What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

These are my deductions, but I am 90% sure. It's like completing a jigsaw puzzle.:-)

——Hypersonic vehicle project, one of the 18 NSTMPs

——Liu Xingzhou, the founder of Chinese hypersoinc propulsion technique

The wordings of the report dated 13.07.2016 seem to imply that further progresses have been made since 2014.

These are my deductions, but I am 90% sure. It's like completing a jigsaw puzzle.:-)

——Hypersonic vehicle project, one of the 18 NSTMPs

——Liu Xingzhou, the founder of Chinese hypersoinc propulsion technique

An I may add that if medias in China start to report around the topic these days, either some important stages have been step through, either this is related to current geopolitic issues.

I also noticed consecutive strange NOTAM everyday since July 12th, I don't know what were they, but just keep follow.

And I just want to add a last word : I appreciate a lot what you've done to show in 3D the progress in the Type 001A's construction. Really well done and keep going like that.

Henri K.

Now im kinda confused, before they said the shorter one was the improved version but now they said the completely opposite?
HFl2aGb.jpg
tJHEiLr.jpg
51YtHVB.jpg

新的WS10尾喷口至少比老的长出约20厘米 new improved version 20mm longer

Now im kinda confused, before they said the shorter one was the improved version but now they said the completely opposite?
HFl2aGb.jpg
tJHEiLr.jpg
51YtHVB.jpg

新的WS10尾喷口至少比老的长出约20厘米 new improved version 20mm longer

Because the improved WS-10 variants all have the more elongated nozzles, that's why the current engine of the J-20 has been mixed up with the AL-31.

Because the improved WS-10 variants all have the more elongated nozzles, that's why the current engine of the J-20 has been mixed up with the AL-31.

Surely not, it's not only the length of the pedals - and I can't think that anyone will anyway notice a 20mm difference - they are simply different. Just look at the inner structure, the flameholder, the way the convergent-divergent-mechanism is working even the structure of the pedals is different.

As per a presentation to Forum on Advanced Manufacturing of Aero and Rocket Engines held on 02.09.2016 in Shenyang, NE China, the country has embarked on the development of next(the 5th) generation aero-engine with a thrust weight ratio of 15.

Good progress is being made. :enjoy:

with turbine blades made of ceramic matrix composites(CMC).

Also performances of WS-10B already superior to imported engines, further improvements being made.

China Makes 90% Engines for Its Major Warplanes: Air Force Insider
Posted: September 11, 2016

On September 4, super pilot Senior Colonel Wu Guohui, a professor on air force equipment at National Defense University, told Beijing Times in an exclusive interview that China has made great progress in developing aircraft engines. At present, China-made aircraft engines are used in more than 90% of China’s major warplanes including J-11, J-15 and J-16 fighters, H-5 and H-6 bombers, JH-7 fighter/bomber, Y-7 and Y-8 transports and Z-8, Z-9 and Z-10 helicopters.

Prof. Wu believes that the establishment of China’s aircraft engine group corporation will make engine research and development independent from aircraft design and concentrate the management and resources for research, development and production. That will greatly speed up China’s aircraft engine development to enable China to catch up with world advanced level within 5 to 10 years.

Source: Beijing Times “Super pilot’s insider story on air force major fighters: 90% engines China-made” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)

Polysynthetic twinned TiAl single crystals for high-temperature applications

News.ifeng posted a report on June 22 on Professor Chen Guang’s success in developing an aircraft engine material much better than US best alloy for aircraft engine.
Chen has achieved the success through long-term research with the funding from Nanjing Polytechnic University and the state’s Program 973.

Prof. Chen’s achievement, Polysynthetic twinned TiAl (PST TiAl) single crystals for high-temperature applications, was published on the Internet at Natural Materials on June 20.

prof-chen-guang-at-press-conference.jpg

Prof. Chen Guang (in dark suit) at press conference on China’s
major breakthrough in aviation and aerospace materials

When US GE’s new material Ti-48Al-2Cr-2Nb (Alloy 4822) was used in its GEnx engine for Boeing 787, it was hailed as a sensational success in the development of aircraft engine materials as it reduces the weight of an aircraft engine by 200 pounds, fuel consumption by 20% and discharge of NOx by 80% and significantly lowered engine noise.

At room temperature, PST TiAl has high tensile ductility of 6.9%, yield strength of 708 MPa and tensile strength of 978 MPa, a wonderful combination of ductility and strength.

What is more important for aircraft engine alloy, at the high temperature of 900℃ its yield and tensile strength is still as high as 637MPa and it has wonderful creep resistance. Its minimum creep rate and lasting life are better than Alloy 4822 by one to two magnitudes. It is hopeful that the allow may be used above 900℃ much higher that the 650~750℃ for Alloy 4822.

Last edited:
Cool- so this is the engine for the JL-10(aka hongdu l-15) trainer AC?

So total jet engine projects:

WS-10A/B = J-10B, J-11B, J-15, J-16
WS-13E = JF-17
WS-15 = J-20
WS-17 = JL-10
WS-18 = H-6K
WS-20 = Y-20

WS-10D

J-20 Uses Homegrown WS-15

J-20%2B%2Buse%2BWS-15%2Bengines.jpg

J-20 proves that it uses WS-15 engines as there are no grooves on the nozzles of its engines.

AL-31F%2Bengine%2Bused%2Bon%2BJ-20%2Bprototypes.jpg

The nozzle of Russian AL-31F engine used on J-20 prototypes.
There are two groves on the nozzle

WS-15%2Bengine%2Bwith%2Bno%2Bgrooves.jpg

WS-15 engine with no grooves on it

WS-15%2Bis%2Bmuch%2Bmore%2Bpowerful%2Bthan%2BAL-31F.jpg

WS-15 is much more powerful than AL-31F. The AL-31F’s nozzle has shrunk so that
the speed of smoke is much higher than that of the WS-15 with nozzle not shrunk
while they produce similar thrust for the J-20

Mil-news-sina-com-cn in report reveals that the temperature before turbine is 1,474 degree Celsius in WS-15, the highest in the world. No wonder WS-15 is much more powerful than AL-31F. Its reliability lies between Western and Russian ones with a life of 900 hours longer than AL-31F.
Since the engine problem has been solved, J-20 can be regarded as a capable modern stealth fighter as it has satisfactory electronics and stealth shape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom