would jump in hysteria. They are producing the 'world's first single crystal titanium alloy' (please translate properly for me) for Rolls Royce, 100 pcs to be delivered by end of 2018. Germans theoretically calculated that this is impossible, they proved them wrong with 10 years of research.

http://www.austria-scitech-china.at/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMR_Presentation-2015_EN.pdf

Based on above pdf, these are LP blades for the TRENT XWB engine.

Last edited:

Guys, how can we miss this news. 24:00 onwards, those who can understand Chinese would jump in hysteria. They are producing the 'world's first single crystal titanium alloy' (please translate properly for me) for Rolls Royce, 100 pcs to be delivered by end of 2018. Germans theoretically calculated that this is impossible, they proved them wrong with 10 years of research.

http://www.austria-scitech-china.at/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMR_Presentation-2015_EN.pdf

Turbine blade.PNG

Turbine blade 2.PNG

Turbine blade 3.PNG

Last edited:

MTU is probably the first company to manufacturer LPT blades with TiAl alloy. Those blades are for GTF/PW1000 series. MTU is the OEM of GTF/PW1000 LPT module.

Also CFMI introduce TiAl alloy for its LEAP-X engine LPT.

It seems they will face some serious competition.

Well done IMR and great news for CJ-1000 projet.

A little Tip: engine for commercial jet will has higher by-pass ratio. Thus a bigger/heavier LPT with more stages is needed to drive a bigger fan, that is what LEAP-X,CJ-1000 and PD-14 do. GTF/PW1000 is different, it use a faster LPT to drive fan through a gearbox. But they all need a lighter/stronger material for LPT.

Again great news. I am proud

Last edited:
MTU is probably the first company to manufacturer LPT blades with TiAl alloy. Those blades are for GTF/PW1000 series. MTU is the OEM of GTF/PW1000 LPT module.

Also CFMI introduce TiAl alloy for its LEAP-X engine LPT.

It seems they will face some serious competition.

Well done IMR and great news for CJ-1000 projet.

A little Tip: engine for commercial jet will has higher by-pass ratio. Thus a bigger/heavier LPT with more stages is needed to drive a bigger fan, that is what LEAP-X,CJ-1000 and PD-14 do. GTF/PW1000 is different, it use a faster LPT to drive fan through a gearbox. But they all need a lighter/stronger material for LPT.

Again great news. I am proud
They were the first to produce single cast TiAi blades. Apparently thought impossible until this breakthrough.

They were the first to produce single cast TiAi blades. Apparently thought impossible until this breakthrough.
A small mistake, it is TiAl (Titanium aluminum alloy);I do not find the information of single crystal.

To my understanding,single crystal casting is usually for HPT blades.

I do not think Titanium alloy can be used as HPT blades yet,also single crystal casting is too expensive for LPT blades(for example,leap—x has two stages HPT but 7 stages LPT, although usually a LPT blade segment include several blades)。

Last edited:
A small mistake, it is TiAl (Titanium aluminum alloy);I do not find the information of single crystal.

To my understanding,single crystal casting is usually for HPT blades.

I do not think Titanium alloy can be used as HPT blades yet,also single crystal casting is too expensive for LPT blades(for example,leap—x has two stages HPT but 7 stages LPT, although usually a LPT blade segment include several blades)。
Yah, it's not single crystal, rather single casted piece. Existing technology does not allow single piece casting, China developed a new method to cast the blade in one single piece. The first in the world.

Yah, it's not single crystal, rather single casted piece. Existing technology does not allow single piece casting, China developed a new method to cast the blade in one single piece. The first in the world.

I made a mistake. It is nozzle segment including several vane. Blade is usaully single piece.

Sorry for any confusion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom