What's new

China's solid-state laser, "The Divine Laser III"

Just can't take a 2012-2014 timeframe seriously regardless of how respectable the leaker is at this point in time. A viable ship mounted missile defense laser in 3 years when the similar projects in the US (presumably better funded) we know about are slated 2017 for the earliest and 2020+ as expected?

If they are as accurate about this as you say they've been about other things, then the world is in for a major major surprise.

Til then please pass the salt.;)

There was an American report (and not a blog or some random internet BBS) that estimated that China's laser weapons research program was 15 years ahead of that of the United States.

Too bad I can't find it now...

There was an American report (and not a blog or some random internet BBS) that estimated that China's laser weapons research program was 15 years ahead of that of the United States.

I'd be really interested in seeing that, if you do find it or remember what it was feel free to post it or pm me.

Richard Fisher wrote it. He thought the dazzler on the Type 99 was an anti-satellite weapon. Go figure.

Umm ...if they fall in water they should penetrate water right ??

Atmospheric effects could already wreak significant havoc on light intensity. Water is only gonna make it worse.

I'd be really interested in seeing that, if you do find it or remember what it was feel free to post it or pm me.

Do some research Anon45 and you will find that it is U.S. researchers that have made the biggest advances in high energy weapons technology. There have been various reasons for the cancellation of different successful programs. With the Chemical lasers the biggest problem was the large amounts of extremely toxic chemicals needed to power them. It was simply impractical and dangerous. The advantage of Chemical lasers is they are in the megawatt class.

About 5-6 years ago big advances in solid state lasers took place. These are less powerful compared to chemical lasers. But much more safe to operate with the added advantage of being able to be dialed up or down in power. They are a Kilowatt class laser currently able to be fired at upwards of 150 kw. This is powerful enough to destroy missiles and aircraft. But requires a longer lasing of the target. They are also more vulnerable to atmospheric attenuation.

Recently the U.S. Navy made advances in FEL laser research. FEL lasers operate on a totally different principle. They are basically the ultimate laser because of their power and the fact they are not hindered my atmospheric conditions. They can fire through fog, rain, snow, ECT. They can fire through 508 cm of steel in 1 second. This makes them especially useful in naval warfare. Which is why the Navy is so interested in them. The challenge with future FEL research is the need to miniaturize the particle accelerator needed to power them.

FEL Laser

Solid State Lasers

Chemical Lasers

Recently however because of cuts in defense spending. The U.S. Navy FEL and Rail Gun programs lost their funding. Does this mean the end of U.S. research in these technologies? No! Army and Air force programs continue and the defense companies themselves are continuing with research programs paid for out of their own pockets.

Do some research Anon45 and you will find that it is U.S. researchers that have made the biggest advances in high energy weapons technology. There have been various reasons for the cancellation of different successful programs. With the Chemical lasers the biggest problem was the large amounts of extremely toxic chemicals needed to power them. It was simply impractical and dangerous. The advantage of Chemical lasers is they are in the megawatt class.

About 5-6 years ago big advances in solid state lasers took place. These are less powerful compared to chemical lasers. But much more safe to operate with the added advantage of being able to be dialed up or down in power. They are a Kilowatt class laser currently able to be fired at upwards of 150 kw. This is powerful enough to destroy missiles and aircraft. But requires a longer lasing of the target. They are also more vulnerable to atmospheric attenuation.

Recently the U.S. Navy made advances in FEL laser research. FEL lasers operate on a totally different principle. They are basically the ultimate laser because of their power and the fact they are not hindered my atmospheric conditions. They can fire through fog, rain, snow, ECT. They can fire through 508 cm of steel in 1 second. This makes them especially useful in naval warfare. Which is why the Navy is so interested in them. The challenge with future FEL research is the need to miniaturize the particle accelerator needed to power them.

FEL Laser

Solid State Lasers

Chemical Lasers

Recently however because of cuts in defense spending. The U.S. Navy FEL and Rail Gun programs lost their funding. Does this mean the end of U.S. research in these technologies? No! Army and Air force programs continue and the defense companies themselves are continuing with research programs paid for out of their own pockets.

Yes the US has made great public strides in laser technology, and there really is no way to tell how advanced China is within the discussed applications of DEW.

Yes I know of the US lasers, and the budget issue isn't settled yet as far as I know, so we still aren't totally sure if the budget is to be cut. The navy seems like it won't let these programs go down without a fight.

I think we can both agree though that it doesn't matter how much either country touts their advances, Current capability matters more than projected capability. If China does put a viable hardkill laser missile defence system on a destroyer and does it consistently within the next 3 years, then even an unobjective observer will have to admit that at that point Beijing is more advanced in the application of DEW, at least temporarily.

Yes the US has made great public strides in laser technology, and there really is no way to tell how advanced China is within the discussed applications of DEW.

Yes I know of the US lasers, and the budget issue isn't settled yet as far as I know, so we still aren't totally sure if the budget is to be cut. The navy seems like it won't let these programs go down without a fight.

I think we can both agree though that it doesn't matter how much either country touts their advances, Current capability matters more than projected capability. If China does put a viable hardkill laser missile defence system on a destroyer and does it consistently within the next 3 years, then even an unobjective observer will have to admit that at that point Beijing is more advanced in the application of DEW, at least temporarily.

I hope they do actually, it will open wide the funding gates in the U.S.

the laser posted is SG-III for fusion research, not for weapon..lol

the current energy output for SG-III is 200 KJ, 400 KJ future upgrade..
the US and france has megajoule laser for many years now, china is way behind.
the SG-IV 1.5 MJ facility will close the gape a bit, but won't be ready until 2020.

sg3r.jpg

sg34x.jpg

Journal of the Korean Physical Society, Vol. 56, No. 1, January 2010, pp. 177∼183
Current Trends in Laser Fusion Driver and Beam Combination Laser Systems
Using Stimulated Brillouin Scattering Phase Conjugate Mirrors for a Fusion
Driver
Hong Jin Kong,
∗ Jae Sung Shin, Du Hyun Beak and Sangwoo Park
Department of Physics, KAIST, Daejeon 305-701

The Chinese inherited 90% of the rare earth element of the market; "yellow dirt" is certainly not the only ingredients they have.

Rare earth minerals are not actually all that rare. however they are expensive to mine and can create large amounts of toxic waste. China had cheap labor and willing to overlook the enviromental damage from mining and processing it. That is why they control the market. When China started flexing thier muscle recently on the supply. It woke the world up to some degree. There are now rare earth operations being pursued around the world so that the world supply can not be totally choked off.

the laser posted is SG-III for fusion research, not for weapon..lol

the current energy output for SG-III is 200 KJ, 400 KJ future upgrade..
the US and france has megajoule laser for many years now, china is way behind.
the SG-IV 1.5 MJ facility will close the gape a bit, but won't be ready until 2020.

sg3r.jpg

sg34x.jpg

Journal of the Korean Physical Society, Vol. 56, No. 1, January 2010, pp. 177∼183
Current Trends in Laser Fusion Driver and Beam Combination Laser Systems
Using Stimulated Brillouin Scattering Phase Conjugate Mirrors for a Fusion
Driver
Hong Jin Kong,
∗ Jae Sung Shin, Du Hyun Beak and Sangwoo Park
Department of Physics, KAIST, Daejeon 305-701

I've been trying to say this but no one is listening! Thnx.

Personally Divine light III is far more significant than any kind of laser weapon since it may serve as the pathway to a new, safe, and almost limitless energy source!

I looked all over the internet for it, but no avail. I won't blame you if you label me as a BSer, but I do remember reading it clearly. I had my doubts as well.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Richard Fisher wrote it. He thought the dazzler on the Type 99 was an anti-satellite weapon. Go figure.

It wasn't Richard Fisher's report. It was a different report.

I looked all over the internet for it, but no avail. I won't blame you if you label me as a BSer, but I do remember reading it clearly. I had my doubts as well.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

It wasn't Richard Fisher's report. It was a different report.

Do you remember who the author was then? Maybe then took it down.

Do you remember who the author was then? Maybe then took it down.

No, that's the thing. I read the report many years ago. The reason why I remember it is because it stated that China is 15 years ahead of the US in laser weapons research. I have my doubts, but it still stuck out.

Back
Top Bottom