What's new

China will take strong counter measures

(Didn't knew that, apologies to Japanese if offended,unintentional.)

Any response from Japanese yet about this demand made by China?

A number of measures can by undertaken by the public.

I think Toyota, Honda and Nissan each has a 6% market shares in China, Mazda and Suzuki also have very substantial Chinese presence, so are Subaru and Mitsubishi to a lesser extent.

So I won't be surprised if Japanese carmakers have a combined 25% share of the Chinese market, which by the way happens to be not only the world's largest but still growing rapidly. See, if the Japanese government decides to do what they damn please then there's a possibility Chinese consumers will be less likely to buy Japanese cars.

A number of measures can by undertaken by the public.

I think Toyota, Honda and Nissan each has a 6% market shares in China, Mazda and Suzuki also have very substantial Chinese presence, so are Subaru and Mitsubishi to a lesser extent.

So I won't be surprised if Japanese carmakers have a combined 25% share of the Chinese market, which by the way happens to be not only the world's largest but still growing rapidly. See, if the Japanese government decides to do what they damn please then there's a possibility Chinese consumers will be less likely to buy Japanese cars.

Overrated concerns:

1. At the very height of tensions with Japan in the past, have not seen any did in sales of Japanese products in China despite boycott calls.

2. Nearly all the Japanese products purchased by the Chinese are manufactured in factories in China itself. Meaning if Chinese people dont buy Japanese products then its is Chinese workers who will loose their jobs.

3. High unemployment equals social unrest & social unrest nearly equals regime change & the CPC is rather worried about that happening. So any popular boycott of Japanese products is highly unlikely.

Overrated concerns:

1. At the very height of tensions with Japan in the past, have not seen any did in sales of Japanese products in China despite boycott calls.

2. Nearly all the Japanese products purchased by the Chinese are manufactured in factories in China itself. Meaning if Chinese people dont buy Japanese products then its is Chinese workers who will loose their jobs.

3. High unemployment equals social unrest & social unrest nearly equals regime change & the CPC is rather worried about that happening. So any popular boycott of Japanese products is highly unlikely.

China is already the world's biggest carmaker and the central government is warning about a potential overcapacity problem, but as usual nobody gives a damn about what the central government says. So new car factories sprout across China on almost daily basis, eventually some of them will have to close. I don't think people will mind if Japanese associated factories are somehow overrepresented among those who runs out of business, if the relationship continue to deteriorate.

Car is not like other goods, it does not just stay at one's homes but it's also serves as a public 'face' for the owner. So social pressure will play a bigger role in the decision. Also buying a car in China is usually a family affair, everyone in the family will have a say. So if a hotheaded teenager read a call for boycotting Japanese cars on the internet and decide to participate, then his or her parents will not be buying a Japanese car. So experiences of past boycotts when few Chinese are buying cars do not necessarily carry over to the present situation.

Another thing is the center of buying power in China is moving from cosmopolitan coastal cities to second or third tier inland cities where people are usually more nationalistic.

Of course there's no way to predict a meaningful boycott will or will happen, but it will be an potential development to watch out as the drama unfolds.

Overrated concerns:

Now, I doubt any sort of meaningful boycott is gonna happen, but your argument doesn't make sense. Chinese people would still want cars, just not Japanese cars, which means factories(and by extension workers) elsewhere will pick up the slack left by the Japanese.

I'd like to see what countermeasures the government will take.
Protest?:cheesy:
Solemnly protest?:woot:
Strongly protest?:devil:
Vehemently protest?:flame:

What do you want them to do?

Send in naval ships?
Blockade Japan?
Launch ballistic missiles at Japan?
Nuke Japan?

What i cant understand is the CCP says they dont want a rise in rampant nationalisim yet every minor incident is OH MY GOOD the evil .........( fill in which ever foul enemy of every thing Chinese ) has insulted us by having boats in the pacific our second artillery will make ash of their cities we will grind them into dust and dance on their graves.

Rather than ..hmm one of our fishing boats had a small navigationall error and the kind Japaneese are helping in their return nothing to see here.

And they kindly helped our captain to 5 star hotel treatment lol.

Rather than ..hmm one of our fishing boats had a small navigationall error and the kind Japaneese are helping in their return nothing to see here.

That's a curious view of events;) In territorial disputes every little thing takes on symbolic qualities. It's not just China, but any such dispute.

What i cant understand is the CCP says they dont want a rise in rampant nationalisim yet every minor incident is OH MY GOOD the evil .........( fill in which ever foul enemy of every thing Chinese ) has insulted us by having boats in the pacific our second artillery will make ash of their cities we will grind them into dust and dance on their graves.

It's the other way round. The CCP is making nationalistic moves to pacify the ultra-nationalists.

How do you "vent" nationalist frustrations in a one-party system? You give them something that they want.

Ultra-nationalism is big a threat to the CCP as well.

Due to a difference of perspective .....there seems to be a growing disconnect between Japan and China......rightly or wrongly this incident is the latest of series of incidents over the recent years....mostly diplomatic...which will probably give the hardliners in the CPC foreign department a free rein .....while convincing the Japanese of China's growing assertiveness and prompt them to increase military posturing.....quite bleak prospects ......

Due to a difference of perspective .....there seems to be a growing disconnect between Japan and China......rightly or wrongly this incident is the latest of series of incidents over the recent years....mostly diplomatic...which will probably give the hardliners in the CPC foreign department a free rein .....while convincing the Japanese of China's growing assertiveness and prompt them to increase military posturing.....quite bleak prospects ......

Psssttt with all due respect, this just won't happen. I am willing to lay odds on it. Economic considerations still trumps emotion for the moment. While the people may want to punish Japan, the CCP doesn't want to or need to act substantively right now.

Back
Top Bottom