What's new

China versus India - a thorough analysis

I believe for the future Pakistan vs. India and China vs. USA I should include maternal mortality, infant mortality, and some sort of poverty index.

Anything else?

Car ownership, electricity consumption, FDI....

urbanization rate

The ultimate measure of success for people in this world is to have their own POV, historical narratives, their own value systems in their defined framework.

India and Europe are the Two Poles in this World.

Rest do not matter.

South Korea - 22% Christianity - Like Philippines On the way to Salvation :omghaha:

China - Communist Country.

India is one of the two poles in the world? Are you a troll? Most Europeans think of Indians as losers. You have a GDP lower than Italy, and comparable to Canada. Your country, though poorer than 90% of the world, is actually experiencing a currency collapse, showing that you don't have what it takes to even emulate the West.

Go and tell the West that you are one of the poles of the world (as most of you Indians tend to do when you want to be accepted as White), and see what they say. I think they might deport you.

And South Korea has lost any streak of Christianity. It has fallen under 20% and will continue to fall until it reaches 5% my mid-century, while the majority of you Indians are Buddhist and Hindu; religious and cultural beliefs created by Indo-Aryans who migrated from the Pontic-Caspian steppes in Eastern Europe. You are basically taking a culture from European peoples' and calling it your own. How's that for originality?

Car ownership, electricity consumption, FDI....

urbanization rate

Not sure about car ownership because it doesn't (to me) translate to living standards or national/economic power. Some countries have very low car ownership because of high-speed railways, high population density, etc.

The other three are a good idea. I was actually considering electricity consumption and FDI, though I didn't end up putting them in.

Quality of Life Index has been revised for 2013. Please check it up.

And the results are surprising.

India : Rank 43

China : Rank 58

Quality of life is not the same as HDI, and if you think so, I can only be amazed.

Why are you so stuck up on "Hard data"? Is it because that's the only aspect you can tout?

It's because it's the only aspect that can't be argued against. All of this subjectively analysed data is due to the whims and personal opinions of the analysts suggesting who should be ranked where.

It's a joke, and in my opinion not worthy of recognition. Anyone who has been to both countries knows exactly how the "quality of life" is for each nation.

Also, please post the link as it appears this index is not taken seriously enough to be found on a Google Search.

India is one of the two poles in the world? Are you a troll? Most Europeans think of Indians as losers. You have a GDP lower than Italy, and comparable to Canada. Your country, though poorer than 90% of the world, is actually experiencing a currency collapse, showing that you don't have what it takes to even emulate the West.

Go and tell the West that you are one of the poles of the world (as most of you Indians tend to do when you want to be accepted as White), and see what they say. I think they might deport you.

And South Korea has lost any streak of Christianity. It has fallen under 20% and will continue to fall until it reaches 5% my mid-century, while the majority of you Indians are Buddhist and Hindu; religious and cultural beliefs created by Indo-Aryans who migrated from the Pontic-Caspian steppes in Eastern Europe. You are basically taking a culture from European peoples' and calling it your own. How's that for originality?

Not sure about car ownership because it doesn't (to me) translate to living standards or national/economic power. Some countries have very low car ownership because of high-speed railways, high population density, etc.

The other three are a good idea. I was actually considering electricity consumption and FDI, though I didn't end up putting them in.

Steel productivity, Manufacturing statistics, number of built rail-tracks/guages, length of highways/Expressways.

Steel productivity, Manufacturing statistics, number of built rail-tracks/guages, length of highways/Expressways.

Yes very good, though I won't find accurate statistics on steel productivity.

What sort of manufacturing statistics to be precise?

Yes very good, though I won't find accurate statistics on steel productivity.

What sort of manufacturing statistics to be precise?

Erm... How about number of automobiles manufactured in USA and China, and number of raw material imported (an good indicator of manufacturing)

It's because it's the only aspect that can't be argued against. All of this subjectively analysed data is due to the whims and personal opinions of the analysts suggesting who should be ranked where.

It's a joke, and in my opinion not worthy of recognition. Anyone who has been to both countries knows exactly how the "quality of life" is for each nation.

Also, please post the link as it appears this index is not taken seriously enough to be found on a Google Search.

I got it through a google search. Maybe they censor it in your country.

Hard data is what? Just numbers. So how do you tie it to anything of human significance? China GDP is higher than India.....so what? It is just numbers which means nothing unless you assign a subjective, human relevant correlate to it. If hard data is all you use then the moment you use it to impute that richness = better quality of life, you yourself are entering into a subjective evaluation. So why should one value your subjective opinion over those of experts?

And a visitor is not competent to evaluate quality of life since all he gets are fleeting impressions.

I got it through a google search. Maybe they censor it in your country.

Hard data is what? Just numbers. So how do you tie it to anything of human significance? China GDP is higher than India.....so what? It is just numbers which means nothing unless you assign a subjective, human relevant correlate to it. If hard data is all you use then the moment you use it to impute that richness = better quality of life, you yourself are entering into a subjective evaluation. So why should one value your subjective opinion over those of experts?

And a visitor is not competent to evaluate quality of life since all he gets are fleeting impressions.

I'm going to ask you for the last time. Post the link.

There is no comparison.

China has done good work.
Indians can hope that their governments will change and start to deliver as well.

Per capita basis, both are far behind in the development list.

There are a long way to go.

I see people endlessly discussing which country is better. China? Or India? Instead of stating my personal opinion, I find that it's best to give out the actual numbers to ascertain which country is better.

China GDP (PPP) per capita, 2012: $9,162 (93rd place)

India GDP (PPP) per capita, 2012: $3,830 (133rd place)

International Monetary Fund - World Economic Outlook Database April 2013

China life expectancy, 2011: 76 years (49th place)

India life expectancy, 2011: 65 years (118th place)

World Health Organization - Life expectancy: Life expectancy by country

China literacy rate, 2007: 92.2%

India literacy rate, 2011: 74%

The World Factbook - https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2103.html

China nominal GDP, 2012: $8.227 trillion (2nd place)

India nominal GDP, 2012: $1.824 trillion (10th place)

World Economic Outlook - World Economic Outlook Database October 2012

China mean years of schooling (of adults) in 2012: 7.5 years

India mean years of schooling (of adults) in 2012: 4.4 years

UNDP - International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

China research and development spending, 2012: $296.8 billion (2nd place)

India research and development spending, 2011: $36.1 billion (8th place)

Battelle - Media | Press Releases | Battelle R&D Magazine Annual Global Funding Forecast Predicts R&D Spending Growth will Continue While Globalization Accelerates | Battelle

China all-time Olympic Games medal count: 517 medals

India all-time Olympic Games medal count: 26 medals

Olympic - Olympic Games | Winter Summer Past and Future Olympics

China consumer market, 2012: $3 trillion (3rd place)

India consumer market, 2012: $1.1 trillion (10th place)

World Bank - Household final consumption expenditure, etc. (% of GDP) | Data | Table

China number of billionaires, 2012: 161 (2nd place)

India number of billionaires, 2012: 55 (5th place)

Forbes - The World's Billionaires List - Forbes

China net government debt as % of GDP, 2012: 21.3%

India net government debt as % of GDP, 2012: 66.39%

International Monetary Fund - World Economic Outlook Database April 2013

China exports, 2012: $2.489 trillion (1st place)

India exports, 2012: $309.1 billion (17th place)

World Factbook - https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2078rank.html

China current account balance, 2012: $213.8 billion (2nd place)

India current account balance, 2012: $-80.15 billion (deficit; 2nd last place)

World Factbook - https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2187rank.html

China motor vehicle production, 2012: 19,271,808 vehicles (1st place)

India motor vehicle production, 2012: 4,145,194 vehicles (6th place)

OICA - OICA » Production Statistics

China steel production, 2012: 716.5 million tonnes (1st place)

India steel production, 2012: 76.7 million tonnes (4th place)

World Steel Association - http://www.worldsteel.org/dms/internetDocumentList/press-release-downloads/2012/2012-statistics-table/document/2012%20statistics%20table.pdf

China patent applications, 2011: 435,608 (1st place)

India patent applications, 2011: 15,717 (10th place)

China patents granted, 2011: 172,113 (2nd place)

India patents granted, 2011: 5,168 (24th place)

World Intellectual Property Organization - Statistics on Patents

China renewable electricity production, 2011: 797.4 TW·h/year (1st place)

India renewable electricity production, 2011: 162 TW·h/year (6th place)

U.S. Energy Information Administration - International Energy Statistics

China international tourist arrivals, 2012: 57.6 million tourists (3rd place)

India international tourist arrivals, 2012: 5.649 million tourists (n/a place)

China international tourism receipts, 2012: $50.028 billion (4th place; excluding Macau and Hong Kong)

India international tourism receipts, 2012: $17.971 billion (n/a place)

China international tourism expenditure, 2012: $102.0 billion (1st place)

India international tourism expenditure, 2012: $14.0 billion (n/a place)

UN World Tourism Organization - http://dtxtq4w60xqpw.cloudfront.net/sites/all/files/pdf/unwto_highlights13_en_hr_0.pdf

India will never remotely match with China in any time now or future...If some one giving any hope, then it is a mere hope only.....To aspire big, one needs a united vision and ambition to rise...Unfortunately, India is made a nation by the british and I feel this is what the only reason i should be thankful to them....Apart from watching cricket match and Bollywood and signing the song that at one point of time we are doing good, honestly there is nothing called any vision for India to grow further in our political leadership group...Indian political system is never designed to aspire big and take steps to move forward...Our political system is very different...We are still in the age of defining what is India for and once this kind of defining is complete by our leadership then only we can make a serious competition like Singapore in Asia....So forget about China for some good amount of time to get compared with....

I am very sad to say this thing...and i hope that i may prove wrong....But again...these are my hopes only..

Back
Top Bottom