What's new

China-Taiwan reunification

en-names-calligraphy-38463-37324.png

Though for the first character the left and right part should really be the same height.

May be it will be easier in this way for him:阿里

^^^ I just though he might want it as a picture to put it up somewhere

Yeah. Those two goals don't conflict, he might want it as a signature pic to show his name.

Another interesting question is whether or not Hong Kong will stick with Traditional characters? A lot of Hong Kong people (including me) are learning to speak Mandarin for easier communication with the mainland, so maybe it's best to standardise simplified characters across the whole of China?

Are there any other places besides HK and Taiwan that use traditional characters? And what about the link/importance of traditional characters to Chinese history & culture - will that be possible to overcome for places that have maintained the use of traditional characters?

I hate the people saying "traditional" is the "real" chinese, as if it has been there unchanged for thousands of years.

the only "real" chinese is the oracle bone script used by the Shang dynasty in 1500 BC.

everything else has changed continuously since then. simplification is nothing new. characters from the qin and han dynasties look nothing like they do now.

Are there any other places besides HK and Taiwan that use traditional characters? And what about the link/importance of traditional characters to Chinese history & culture - will that be possible to overcome for places that have maintained the use of traditional characters?

Yes, the Japanese people also use Traditional characters, they call it "Kanji" (literally Han characters). In order to read an average Japanese newspaper, you will need to know more than two thousand Han characters.

Kanji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (The Korean equivalent is called "Hanja").

So Han characters can often be used as a lingua franca in East Asia, for any society that is educated on Han characters.

Traditional characters have a cultural link to Ancient China, because you can read ancient literature that has been written thousands of years ago. Traditional characters have remained the same for a long time.

At the end of the day though, simplified is easier/faster to write, and improves literacy rates. So as long as we "store" the knowledge of Traditional characters somewhere (in history lessons for example), I wouldn't mind if all Chinese regions used only Simplified characters.

Last edited:
I hate the people saying "traditional" is the "real" chinese, as if it has been there unchanged for thousands of years.

Who exactly said that Traditional is the "real" Chinese?

I have read this whole thread and I don't think anyone has said that.

18672.gif

Regarding unification I feel both side is waiting for the right timing. China waiting for Taiwan to be connected economically and culturally and Taiwan waiting for China to become politically more transparent.

I like the last name "Yin" as well. :cheers:

I also agree with your sentiment regarding reunification.

Hong Kong should gain Universal suffrage by 2017, that should be a good time frame to think about the future arrangements. Even today, Hong Kong is just the same (actually even better) than it was before the handover. :tup:

We have complete autonomy over own own laws, the only things we had to give up were foreign relations and defence to the PRC, but I think Taiwan might even get a better deal than we did.

I think in the future, people will see Hong Kong as a good role model for the one-country, two-systems arrangement. Ask any Hong Kong person how they feel about the handover, and the chances are they will have a positive response. :)

Last edited:
I like the last name "Yin" as well. :cheers:

I also agree with your sentiment regarding reunification.

Hong Kong should gain Universal suffrage by 2017, that should be a good time frame to think about the future arrangements. Even today, Hong Kong is just the same (or even better) than it was before the handover. :tup:

We have complete autonomy over own own laws, the only things we had to give up were foreign relations and defence to the PRC, but I think Taiwan might even get a better deal than we did.

I think in the future, people will see Hong Kong as a good role model for the one-country, two-systems arrangement. Ask any Hong Kong person how they feel about the handover, and the chances are they will have a positive response. :)

Man, you guys make me feel like the last 1% of illiterate one from HK regarding Chinese languages, i have difficulties in simplify Chinese, terrible mandarin speaker, Chinese education equivelant to primary 5, but what the heck, hey i am still one proud Chinese.:yahoo:

Yeah, HK sure will set a perfect example for the world to see how successful "one country, two system" can be. I still recalled the hang over day, me and my friends crying in joy, since we all are born after the late eighties, so i assume our average life span is 76, we had a pretty good chance to witness the reunification of China and Taiwan.:smitten: hope for the best and keep my fingers cross.:partay:

Man, you guys make me feel like the last 1% of illiterate one from HK regarding Chinese languages, i have difficulties in simplify Chinese, terrible mandarin speaker, Chinese education equivelant to primary 5, but what the heck, hey i am still one proud Chinese.:yahoo:

Yeah, HK sure will set a perfect example for the world to see how successful "one country, two system" can be. I still recalled the hang over day, me and my friends crying in joy, since we all are born after the late eighties, so i assume our average life span is 76, we had a pretty good chance to witness the reunification of China and Taiwan.:smitten: hope for the best and keep my fingers cross.:partay:

As I've emphasized many times before it doesn't really matter whether you are fluent in mandarin or lived in the mainland your whole life. There are many in China who abandoned their culture/heritage and to me they are not as "Chinese" as many second or even third generation Chinese immigrants who I met on this forum. What really matters is how Chinese you are on the inside. :china:

I don't see it happening without war.Taiwan has been independent for too long to just unify with China again without any trouble and in any case i don't think Taiwan is worth a bloody war for China .At the end of the day Taiwan will be the bigger beneficiary if it merges back with Chin.

Last edited:

LOL it's OK, my spoken Mandarin is not that good either (although I'm quite good with simplified characters). I'm using "Rosetta Stone" software to improve it though, it's a fantastic tool to use. :cheers:

I also look forward to the eventual reunification of the Chinese civilization, and the official end of the civil war.

That will be a truly beautiful day, when all Chinese brothers and sisters can embrace the future together, and bring a new golden age for China. :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom