What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

I don't believe this theory bro.

It's largely a correct analysis. Its not 100% correlation, but STO engine afterburner colour does largely hint at what level of thrust can be achieved in the core itself. If you only need to operate it at low afterburner for same T/W and TO distance, it means the core is more efficient. You want to use the afterburner as low as possible over service length as that helps to extend the MTBO for the aft section.

You will notice most western fighter aircraft have orange whenever STO afterburner is used. You will find it for russian a/c too sometimes, but their take off distance will be longer generally when thats the case....as opposed to when they employ STO blue. These are all basically thrust settings depending on take off regime.

But the western engines and nozzles will also achieve blue afterburner (hence they also need to be designed to handle that temperature regime) if needed, but they don't need it for the STO they generally do.

No idea, but this just proves that the 400 engines in service is not just speculation/
400 WS-10 engines can barely serve 100 J-11B, one spare engine is the minimum``but we have and going to have 1000+ 4th/4.5th gen fighters. forget about the technological details of WS-10 over Al-31, the quantity alone can not allow us to rely on WS-10, you just cant`````so most of J-10A/B/C, J-15, J-11s are using Al engines``but the situation could be more bright for J-10D, J-16 and J-15B`````

400 WS-10 engines can barely serve 100 J-11B, one spare engine is the minimum``but we have and going to have 1000+ 4th/4.5th gen fighters. forget about the technological details of WS-10 over Al-31, the quantity alone can not allow us to rely on WS-10, you just cant`````so most of J-10A/B/C, J-15, J-11s are using Al engines``but the situation could be more bright for J-10D, J-16 and J-15B`````
But this point had been used by the west to disprove Chinese progress. The fact is Chinese requirement for jet engines can't be fulfilled by domestic production alone.

Here brother
December 15, 2016
In its annual report in July, Avic said it built more than 400 WS-10 engines last year, suggesting the J-10 and J-11 fighters no longer needed Russian engines.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/12/china-mass-producing-fighter-jets.html

Sorry, but that report is pure BS and even less an official document ! It starts with an error - calling the J-11D a clone of the Su-35 - and continues with that vague statement of 400 engines last year but surely missed to add "until" last year or altogether by last year 400 WS-10 were produced.

Deino

Sorry, but that report is pure BS and even less an official document ! It starts with an error - calling the J-11D a clone of the Su-35 - and continues with that vague statement of 400 engines last year but surely missed to add "until" last year or altogether by last year 400 WS-10 were produced.

Deino
There was a Chinese source from AVIC somewhere in this thread that i've posted before, since i can't find it but i found this instead, never mind the content just it was quoted from the same AVIC source, so please hold your horse until i found the Chinese one ok?

Ok i found it, post #298
http://news.qq.com/a/20160706/042467.htm

g3V3md4.png

http://www.xinhuanet.com/mil/2017-06/10/c_129629719.htm
CPd6mc9.png

截至2015年底,410厂已向海军、空军交付涡扇10发动机不少于400余台,被用于J11B、J11D、J16等机型,装备了不少于5个航空团。
By the end of 2015, 410 factory has delivered to the Navy and the Air Force WS-10 turbofan engine of not less than 400 units, being used for J11B, J11D, J16 models, and equipped no less than 5 aviation regiment.

Last edited:
There was a Chinese source from AVIC somewhere in this thread that i've posted before, since i can't find it but i found this instead, never mind the content just it was quoted from the same AVIC source, so please hold your horse until i found the Chinese one ok?

Ok i found it, post #298
http://news.qq.com/a/20160706/042467.htm
http://www.xinhuanet.com/mil/2017-06/10/c_129629719.htm

Thanks a lot for that valuable source (and I hope You don't mind that after that blatant J-11D = Su-35-clone-error I was sceptical !), but especially @sinait's translation makes it more precise:

截至2015年底,410厂已向海军、空军交付涡扇10发动机不少于400余台,被用于J11B、J11D、J16等机型,装备了不少于5个航空团。
By the end of 2015, 410 factory has delivered to the Navy and the Air Force WS-10 turbofan engine of not less than 400 units, being used for J11B, J11D, J16 models, and equipped no less than 5 aviation regiment.

Since these "no less than 5 aviation regiment" are especially mentioned for these 400+ WS-10 and since they were not established within one year, it proves my theory that these 400 engines are the total amount of engines produces so far and not within last year.

Deino

Thanks a lot for that valuable source (and I hope You don't mind that after that blatant J-11D = Su-35-clone-error I was sceptical !), but especially @sinait's translation makes it more precise:

Since these "no less than 5 aviation regiment" are especially mentioned for these 400+ WS-10 and since they were not established within one year, it proves my theory that these 400 engines are the total amount of engines produces so far and not within last year.

Deino
Yes, I believe it was 400+ so far last year, not last year produced 400+ engines.

Back
Top Bottom