What's new

China unveils latest H6-K bomber prototype.

This is obsolete 50s design with modern avionics and PGMs,still horribly vulnerable to air defences.China should try something like tu-160 blackjack or at least tu-22m backfire.

This is obsolete 50s design with modern avionics and PGMs,still horribly vulnerable to air defences.China should try something like tu-160 blackjack or at least tu-22m backfire.

Tell that to the American for their B-52.

Btw, China are going for project combine of B-2 steath together with speed of Tu-22.

And finally, H-6K carries the CJ-10K cruise missile is capable of range up to 1600 miles which means it can act as a super long range stand off missile carrier. Far far away from enemy air defence.

Tell that to the American for their B-52.

Btw, China are going for project combine of B-2 steath together with speed of Tu-22.

And finally, H-6K carries the CJ-10K missile is capable of range up to 1600 miles which means it can act as a super long range stand off missile carrier.

B-52 is backup strategic bomber .not frontline .It works as bombtruck after total air superiority is achieved.Do you think chinese airforce can achieve same level of air superiority over any of its major neighbours in manner of USAF[say over russia,india or japan/usa?]

I agree on the ALCM carrier part.

B-52 is backup strategic bomber .not frontline .It works as bombtruck after total air superiority is achieved.Do you think chinese airforce can achieve same level of air superiority over any of its major neighbours in manner of USAF[say over russia,india or japan/usa?]

Yes, it can achieve air superiority especially nearby neighbour. Why not? Even you do not agree.

If possible, H-6K can even send to carry out attack missile against African mercenary against Chinese interest. Do you think those African militants has much decent air defense or superior fighter jets?

What if China manages to achieve Air-Superiority along the Indo-China Border perhaps up to 50 kms into Indian Air Space & then uses these Bombers to attack Indian Immobile Targets from stand-off ranges right on the edge of the Indo-China border ? Perhaps Air Superiority over whole swathes of Indian Air Space is neither required nor practically achievable ?

Would that sound plausible ?

What if China manages to achieve Air-Superiority along the Indo-China Border perhaps up to 50 kms into Indian Air Space & then uses these Bombers to attack Indian Immobile Targets from stand-off ranges right on the edge of the Indo-China border ? Perhaps Air Superiority over whole swathes of Indian Air Space is neither required nor practically achievable ?

Would that sound plausible ?

Plausible,yes.Probable no.Due to limited number of squadrons[16..max 21] that can be fielded from tibetan airbases and high altitude penalties that would severely handicap combat performance and load of chinese fighters due to altitude of tibetan plateau and also only chinese turboprop awacs has till now shown ability operate from such high altitudes.The terrain on the chinese side is flat and high plateau which makes it easy to pick them up on radar by indian air defence,but rugged and mountanous on indian side which allows IAF aircraft to use terrain masking to spring tactical surprises..Also to achieve Air superiority over indian airspace they have to defeat both IAF and indian air defence network.With high altitude penalties the service ceiling of many aircarft will be capped making them quite vulnerable to SAMs.Its not a plain numbers game
China actually don't even need ALCMs to attack from just 50 km penetrations,they can do that with ground missiles.The purpose of ALCMS is usually to use aircrafts mobility to penetrate deep into enemy territory,something which ground based systems can't do and hit deep targets in surgical strikes.

I thought these planes were going to be replace with Y-20s and stealth bombers to be built in the future. These bombers now days are not that useful.

Besides, I heard China don't want to use Russian engines for this, and since at this point, there are no plans of building one for this plane, the H6-K won't be a model widely used if used.

It's designed for long range strategic bombing and as CM launching platforms, perhaps they can even carry long range radar AA missiles guided by PLAAF J-10s/J-11B/J-20/J-31 ASEA radar (similar to role of B1B Lancer program in the late 90s). It would be effective against possible ASEAN Nations as diplomatic devices when things get sticky in the SCS region. I doubt it will an significant role in China primary defensive plan of Anti-denial/Anti-Access doctrine when confronting the USN.

Yes, it can achieve air superiority especially nearby neighbour. Why not? Even you do not agree.

If possible, H-6K can even send to carry out attack missile against African mercenary against Chinese interest. Do you think those African militants has much decent air defense or superior fighter jets?

Bad analogy as it goes against the PRC's official foreign policy of non-intervention. But it could be used as an standoff weapon platform against ASEAN Nation should the SCS dispute goes bad.

I thought these planes were going to be replace with Y-20s and stealth bombers to be built in the future. These bombers now days are not that useful.

Besides, I heard China don't want to use Russian engines for this, and since at this point, there are no plans of building one for this plane, the H6-K won't be a model widely used if used.

I find it quite useful. It's probably upgraded with new electronic suites and EW systems/Jamming devices which will provide effective defense against lower powers in the Asia pacific. Suppose war happened in.... let's say Philippines, the PLAAF will gain air Superiority over the Philippine Airspace and can operate with impunity. An stagetic bomber like the H6-K can be used to pound enemy positions at an stronger and more statuated rate than an conventional Multi-Role 4th generation fighter. It could carry more Anti-Radiation missile which makes an ideal aircraft for SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defense).

I find it quite useful. It's probably upgraded with new electronic suites and EW systems/Jamming devices which will provide effective defense against lower powers in the Asia pacific. Suppose war happened in.... let's say Philippines, the PLAAF will gain air Superiority over the Philippine Airspace and can operate with impunity. An stagetic bomber like the H6-K can be used to pound enemy positions at an stronger and more statuated rate than an conventional Multi-Role 4th generation fighter. It could carry more Anti-Radiation missile which makes an ideal aircraft for SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defense).

Not ideal platform for SEAD due to massive radar signature,its great for bomb truck role..to pound enemy to submission after fighters ahve gained air supremacy.Against philiphines it would certainly be intimidating weapon.

Not ideal platform for SEAD due to massive radar signature,its great for bomb truck role..to pound enemy to submission after fighters ahve gained air supremacy.Against philiphines it would certainly be intimidating weapon.

True, it has poor RCS, despite recent upgrades of the original H6 bomber. It could be useful for Close Air Support and counter-insurgency though!

It is better to have old strategic bomber, then no one. Russia also have Tu-95 ant that oldies are backbone of Russain strategic aviation.

With the modern cruise missiles, i think the modernized version of the old strategic bomber is good enough.

True, it has poor RCS, despite recent upgrades of the original H6 bomber. It could be useful for Close Air Support and counter-insurgency though!

The thing is, who is the insurgents?

Back
Top Bottom