What's new

China’s popularity in Bangladesh dips a bit over Myanmar issue

I'm sorry but there is zero chance that I will ever support Bangladesh over the CPC.

I'm glad the CPC works for the interests of China, not for the interests of Bangladesh or the Rohingyas, or any other foreigners.

I didn't support Bangladesh over CPC either, but there is something important I need to point out.

Deng has ruined the spirit of the PLA, although Jiang has built China's modernized military industrial complex, but the spirit has never been recovered.

Only with the modernized weapons is not the solution, just look at the failure of the US army in the Middle East and Afghanistan.

In order to build up an invincible army, the PLA needs to fully recover the spirit of the Mao era.

I didn't support Bangladesh over CPC either, but there is something important I need to point out.

Deng has ruined the spirit of the PLA, although Jiang has built China's modernized military industrial complex, but the spirit has never been recovered.

Only with the modernized weapons is not the solution, just look at the failure of the US army in the Middle East and Afghanistan.

In order to build up an invincible army, the PLA needs to fully recover the spirit of the Mao era.

Brother you know I respect you a lot, you are one of my favorite members on this forum, but I can't agree with you on this topic.

China has to take care of Chinese interests first.

And it upsets me that so many Bangladeshi members are bashing China just because we are protecting our own interests in the UNSC. After what happened with Sonadia port we never had any obligation to help them.

There were never any problems between Chinese and Bangladeshi members on this forum until the Rohingya crisis, when they blamed us for supporting Myanmar's attacks on Rohingya.

I never had any problem with Bangladesh, but not only have they sold us out on the Sonadia port, they are accusing us of supporting genocide against Rohingyas.

Again we didnt sell you for anything! India,Japan,USA (USA and Japan has large investment in Bangladesh) had immense pressure on Sheikh Hasina not to sign the deal.Now after India,Japan taking the opposite direction regarding roh issue you can be assured BAL now understand they made a mistake in this regard although its late.

They are supporting the US and Indian narrative against China.

How is that actually? You are judging everything from a single sonadia deep sea port deal?

Brother you know I respect you a lot, you are one of my favorite members on this forum, but I can't agree with you on this topic.

And it upsets me that so many Bangladeshi members are bashing China just because we are protecting our own interests in the UNSC. After what happened with Sonadia port we never had any obligation to help them.

CPC's soft stance is also the main problem, the Doklam stance was a perfect example to show that CPC's aggression level is by far too passive to be a superpower in this world.

If India was doing this stunt in front of the US or Russia, it would immediately get crushed into pieces.

Not only Bangladesh, even Nepal is doing flip flop because of CPC's soft stance.

That's why I emphasize the importance of Mao's spirit. Otherwise, Taiwan's problem would never get solved and it would haunt China forever.

Last edited:
CPC's soft stance is also the main problem, the Doklam stance was a perfect example to show that CPC's aggression level is by far too passive to be superpower in this world.

If India was doing this stunt in front of the US or Russia, it would immediately get crushed into pieces.

Not only Bangladesh, even Nepal is doing flip flop because of CPC's soft stance.

That's why I emphasize the importance of Mao's spirit. Otherwise, Taiwan would never get solved and it would haunt China forever.

That's an issue of internal politics, but right now it is China vs foreigners.

If foreigners insult China, and say that we are complicit in the genocide of Rohingya, and boast about giving military bases to the US in order to contain China, then obviously the Chinese members are going to be angry.

What is happening to the Rohingya is sad, but so is what happened to the Kokang, or any other disaster in any corner of the world. The Rohingya are not more special or important than the others, let other countries help us with our problems and then they can get help from us.

Mao was always very promising to his little friends. He confronted the US twice; first time for North Korea, second time for Vietnam.

Bangladesh is more an ally of India or the US. We have no mutual defence treaty with them like we had with North Korea, and the Bangladeshi government is controlled by India who themselves are a vassal of the US. Just look at Sonadia port to see who's instructions they are following.

Last edited:
That's an issue of internal politics, but right now it is China vs foreigners.

If foreigners insult China, and say that we are complicit in the genocide of Rohingya, and boast about giving military bases to the US in order to contain China, then obviously the Chinese members are going to be angry.

What is happening to the Rohingya is sad, but so is what happened to the Kokang, or any other disaster in any corner of the world. The Rohingya are not more special or important than the others, let other countries help us with our problems and then they can get help from us.

They are not the true malicious China haters, and I understand their frustration. That's why I don't wanna fight them. And we should just leave this issue aside right now.

BTW, Mao was always very promising to his little friends. He confronted the US twice; first time for North Korea, second time for Vietnam.

If today's CPC leaders are 50% as brave as Mao, then the situation would get much better, you wouldn't see China's neighbors doing flip flop in front of us.

When the mentality of our leaders is not strong enough, then you can't blame those countries not being loyal to China for the sake of their own survival.

We are looking after our own national interests, so are they.

1. you lost sonadia port, simply because CPC wanted full control of the port. Banglaesh would get loan and for that China would get interest. Beside that Chinese workers would work here and share would have been 50-50.
But your CPC wanted full of it. Now tell me, who was more rational here ?
2. you forgot to mention USA has eye on sonadia long before you have. We continuously denied them.
Now tell me, did not we do a favor to you by keeping USA out of here ?

I don't think it was the main issue, since China was using 50-50 to lease the port of Piraeus from Greece.

Now it has been many years, and the Greece is perfectly happy that China is operating their port by hiring their workers with the same wage as before.

I think the US-Japan lobbying power has influenced a couple of your politicians.

Since these two countries are now doing everything to stop China.

Bangladesh is more an ally of India or the US.

76fa72fea9d5ff961347fbdb51d5a38c9aee08c61177691a944ad1520874ae0b.jpg

I'm glad the CPC works for the interests of China, not for the interests of Bangladesh or the Rohingyas, or any other foreigners.
What is happening to the Rohingya is sad, but so is what happened to the Kokang, or any other disaster in any corner of the world. The Rohingya are not more special or important than the others.

Nature of Rohingya crisis not up to Washington to define

By Ai Jun Source:Global Times Published: 2017/11/23 22:53:39

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson claimed in a written statement Wednesday that "the situation in northern Rakhine state constitutes ethnic cleansing against the Rohingya." Ethnic cleansing, according to the definition of a UN commission of experts, means "a purposeful policy designed by one ethnic or religious group to remove by violent and terror-inspiring means the civilian population of another ethnic or religious group from certain geographic areas." Leveling such an accusation causes a worldwide sensation. The question is whether the US can define the nature of the crisis.

The root cause of the Rohingya crisis lies in the historical conflicts between Buddhist and Muslim communities in Rakhine state. After deadly attacks by so-called Rohingya Arsa militants in October last year, Myanmar launched a military crackdown in the region. The operation was aimed at terrorists.

Nay Pyi Taw has been coping with the turmoil. As long as the government continues to govern, only it can be counted on for the final and thorough resolution of the current crisis, not the US.

The ASEAN Chairman's Statement of the 31st ASEAN Summit offered no description of the alleged persecution the local people are suffering. All it said about the crisis was a number of ASEAN leaders encourage Myanmar to "take immediate steps to end the violence in Rakhine … (and) address the refugee problem through verification process" and support the Myanmar government in its efforts to promote harmony and reconciliation between the various communities.

This is a signal that ASEAN does not welcome interference in Myanmar's domestic affairs by outside forces. The last thing it wants is to witness Myanmar fall apart. That's why ASEAN accepted Nay Pyi Taw's entry into the bloc in 1997 despite pressure from the West not to do so.

US sanctions toward Myanmar from 1988 to 2016 were not aimed at Myanmar, but to enlarge Washington's own strategic influence in the area by giving support to pro-US forces. However, the approach severely deteriorated the living conditions of the ordinary people of Myanmar.

When Rwandan suffered from genocide over a decade ago, the US was among the first countries to receive the information. But then US secretary of state Warren Christopher decided not to use the word "genocide," because once it was designated as such, the US was obligated to abide by the UN Convention to adopt a rescue operation.

Yet when the Darfur region of western Sudan was plagued by war, the US hide behind NGOs and attempted to link the genocide there to the Beijing Olympic Games.

Rohingya Muslims need a solution, not a definition. For Myanmar's residents, what they desire is stability, not more chaos and disturbance.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1076931.shtml

BD geostrategic consideration will not change vis a vis china.

Bangladesh understands China's calculus and am fairly sure robust discussions are taking place behind the scene.

BDs primary aim is economic development and china will play a massive part in that.

BD will militarise massively again I see china being the primary component in that.

Only a fool will think BD does not have cards to play, we do and it will be played.

Our strategic calculus is not containment of china it's containment of India.

