What's new

China to name its first aircraft carrier 'Liaoning'

Congratulations to our Chinese allies. May the Chinese have more achievements to be proud of.

PakShah

辽宁/遼寧/Liaoning

300px-China_Liaoning.svg.png

450px-Liaoning_prfc_map.png

148,000 km²
43.75 Million people
$ 341 Billion GDP (2011)

They should name it by the province of Hei Long Jiang. Black Dragon !

Well, my province. What does it mean? Does China Navy want to build 30 of them?

China will name its first aircraft carrier "Liaoning" (遼寧) in honor of the province where it was retrofitted, the Southern Metropolitan Daily reported, citing an authoritative source.

The paper confirmed that officials decided to name the carrier to commend the province where it was renovated and repaired, thus Liaoning.

The carrier, often referred to by its original name Varyag, is a retired Soviet-era vessel that China bought from Ukraine in the late 1990s. The carrier was later harbored in Dalian, Liaoning Province, where it was retrofitted.

The vessel began sea trails in August 2011 and on September 3 received the side designation "16," prompting speculation that the vessel had completed basic trails and would soon be commissioned.

The carrier's name has been a topic of interest for some time, and many netizens opined that it was likely to be named after Shi Lang, a well-known general during the Qing Dynasty, or the former leader Mao Zedong, or even the capital city of Beijing.

However, according to Chinese naval designation regulations, vessels can only be named after provinces, cities, counties, mountains or lakes, and not people.

China will officially announce the name of the vessel after it has been commissioned.

China to name its first aircraft carrier 'Liaoning'- China.org.cn

(Thanks for Martian2 who is taking a temporary absent)

If we follow that logic, then F-35 should be renamed to Made in US, UK, Italy, Norway, Danmark etc. What a long name. :woot:

Imagine the radio broadcast^^
We have no problem with that. The F-35, just like the F-16, is intended to be multi-national in the first place.

After ten successful sea trials the Chinese carrier, to be named Liaoning 遼寧 when commissioned in the near future, is ready to stake her claim on the South China Sea, a domain that's rightfully hers.

any info available about when the carrier enters the South China Sea, and about its armament?

Good. Calling it the Shi Lang would have a been a little insensitive.

Anyway, congratulations, China. A more multipolar world is a good thing, but please at least stop propping up Kim Jong Un's dystopia.

Well, my province. What does it mean? Does China Navy want to build 30 of them?

Hey that's great and you should be proud. China is more pragmatic and less ambitious then the US who wants to lord over the world oceans. I think she wants just enough to protect her oversea commercial interests and citizens in times of trouble, and perhaps four is good enough to project that power as to deter potential vultures. You really don't want to go bankrupt over such endeavors.

any info available about when the carrier enters the South China Sea, and about its armament?

She just finished the 10th sea trail and everything is still a rumor but reliable rumor at that though. I put the SCS scenario on to needle you. :)

02139f91.jpg

d1d8211a.jpg

Two file picture of the Liaoning before the final paint job.

Good. Calling it the Shi Lang would have a been a little insensitive.

Anyway, congratulations, China. A more multipolar world is a good thing, but please at least stop propping up Kim Jong Un's dystopia.

China never had the intention to name it after Shi Lang, as Kanwa was notoriously known of fabricating all sort of BS, especially demonizing China's technology capability, since most of the viewers are some sinophobia westerners and anti-communist oversea Chinese.

The ship was modified in Dalian, Liaoning. So it make sense if it is to be named after the place of it's rebirth.

nah I don't think that is the reason at all, If it is named Liaoning, Just because it was refitted in Dalian, Then maybe the next 5 carriers will all have to be named Liaoning, I think it's just because most of our destroyers and frigates are named after places in the south.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom