What's new

China summons Japanese envoy over Diaoyu incident

Brotherhood

Reaction score
China summons Japanese envoy over Diaoyu incident - People's Daily Online September 08, 2010

P201009080800172391549751.jpg

The Chinese fishing boat that was intercepted by Japanese patrol boats in waters off China's Diaoyu Islands on Tuesday. (China Daily/Reuters)

China on Tuesday summoned the Japanese envoy to protest Japan's interception of a Chinese fishing boat in waters off the Diaoyu Islands.

Vice-Foreign Minister Song Tao summoned Japanese ambassador to China Niwa Uichiro to "lodge solemn representations", the Xinhua News Agency reported.

Earlier in the day, two Japanese patrol boats collided with the Chinese trawler.

Song urged the Japanese patrol boats to stop their illegal interception of Chinese fishing boats on the East China Sea.

The protest came after a ministry spokeswoman expressed "grave concern" over the collision.

Jiang Yu, speaking at a regular news briefing, urged Japan to stop its so-called law enforcement in waters off the islands and refrain from taking any action that would threaten the security of Chinese fishing boats and their crew.

"We have lodged solemn representations with the Japanese side," Jiang said, adding, "we will closely follow the situation and reserve our right to take further action".

The Diaoyu Islands and its adjacent islets have been Chinese territory since ancient times, Jiang reiterated.

The incident occurred when three Japanese patrol boats stopped a Chinese trawler claiming it was operating illegally near the islands before ordering it to leave the area, according to Japan's Mainichi Daily News.

The Chinese trawler's bow hit the 1,349-ton Yonakuni's stern at around 9:15 am in waters some 12 km north-northwest of Huangweiyu islet, and again collided with another Japanese patrol boat, Mizuki, 40 minutes later, Mainichi Daily News reported, citing the Japan Coast Guard (JCG).

Nobody was hurt from either vessel, and no fuel leaks had been reported.

Six Japanese investigators boarded the Chinese ship after it stopped and questioned the crew, according to the newspaper.

The Chinese ship then left the area, a Japanese embassy official, who refused to be named, told China Daily.

But the Kyodo News Agency reported the JCG had announced an arrest warrant for the Chinese captain for what they described as disturbing law enforcement.

What actually happened remained sketchy, with Phoenix TV quoting Wu Tianzhu, the owner of the trawler as saying that his 37-meter vessel did not hit the Japanese patrol boats, which were much larger in size.

Some Chinese experts expressed concern over the impact of the incident on bilateral relations.

"The collision is an accident, but considering Japan's recent moves in waters near China, we should take the incident seriously," said Wang Ping, a researcher at the Institute of Japan Studies affiliated to the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

Disputes in the East China Sea between the two countries have attracted public attention recently.

In late August, Tokyo decided to "nationalize" 25 scattered islets next March, including the Diaoyu Islands, according to the Nikkei News.

Days before the decision, Tokyo and Washington announced a plan to hold a joint naval drill near Okinawa and other southern islands in December, Japan's Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

Wang said he believed that besides domestic political reasons, the attitude that Japan had been displaying recently could be in line with the US strategic planning on security.

"The US is challenging the existing strategic and mutually beneficial relationship between China and Japan, which is already lacking mutual trust," Wang said.

However, Liu Jiangyong, a senior scholar on Japan studies at Tsinghua University, said the incident should be treated calmly.

He said Japan is scheduled to release a new defense plan by the end of this year. The right wing in Japan needs tension between the two countries to justify their military requirements.

Wang Chenyan contributed to this story.

By Ma Liyao, China Daily

It's because of Indians like Jha that the country has become a football in the International arena.Everybody likes to kick it around knowing that response will not be forthcoming.I dont blame the chinese for their assertiveness/aggression/hegemony. And for the chinese here, I would like to point out how agressive china has been. Your policy has been bully the weaker(Vietnam,Mongolia,India) and negotiate with the stronger(Russia) and barking at Japan. If you dont understand what I mean, then look at your government's claim on the spratley islands. You even claim islands that are a few kilometers from vietnam coast and thousands from yours. Rational as always is "In ancient times it belonged to china". What a joke! What Japan did here was jolt you out of the dreams whereby you thought how far long your eyes can see, its your drawing room.

It's because of Indians like Jha that the country has become a football in the International arena.Everybody likes to kick it around knowing that response will not be forthcoming.I dont blame the chinese for their assertiveness/aggression/hegemony. And for the chinese here, I would like to point out how agressive china has been. Your policy has been bully the weaker(Vietnam,Mongolia,India) and negotiate with the stronger(Russia) and barking at Japan. If you dont understand what I mean, then look at your government's claim on the spratley islands. You even claim islands that are a few kilometers from vietnam coast and thousands from yours. Rational as always is "In ancient times it belonged to china". What a joke! What Japan did here was jolt you out of the dreams whereby you thought how far long your eyes can see, its your drawing room.

You talks like Vietnam isn't claiming islands far closer to say, Philippines coast than theirs. As I said in another thread, most of Vietnamese claim over the South China Sea is also history-based just as China's (they're essentially saying 'the French controlled those islands and we're colonized by France therefore those islands belong to us') , so if the Chinese claim is dubious, so is Vietnamese. They're really on no firmer grounds. Claims by other claimants are bit different though.

And what does the South China Sea dispute have to do with the Diaoyu island dispute?

It's because of Indians like Jha that the country has become a football in the International arena.Everybody likes to kick it around knowing that response will not be forthcoming..

Ha..here you go...Comparing patriotism ..are we..?

Whats the need to make every small thing a big issue. We dont have to play Eyeball to Eyeball every time. Seems you have forgotten the age old principle of the great Chanakya - Every thing must be done at the right time..

BTW You dont have to ridicule my love for India. I am as patriotic as you if not less. But i do think from head not from somewhere else.:wave:

Ha..here you go...Comparing patriotism ..are we..?

Whats the need to make every small thing a big issue. We dont have to play Eyeball to Eyeball every time. Seems you have forgotten the age old principle of the great Chanakya - Every thing must be done at the right time..

Yes "at the right time"..!! just like 1962 when we surrendered at the right time....isnt it ? and our misplaced sense of "pride" still says we did not surrender but "the chinese withdrew because they thought fighting was not feasible".....

btw I regret if the post sounded offensive to the chinese here....what i meant was china needs to be restrained.

japan needs land. it should and will come for china... This is just the beginning.

Wow, I know there are some members here view China with disdain, but "indian_reality" do you really think the Japanese patrol boats ramming into a chinese fishing boat is a way to restrain china (or "put china on a leash")? lol... you are just being childish.

If using warships to bully other countries' fishermen is a honourable deed and should be applauded, then how would you feel if someone did this to india? You can be rest assured that I wouldn't be clapping my hands with joy.

Wow, I know there are some members here view China with disdain, but "indian_reality" do you really think the Japanese patrol boats ramming into a chinese fishing boat is a way to restrain china (or "put china on a leash")? lol... you are just being childish.

If using warships to bully other countries' fishermen is a honourable deed and should be applauded, then how would you feel if someone did this to india? You can be rest assured that I wouldn't be clapping my hands with joy.

I think that instead of putting a "leash" on China we need to order a few for people who starts ranting without reading the article.

Back
Top Bottom