Both BD and china is able to ride this out. Two countries can not share every priority and no one is going to be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

For that to happen, you need to have a GOB that is favorable to your mindset. Wake me when that happens. Empty discussions on anonymous forums are just useless.

There were never any problems between Chinese and Bangladeshi members on this forum until the Rohingya crisis, when they blamed us for supporting Myanmar's attacks on Rohingya.

You and many other Chinese members here are all hiding behind the same discourse of 'national interests', no offence, but this attitude actually resembles a small regional power like India, not a global power.

China's first veto at the UNSC came in 1972, against the Bangladeshi admission to the UN. It was only China who were against Bangladesh's inclusion. Yet, you would never see Bangladesh showing any anti-China stance in any sphere, rather we always sought close friendship with China. In fact, the Pew survey in 2014 revealed, Bangladeshis are the second most favorable nation towards China after Pakistanis. While, as far as I know, there is a substantial anti-Chinese sentiments present in Myanmar.

And now, in our time of need, this is the attitude we are receiving from China! If such attitude persists towards its well wishers, China will lose its credibility as a reliable ally in the long run.

Last edited:
Its funny to see Chinese bashing USA. USA is China's main export destination. If USA stops buying Chinese goods, China would be poorer. Same goes for BD. We export the most to the US. If US stops buying from us our people will be poorer. China can't change our narrative on the Rohingya issue. And good luck to China if they think they will lead the world with allies like Myanmar and NK.

Looking at Chinese attitude here its evident why countries look up to the US and the west to solve international crisis. Not to China.

BD is not ally of US and India, if it was, BD won't buy weapons from Russia and China.
However, BD has to consider India's interest because they has no option since they're surrounded. Sonadia port has no strategic value anyway, it's only a business port, China won't be stupid enough to station a fleet there just like Gwadar, quite easy destroyed by India Navy. NO, both ports are for business, it's same for ports of Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

Most KW here (keyboard warriors) here has little sense over geopolitics, driven by emotion.
1971 veto against BD has no problem because it's a separation from Pakistan, RPC and BD established normal diplomatic relationship few years later, the politicians from both countries understand this point that veto does not equal *against*, it's more complicated than that.

The veto on Rohingyas issue does not mean *against* BD, this is necessary to create an environment for reconciliation and practical solution except that BD want to escalate this issue into a more large scale collision, of course, this definitely lead to a big loss of BD.

In fact, the only event out of my expectation is Modi's visit to MM, India quickly fix their fault by abstaining its vote later. It's funny that BD members here even feel satisfied with India's abstaining. You need practical solution, not a veto or vote, this is where China can play a role nobody can replace.

BD is not ally of US and India, if it was, BD won't buy weapons from Russia and China.
However, BD has to consider India's interest because they has no option since they're surrounded. Sonadia port has no strategic value anyway, it's only a business port, China won't be stupid enough to station a fleet there just like Gwadar, quite easy destroyed by India Navy. NO, both ports are for business, it's same for ports of Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

Most KW here (keyboard warriors) here has little sense over geopolitics, driven by emotion.
1971 veto against BD has no problem because it's a separation from Pakistan, RPC and BD established normal diplomatic relationship few years later, the politicians from both countries understand this point that veto does not equal *against*, it's more complicated than that.

The veto on Rohingyas issue does not mean *against* BD, this is necessary to create an environment for reconciliation and practical solution except that BD want to escalate this issue into a more large scale collision, of course, this definitely lead to a big loss of BD.

In fact, the only event out of my expectation is Modi's visit to MM, India quickly fix their fault by abstaining its vote later. It's funny that BD members here even feel satisfied with India's abstaining. You need practical solution, not a veto or vote, this is where China can play a role nobody can replace.

It was China which escalated the situation by encouraging Burmese not BD. It would not even gone to UN nor Burmese continued destruction if China just stayed mum.

In fact, the Pew survey in 2014 revealed, Bangladeshis are the second most favorable nation towards China after Pakistanis. While, as far as I know, there is a substantial anti-Chinese sentiments present in Myanmar.

And we are paying the price every day with hostile Indian administration for this favorable 'Friendly towards China' policy'. 90% of our trade and industrial purchases (including of course military purchases) are from China and Indian politicians use this pretext to justify illegal withdrawal of water from rivers, border killings and other illegal acts.

Look at some examples....

http://www.catchnews.com/internatio...he-dragon-woos-this-neighbour-1476463892.html

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom