What's new

China's solid-state laser, "The Divine Laser III"

China News: U.S. Boeing to Develop High-Brightness Laser.

China is developing a similar system based on their Y-20 transport aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, that's the reason why they are stockpiling their rare earths reserves at that current rate.

No, I'm for real check this out: at 0:12

And Also check this out too from an ex-french physicist Jean Pierre Petit on Magnétohydrodynamique: B-2

Ok, so could this be the sole reason that B2 costs so much to build? :coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chinese inherited 90% of the rare earth element of the market; "yellow dirt" is certainly not the only ingredients they have.

According to several reliable senior members, the first batch of the Type 052D gonna be installed with the laser defense system, and the second batch with the railgun.

25_173056_14b5ffed8bcbede.jpg

sorry, even the most optimistic US laser production estimates are into late this decade or early next one, as with a railgun. China fielding a naval laser defence system by next year is a bit hard to believe you understand.

It could be a case of Chinese railgun and laser tech being far more advanced then the rest of the world and China having been conducting testing since the Mao Era, but it's more likely somethings fishy with what these analysts are basing their talks on. Or someone mistranslated/misunderstood.

Not only that, there is absolutely no discussion of the news in related english media at least, which is telling me that it isn't considered news/ isn't credible enough.
Overall I feel a healthy dose (3 tons worth) of skepticism is needed on these pretty astounding claims. This would certainly be bigger news than an anti ship missile.

sorry, even the most optimistic US laser production estimates are into late this decade or early next one, as with a railgun. China fielding a naval laser defence system by next year is a bit hard to believe you understand.

It could be a case of Chinese railgun and laser tech being far more advanced then the rest of the world and China having been conducting testing since the Mao Era, but it's more likely somethings fishy with what these analysts are basing their talks on. Or someone mistranslated/misunderstood.

Not only that, there is absolutely no discussion of the news in related english media at least, which is telling me that it isn't considered news/ isn't credible enough.
Overall I feel a healthy dose (3 tons worth) of skepticism is needed on these pretty astounding claims. This would certainly be bigger news than an anti ship missile.
There were a lot of talks in 2006 to 2007.Googel "Chinese anti-sat laser" by yourself
China jamming test sparks U.S. satellite concerns - USATODAY.com
Space: Chinese Anti-Satellite Laser
Chinese Lasers and U.S. Satellites (2007) | Union of Concerned Scientists

U.S maybe still No.1 in this area as they usually do in other fields.
don't care. it's glad to know that China become a top player.
exciting news come often this year. pretty cool.

I was referring to the talk that the Type 52d would come with a laser defence system and later a railgun. Completely different from blinding lasers. Unless I misunderstood and the 52d is being equipped with blinding lasers, not lasers designed to take down missiles?

I was referring to the talk that the Type 52d would come with a laser defence system and later a railgun. Completely different from blinding lasers. Unless I misunderstood and the 52d is being equipped with blinding lasers, not lasers designed to take down missiles?

There are several laser weapon projects ongoing in China.What the 2006 anti-sat laser test is part of them and it's a kind of soft-kill weapon.What I tried to clarrify is that the reports from the west is a direct evidence that the Chinese defence industry is devloping that kind of weapon.Back to the topic,acturally the 052D project(if this is the finnal name) was a hot topic two or three months ago on Chinese defence forums.Pepole said the 052D will be the backbone of the Chinese sea based bllastic missile defence.It's going to equipped the rumored HQ-XX(HQ-26 I guess,believed to be Chinese type SM-3) air defence missile incooperating with a laser defence device on it.At the same time a fuzzy picture was leaked which was told that the PLA conducted a hard-kill laser test to burn an army 122mm rocket.Technically it doesn't make sence to equip a soft-kill laser device on the 052D due to the reasons:1.The PLA already had a blinding-laser deviced on the type99 MBT for years,why they suddenlly remembered to put it on a destroyer? 2.To blind whom on an Agelis ship since in most of the engagements you won't see the enemy.If you ask the direct evidence,only the fuzzy picture current we have,I would rather not to post it.But again,all the information was leaked by the so called insiders who reaveled the J-20,anti-ship BM, JL-2 SLBM and other proved projects.

Actually its true - in Mao's days China indeed spent huge amounts of money on laser and optics research, mostly for civilian purposes but some of it inevitably leaks out into military applications.

China is one of the world's top suppliers of laser welders and industrial laser cutters currently. Changing these to military applications will be difficult but not totally impossible. My own hometown is a major center for laser and optics research.

I am not sure about the rail gun part... don't know where people got that from.

Well it is good to be skeptical about internet net claims. However as I've stated before several famous "big shrimps" on Chinese forums, who have made good predictions in the past, support some form of "hard-kill" point defence laser on the next Chinese destroyer. The best thing for us to do is just sit and watch... see if anything important comes out in the 2012-2014 time frame.

Actually its true - in Mao's days China indeed spent huge amounts of money on laser and optics research, mostly for civilian purposes but some of it inevitably leaks out into military applications.

China is one of the world's top suppliers of laser welders and industrial laser cutters currently. Changing these to military applications will be difficult but not totally impossible. My own hometown is a major center for laser and optics research.

There is rumour that some of the UFO sightings in Western China are actually projections of dye laser beams on clouds. Dye laser is supposed to be used for astronomical purposes.

It's going to equipped the rumored HQ-XX(HQ-26 I guess,believed to be Chinese type SM-3) air defence missile incooperating with a laser defence device on it.At the same time a fuzzy picture was leaked which was told that the PLA conducted a hard-kill laser test to burn an army 122mm rocket.

Can you post the picture of the hard kill laser test on the army 122 mm rocket?

And where did you hear of the HQ-26?

I am not sure about the rail gun part... don't know where people got that from.

Well it is good to be skeptical about internet net claims. However as I've stated before several famous "big shrimps" on Chinese forums, who have made good predictions in the past, support some form of "hard-kill" point defence laser on the next Chinese destroyer. The best thing for us to do is just sit and watch... see if anything important comes out in the 2012-2014 time frame.

Just can't take a 2012-2014 timeframe seriously regardless of how respectable the leaker is at this point in time. A viable ship mounted missile defense laser in 3 years when the similar projects in the US (presumably better funded) we know about are slated 2017 for the earliest and 2020+ as expected?

If they are as accurate about this as you say they've been about other things, then the world is in for a major major surprise.

Til then please pass the salt.;)

Back
Top Bottom