What's new

China Reported to Have Placed Order for 15,000 UAVs from Iran, Deliveries Underway

Middle East Monitor and Al-Monitor, two major online resources reporting on West Asian and North African affairs, have picked up the story.

These are both considered serious and reputable sources. The fact that they published the information means their editorial boards did not deem it to be plain obvious fake news or ostensible sub-par propaganda.

Link to MEMO article:
https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20230209-iran-to-supply-china-with-15000-drones-official-says/

Link to Al-Monitor article:

Interesting.

Last edited:
Why Chinese on this forum are behaving more and more arrogant??

Kids, why do you need to act like westerns ???

@beijingwalker is the best ✌️

I guess China is making good profit being a middle man

I dont see anybody that China can sell 15k Iranian UAVs to.

Russia can buy from Iran directly as they have done. How much money can China make by reselling those UAVs to others if thats the case ? How big risk do you think China will be taking for the small financial gain ?

Last edited:
I got the following info on Chinese website:

The media Al Monitor reported the so-called "China's import of Iranian drones". Although the media claims to report "fair and objective Middle East news", it is actually a Persian-language media headquartered in Washington, USA. The earliest source of this news was reported by a media headquartered in London, England, called "Iran International Television" that has nothing to do with Iran.

The Middle East Monitor that also reported is also located in London, UK.

Does this smells fishy ?

Last edited:
Because Iranian Drones are affordable and work great,,here is the list of countries that will be willing to buy Iranian Drones if offered by China so that they do not get sanctioned..The list includes US also..:azn:
flags-of-members-countries-of-the-united-vector-clipart_csp67559903.jpg

No offense to the Iranian members here but I find this news a bit ludicrous. I think both sides are a bit emotional right now, so let’s break it down in a logical fashion.

For the drone itself:
The fuselage — similar to Harpy, which China a has acquired in the 90s.
Motor — MD-550 engine, which based on Limbach, now a Chinese company.
Electronics — off the shelf components by Western firms or domestic replicas, which are available in exponentially larger quantities in China.
Economy of scale — don’t make me laugh.

Performance wise, while the 136 series helped turn the tide for Russia, individually did it really perform any more impressively than the Mugin-5? Both are slow, loud, fly low and are difficult to spot on radar. But Mugin-5 is similarly battle tested, scoring direct hits on the Black Sea Fleet head quarters despite efforts by air defense to down them. Cost wise the Mugin 5 is even cheaper, with the fuselage at 9500 USD and the whole package probably under 20K USD. You don’t see PLA going on a massive shopping spree on Aliexpress do you?

Of course there is the argument that Russia has acquired large numbers of Iranian suicide/attack drones so it isn’t impossible for China. Let’s analyze the situation here. I think there are three reasons that Russia went for it.

1) Iranian drones are very effective weapons and more importantly, very cost effective guided munition. This allows the Russians to launch precision strikes without depleting guided munitions stock.
2) Russia has not focused on developing their drone industry.
3) The Russians are in the middle of a war and need as many weapons as possible.

Points 2 and 3 do not apply to China at all, and I can make a case that China has a much larger stockpile of guided weapons. The situation for Russian import of Iranian drones doesn’t really apply to China.

Last edited:
No offense to the Iranian members here but I find this news a bit ludicrous. I think both sides are a bit emotional right now, so let’s break it down in a logical fashion.

For the drone itself:
The fuselage — similar to Harpy, which China a has acquired in the 90s.
Motor — MD-550 engine, which based on Limbach, now a Chinese company.
Electronics — off the shelf components by Western firms or domestic replicas, which are available in exponentially larger quantities in China.
Economy of scale — don’t make me laugh.

Performance wise, while the 136 series helped turn the tide for Russia, individually did it really perform any more impressively than the Mugin-5? Both are slow, loud, fly low and are difficult to spot on radar. But Mugin-5 is similarly battle tested, scoring direct hits on the Black Sea Fleet head quarters despite efforts by air defense to down them. You don’t see PLA going on a massive shopping spree on Aliexpress do you?

Of course there is the argument that Russia has acquired large numbers of Iranian suicide/attack drones so it isn’t impossible for China. Let’s analyze the situation here. I think there are three reasons that Russia went for it.

1) Iranian drones are very effective weapons and more importantly, very cost effective guided munition. This allows the Russians to launch precision strikes without depleting guided munitions stock.
2) Russia has not focused on developing their drone industry.
3) The Russians are in the middle of a war and need as many weapons as possible.

Points 2 and 3 do not apply to China at all, and I can make a case that China has a much larger stockpile of guided weapons. The situation for Russian import of Iranian drones doesn’t really apply to China.
My friend..It is simple "economics 101"..No one is claiming that China needs these drones for her own use..China has a very advanced Drone tech of her own.

China Buys drones from Iran and sells the drone to any one who wants that drone (apparently the are many who want these Drones but can not buy direct from Iran).. China being a true economics power house makes a good profit..Iran is happy to sell her drone and the customer is now happy to have his drone with no US sanctions imposed on them..ALL are HAPPY..WIN_WIN_WIN for all three.

My friend..It is simple "economics 101"..No one is claiming that China needs these drones for her own use..China has a very advanced Drone tech of her own.

China Buys drones from Iran and sells the drone to any one who wants that drone (apparently the are many who want these Drones but can not buy direct from Iran).. China being a true economics power house makes a good profit..Iran is happy to sell her drone and the customer is now happy to have his drone with no US sanctions imposed on them..ALL are HAPPY..WIN_WIN_WIN for all three.
How much can China make by reselling the UAVs to others ? What big risk would China be taking with the US and West for small financial gains ? Also, I cant find possible customers to absorb 15k UAVs now, and how long will take Iran to produce and deliver the total 15k UAVs ? All these facts point to not very plausible of the deal.

How much can China make by reselling the UAVs to others ? What big risk would China be taking with the US and West for small financial gains ? Also, I cant find possible customers to absorb 15k UAVs now, and how long will take Iran to produce and deliver the total 15k UAVs ? All these facts point to not very plausible of the deal.
I do not know the details or if this news is legitimate..but I can tell you about Iran's medical equipment because I heared it first hand myself from a medical equipment rep in Canada..Iranian medical equipment are sold all over the world after being re-branded to show "made in xxx"..country the xxx usually an ex east European countries...why..because they are high quality and AFFORDABE...economics always wins over stupid politics of sanctions.

Back
Top Bottom