What's new

China-Taiwan reunification

Second, restoration of traditional Chinese characters on the mainland is also important.

How long will it take for the Mainland to switch from simplified back to traditional? Will it actually consider switching or stay with simplified for the next couple of decades?

How long will it take for the Mainland to switch from simplified back to traditional? Will it actually consider switching or stay with simplified for the next couple of decades?

Going back to traditional may not be too great of an idea. Very few youngsters have exposure to traditional characters and "reeducating" them on the proper spelling is going to take a lot of time and money as well as cause a great deal of inconveniences.

Yes, Taiwanese technology is some of the best in the entire world, truly first-class. I would say that Taiwan has better technology than even Japan or other such nations.

If we could combine the Mainland's size and power, with Hong Kong's financial expertise, and Taiwanese technology... That would be an unstoppable combination. :cheers:

Agreed.:cheers: :china:

I would love to see a peaceful reunification in my lifetime as well. :cheers:

My surname (陳) is quite common in Hong Kong and Guangdong, but I don't know if it is that common in the rest of China.

That's right. I think all/most Chinese people overseas have an emotional connection to their ancestral homeland. My ancestors are from Guangdong, and they are mostly Hakka in origin.

Hakka people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My surname is 許 with parents from HK. Ancestral home is 東莞 Dongguan and 台山 Taishan. Sometimes people say that I look like Tony Leung/Donnie Yen/Li Ning :lol:

I don't think you can relate somebody's appearence only to their surname though. It must be surname plus ancestral home. Maybe you could 1000 years ago, but since then clans have migrated to other places in China and mixed with the locals. Also, the local non-Han people have taken Han surnames.

中国万岁-ProsperThroughCo-op;1118447 said:
Agreed.:cheers: :china:

My surname is 許 with parents from HK. Ancestral home is 東莞 Dongguan and 台山 Taishan. Sometimes people say that I look like Tony Leung/Donnie Yen/Li Ning :lol:

I don't think you can relate somebody's appearence only to their surname though. It must be surname plus ancestral home. Maybe you could 1000 years ago, but since then clans have migrated to other places in China and mixed with the locals. Also, the local non-Han people have taken Han surnames.

Do you mean the Tony Leung from the movie Infernal Affairs? :tup:

You're right, I don't think you can tell someone's appearance just by their surname. Also, you can get your appearance from your fathers side or your mothers side, or both. There are lots of factors involved.

Going back to traditional may not be too great of an idea. Very few youngsters have exposure to traditional characters and "reeducating" them on the proper spelling is going to take a lot of time and money as well as cause a great deal of inconveniences.

You're right, in terms of "efficiency" it's better for the PRC to stick to simplified characters. Simplified characters are much faster to write, and lead to improved rates of literacy.

I think the mainland will stay with simplified characters. It would be too much of a social shock to change the Mainland back to Traditional characters, and it would cost the economy severely to make such a transition.

Another interesting question is whether or not Hong Kong will stick with Traditional characters? A lot of Hong Kong people (including me) are learning to speak Mandarin for easier communication with the mainland, so maybe it's best to standardise simplified characters across the whole of China?

Well, I know traditional characters fairly well because I grew up playing Taiwanese computer games. I think if the Ministry of Culture on the mainland can ban World of Warcraft here thus force all young mainlanders to play on Taiwanese realms with Taiwan version client, that will greatly improve their understanding of traditional characters.

18672.gif

Regarding unification I feel both side is waiting for the right timing. China waiting for Taiwan to be connected economically and culturally and Taiwan waiting for China to become politically more transparent.

Lol, if Taiwan falls, the CPC is going roll back all the progress it has made, if any at all. The island is the only hurdle detering Beijing from another 1989...

Lol, if Taiwan falls, the CPC is going roll back all the progress it has made, if any at all. The island is the only hurdle detering Beijing from another 1989...

You first need protesters then you can roll in the tanks. 1989 hasn't been repeated not because Beijing's somehow deterred but because there's no mass protest on Tiananmen Square to be cracked down.

Reunification with Taiwan will be such a tremendous boost to CCP's legitimacy that no one will have the support to stage a major political protest in a decade.

Back
Top Bottom