What's new

China rapidly narrows technology gap with S. Korea

So overall Korean technology is still ahead than that of China?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
According to this article, after Japan and the U.S, China has become the third country in the world which holds the patent for LED energy-saving lighting. The team who made the breakthrough has just won 2015 China National Technology Discovery Rewards(First Class).

So I guess this is another field in the civil sector that China is ahead of South Korea.

中国攻破LED照明核心技术,打破日美垄断LED技术局面

----南昌大学硅衬底项目获国家技术发明奖一等奖

在2015年度国家科学技术奖励大会上,以南昌大学江风益团队为主要研发单位的“硅衬底高光效GaN基蓝色发光二极管”项目荣获国家技术发明一等奖。南昌大学江风益教授作为项目第一完成人上台接受习近平主席的颁奖。

161326ciit2pheh7zihp3q.jpg

江风益教授研发团队

中国是继日美之后第三个掌握蓝光LED自主知识产权技术的国家

世界上第一支LED诞生于1962年,正式作为照明光源,日本在1993年取得突破,1995年,美国成功研发碳化硅衬底GaN基蓝光LED技术,获得2003年美国总统技术发明奖。这项蓝宝石衬底GaN基蓝光LED技术获得2014年诺贝尔物理学奖,日本科学家赤崎勇、天野浩和美籍日裔科学家中村修二共同获得此项殊荣。

1996年,南昌大学江 风益教授经过三年时间的技术跟踪,决定带领团队转向自主核心技术的研发,拉开了从事GaN蓝光LED研究、自主创造光明“中国芯”的序幕。历经19年的科 研攻关,在LED照明技术上取得突破性成果,成功研发出硅衬底高光效GaN基蓝色发光二极管,并在市场应用上取得明显经济效益和社会效益,走出了一条“硅 基发光,中国创造”的新路线。

硅衬底高光效GaN基蓝色发光二极管的诞生,使中国成为世界上继日美之后第三个掌握蓝光LED自主知识产权技术的国家。“中国芯”与日美技术形成全球三足鼎力之势,打破了日本蓝宝石衬底、美国碳化硅衬底长期垄断国际LED照明核心技术的局面。

具有节能环保功能的半导体(LED)照明灯替代白炽灯与日光灯,引发了照明工业的一场革命。在相同照明效果下,半导体照明(LED)比传统光源节能40%—90%,寿命比传统光源长10倍以上,具有强大的节能效益和经济效益。

硅衬底蓝光LED成长记

20160109100715488.jpg

硅衬底

20160109100726745.jpg

研究团队要在这个衬底上加上特有的LED材料,让他发光。

20160109100726645.jpg

硅衬底被放进这台机器中,在专门设定的温度和气体中,表面就“生长”出特有的LED材料了。

20160109100726768.jpg

生长出特有材料的硅衬底,肉眼看上去没有区别,但在仅有头发丝三分之一的厚度上已经形成了几十层特有的膜。

20160109100726546.jpg

通电后,LED材料上的一个小方块发出了耀眼的蓝光,而耗能仅有普通白炽灯的几十分之一。经过加工分割以后,硅衬底LED材料被分隔成了无数个小方块,这些小方块再被制造成照明产品,就是我们常见和常用的LED照明灯具了。

In your eyes, maybe OLED is important, but it is not for China. The priority for China right now is military technology, not civil. Whereas South Koran is not facing the challenge China is facing now, so It can concentrate all its resources to the civil technologies. Still it does have patent of its own for LED lighting,can you explain?

Hope you guys can distinguish between old LCD and new frontier OLED.

At the moment nobody can make 110 inch OLED display.

The largest is 77 inch by LG (Korea).

BOE china the largest is 65 inch.

:coffee: I think the choice made by the manufacturers e.g Sharp, Samsung, etc opting for SUHD and LG choice of OLED is more based on price than the technology itself. All these companies have the necessary screen technology.

:happy: If there is a demand for says 100" OLED TV, I personally think these TV manufacturers will be racing to manufacture them. But the mass market is also driven by price consideration.

Right now, China's BOE 82" with their 10K resolution should made the LG 4K 77" lame by comparison in term of resolution (It should be great for VR) that is until Samsung R&D comes out with their 12K TV.

So at this moment IMO China BOE is ahead of the game.

:laugh: It is already 6 month since BOE came out with their 82" 10K resolution TV and we are still waiting for Samsung to come out with their 12K resolution TV. (Earlier Samsung announced that they are skipping the 8K and jumping straight into 12K) We will wait and see. Looks like the Japanese Manufacturers are reduced to mere spectator at this point of time.

:coffee: I think the choice made by the manufacturers e.g Sharp, Samsung, etc opting for SUHD and LG choice of OLED is more based on price than the technology itself. All these companies have the necessary screen technology.

:happy: If there is a demand for says 100" OLED TV, I personally think these TV manufacturers will be racing to manufacture them. But the mass market is also driven by price consideration.

Right now, China's BOE 82" with their 10K resolution should made the LG 4K 77" lame by comparison in term of resolution (It should be great for VR) that is until Samsung R&D comes out with their 12K TV.

So at this moment IMO China BOE is ahead of the game.

:laugh: It is already 6 month since BOE came out with their 82" 10K resolution TV and we are still waiting for Samsung to come out with their 12K resolution TV. (Earlier Samsung announced that they are skipping the 8K and jumping straight into 12K) We will wait and see. Looks like the Japanese Manufacturers are reduced to mere spectator at this point of time.

BOE and CSOT already enter the race of the large display including OLED in spite of high price. The price will decrease when the manufacturing process become matured.

Sorry the BOE 82" is LCD, not OLED.
BOE is still struggling with OLED thats why chinese maker still buy from LG.

In your eyes, maybe OLED is important, but it is not for China. The priority for China right now is military technology, not civil. Whereas South Koran is not facing the challenge China is facing now, so It can concentrate all its resources to the civil technologies. Still it does have patent of its own for LED lighting,can you explain?

Not really. It is not about importance at all. It is simply about fact. :)

BOE and CSOT already enter the race of the large display including OLED in spite of high price. The price will decrease when the manufacturing process become matured.

Sorry the BOE 82" is LCD, not OLED.
BOE is still struggling with OLED thats why chinese maker still buy from LG.

:laugh: I have both Samsung SUHD as well LG OLED TV in my house. You may not believe it IMO I believe the images on my Samsung SUHD TV appears to be better than that of my LG OLED TV.

So frankly I do not know what you are talking about.

As they says seeing is believing.

Although I have not view a BOE TV before and it may not be OLED as you says, so what?

But based on the information given, the 12K resolution technology should definitely beat the LG older 4K resolution OLED TV by a mile.

:laugh: I have both Samsung SUHD as well LG OLED TV in my house. You may not believe it IMO I believe the images on my Samsung SUHD TV appears to be better than that of my LG OLED TV.

So frankly I do not know what you are talking about.

As they says seeing is believing.

Although I have not view a BOE TV before and it may not be OLED as you says, so what?

But based on the information given, the 12K resolution technology should definitely beat the LG older 4K resolution OLED TV by a mile.

Who has 12K now??

Korea is developing 11K - better than what BOE currently has.
Samsung is developing an 11k 'super-resolution' display TV screen | Daily Mail Online

OLED excel in producing deeper blacks and a wider gamut array than LCD. 8K, 10K, etc only talk about resolution.
Why Is OLED Different and What Makes It So Great?

So resolution and color are different things.

It is only about time to come up with OLED 8K or 11K or 12K. Then it will combine color and resolution.

Who has 12K now??

Korea is developing 11K - better than what BOE currently has.
Samsung is developing an 11k 'super-resolution' display TV screen | Daily Mail Online

OLED excel in producing deeper blacks and a wider gamut array than LCD. 8K, 10K, etc only talk about resolution.
Why Is OLED Different and What Makes It So Great?

So resolution and color are different things.

It is only about time to come up with OLED 8K or 11K or 12K. Then it will combine color and resolution.

:laugh: Yes. But already has and developing is two different matter. Has means BOE is ahead at this point of time.

Frankly as I say before I have not view a BOE 12K TV and I bet neither have you, so claim that the color OLED is superior to that of SUHD is pure speculation and presumption.

I assure you based on my experience, if there is any difference it is so slight, you would not notice it. But IMO I prefer my Samsung and I believe the Samsung Nano Crystal Technology is superior to that of the LG.

So until Samsung developed their 11K or 12K, the winner of this technology is obvious at this point of time.

:laugh: Yes. But already has and developing is two different matter. Has means BOE is ahead at this point of time.

Frankly as I say before I have not view a BOE 12K TV and I bet neither have you, so claim that the color OLED is superior to that of SUHD is pure speculation and presumption.

I assure you based on my experience, if there is any difference it is so slight, you would not notice it. But IMO I prefer my Samsung and I believe the Samsung Nano Crystal Technology is superior to that of the LG.

So until Samsung developed their 11K or 12K, the winner of this technology is obvious at this point of time.

Well that is your personal preference.

If you have not seen BOE 12K TV, then how do you know BOE already has 12K? could you prove it?

Well that is your personal preference.

If you have not seen BOE 12K TV, then how do you know BOE already has 12K? could you prove it?

:laugh: LOL That is an honest typo mistake. Don't dwell on it.

I mean BOE 10K technology TV which is way ahead of LG 4K technology TV. That is until Samsung released their 11K.

Samsung and LG license OLED technology from America's Universal Display Company (UDC)

To set the record straight, Samsung and LG are licensing OLED technology from America's Universal Display Company. Samsung and LG are NOT using South Korean technology. They pay a license fee for American technology.

America's Universal Display Corporation holds 2,000 OLED USPTO patents. Samsung and LG are both mere licensees of American UDC OLED technology.
----------

Universal Display Corporation (UDC) | OLED-Info

"UDC lists Samsung, CMEL, LG, Pioneer, Panasonic Idemitsu OLED lighting and Konica Minolta as its licensees."

Ll2mEL4.jpg

----------

Universal Display Corporation Issues Its 2,000th OLED Patent - LEDinside

S8BTuAA.jpg

----------

Universal Display Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jIoX3Rd.jpg

Last edited:
You're continuing to humiliate yourself in front of everyone. I asked for proof and you cannot give me a single reason why Korean OLED is superior to Chinese OLED. You ramble about quality of Korean OLED but cannot show me how it's of higher quality.

You STILL cannot prove that Korean OLED is superior to Chinese OLED. All you do is change the subject about rockets and Skyworth buying some Korean OLED. Before you said Korea is ahead in 13 industries and you couldn't prove any of it and now trying to save face and saying it's now only 6 industries :lol:

Buddy, you're not fooling anyone here. Martian and J20blackdragon have made you into a laughing stock with your laughable statements without backing it up. When you lose the argument, you change the subject and try to weasel out when we call you out.

Now, YOU prove to me why Korean OLED technology is superior to Chinese OLED technology.

Go on.

Beating Samsung, LG
Chinese Company Releases World’s First 110 In. Curved UHD TV

TCL’s 110 inch curved UHD TV.

Chinese TV manufacturer TCL surprised the global electronics industry by introducing the world’s biggest 110 inch curved UHD TV at IFA 2014, the electronics exposition currently being held in Berlin, Germany. The largest screens of Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics are only 105 inches, so this Chinese company beat them to 110 inches.

Chinese companies TCL and Hisense also revealed quantum dot TVs at this IFA exhibition, which are considered to be the next generation of TV technology with its remarkably higher definition than current TVs, putting them even further ahead of Korean companies.

TCL earned two titles of “World’s Biggest” and “World’s First” through its 110 inch UHD TV and quantum dot TV introduced at this IFA. Chinese companies, which previously have been following the market leaders and manufacturing budget products so far, are showing the technological capability to potentially dominate the global market.

Quantum dots, which emit light when excited by electricity, replace light emitting diodes (LEDs) in these new TVs. Quantum dot TVs are much clearer and lighter than the current liquid crystal display (LCD) TVs, and production costs are lower than organic light emitting diode (OLED) TVs. This is why TV manufacturers are focusing on the commercialization of quantum dot TVs.

The market understands that TCL introduced its quantum dot TVs at IFA before officially launching them in the market, not with the purpose of showing off its technological capabilities in this situation. A TCL employee said, “We plan to release a 55 inch quantum dot TV at the price of around 2,000 euros [US$2,585] next year.” The price is similar to a same-sized UHD TV. Another Chinese TV company Hisense introduced a quantum dot TV as well under the name “ULED TV.”

This preemptive attack by TCL was totally unexpected in the market, as Samsung and LG which are considered to have the best TV technologies in the world were assumed to be releasing quantum dot TVs first. Samsung and LG, the world’s number one and two, did not. A Samsung Electronics representative claimed, “We possess the technologies for quantum dot TVs, but it is too early to introduce in public.” In fact, Korean companies are very cautious to introduce advanced products at major expositions recently, as they are worried about technology spill to Chinese companies.

However, employees of Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics visited the booths of Chinese companies to compare display definitions and to take pictures of their products. A high-ranking official in the Korean electronics market said, “Only two years ago, technological skills of Chinese companies were almost a year behind the global market leaders. This gap was narrowed down to six months last year. But looking at IFA this year, I see no differences anymore.”

So far in terms of definition and materials, the global TV market has been led by Samsung and LG of Korea and Sony of Japan. Sony was the first to ignite the definition competition by introducing the world’s first UHD TV. Samsung and LG are dominating the UHD TV market. Samsung and LG are number one and two, respectively, in market share in the global TV industry.

I'm not an expert in OLED tech, but I think the "quality" rhetoric is probably just brand perception. We can't assume that engineers from Korea are better than engineers from China given that Tsinghua ranks higher than KAIST, even if we compare technology and engineering faculties.

QS World University Rankings® 2015/16 | Top Universities

So design aside, it just comes down to manufacturing. Doesn't the actual manufacturing occur in China (or another country) anyway, whether Korean or Chinese?

I think people are just butthurt that their position is being challenged.

Samsung and LG license OLED technology from America's Universal Display Company (UDC)

To set the record straight, Samsung and LG are licensing OLED technology from America's Universal Display Company. Samsung and LG are NOT using South Korean technology. They pay a license fee for American technology.

America's Universal Display Corporation holds 2,000 OLED USPTO patents. Samsung and LG are both mere licensees of American UDC OLED technology.
----------

Universal Display Corporation (UDC) | OLED-Info

"UDC lists Samsung, CMEL, LG, Pioneer, Panasonic Idemitsu OLED lighting and Konica Minolta as its licensees."

Ll2mEL4.jpg

----------

Universal Display Corporation Issues Its 2,000th OLED Patent - LEDinside

S8BTuAA.jpg

----------

Universal Display Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jIoX3Rd.jpg

Martian. Obviously you dont have clue about technology mastery.

LG Display Co., Ltd. [NYSE: LPL, KRX: 034220] is the world's leading innovator of display technologies including thin-film transistor liquid crystal displays (TFT-LCD), OLEDs and flexible displays.
Universal Display Corporation - Universal Display and LG Display Announce Entry into Long-Term OLED Patent License and Supplemental Material Purchase Agreements

If you say whole OLED technology is owned by UDC, then why Samsung and LG was disputing over the OLED patents?
LG and Samsung agree to settle OLED and LCD patent disputes with words, not lawyers | The Verge
Samsung Sues LG Over OLED Patents | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I believe you wont be able to answer my question again. :laugh:

By your logic, you cant mention Bullet Train as one of China's technology mastery since bullet train is not invented by China. Same like rocket, supercomputer, J-20, etc, the things that you chinese like to brag when claiming about china technology superiority, they are not invented by China.

By your logic, you cant mention Bullet Train as one of China's technology mastery since bullet train is not invented by China. Same like rocket, supercomputer, J-20, etc, the things that you chinese like to brag when claiming about china technology superiority, they are not invented by China.
Who invented rocket then?

Back
Top Bottom