What's new

China not 'bad neighbour', says Japan

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
China not 'bad neighbour', says Japan

Japan's foreign minister on Sunday rejected a claim that China is a bad neighbour as Tokyo tried to put a lid on anti- Beijing sentiment, appearing keen to rebuild ties after a bruising territorial row.

Speaking a day after nationalists rallied against China and a senior ruling-party politician denounced Beijing, foreign minister Seiji Maehara insisted that the two countries were good neighbours.

The remarks were in response to and downplayed reported comments by Yukio Edano, deputy secretary-general of the ruling Democratic Party of Japan.

Addressing a meeting north of Tokyo, Edano called China "a bad neighbour" and said it was impossible for Japan to build "mutually beneficial" ties with the nation, according to Japanese media reports. "I believe Japan and China should seek a path for co-existence and co-prosperity as neighbours," he said.

China not 'bad neighbour', says Japan - The Times of India

Do the Chinese think Japan is a bad neighbor? :woot:

Well for my personal opinion, I don't really mind. The only real problem in recent times is the visits to the Yasukuni shrine, but those have stopped.

I don't see any real threat from them... given that their economy has been "stagnant" for two decades, and that they have a "pacifist constitution", which prevents them from even making the threat of military action.

Of course a lot of Chinese people have traditionally held a deep seated dislike of Japan due to WW2. The modern generation however is mostly pragmatic, and for the most part, they aren't that bothered.

One thing that unites all Chinese people though, is anger at Japanese war crimes during WW2. Trying to apologize for those war crimes is one of the biggest mistakes you can make, if you're trying to be friendly with a Chinese person.

Last edited:
China And Japan Should Rebuild Ties Once Again

China and Japan should rebuild their recently broken ties once again, as they are considered Asia’s major economic powers. These two major economic power should come together for the sake of global economic rebuilding. Asia is considered as the biggest economy growing region in the world, with most of the major economic powers outside the American continent are located in Asia.

China-And-Japan-Ties.jpg

China-Japan relations were hampered recently after a Chinese Fishing Trawler captain was arrested in the Japanese region for trespassing. If there is a need to develop Asia’s economy further more, then it should be noted that the economic, strategic and developmental relations between China and Japan needs to resume.

Japan released that Captain and the boat, and dropped the charges against him. In addition to this Japan also stated that it has thought over the ties of China and Japan, and as a reason to this they have released the captain. There are no doubts indeed that China and Japan will be playing important roles in the coming future, especially stabilizing the bruised economy of the west. So we hope that they rebuild those broke relations by keeping the past behind.

China And Japan Should Rebuild Ties Once Again | Asia Bizz

Not a bad neighbour but a neighbour you can never trust. Japan is a docile when you are strong but it becomes a vulture when you are weak.

Surveys showed Chinese actually having a friendlier attitude to Japan than the other way round, despite what all those Western reports on Chinese nationalism said.

Not difficult to beat 22% favourable rating from poll...

Not a bad neighbour but a neighbour you can never trust. Japan is a docile when you are strong but it becomes a vulture when you are weak.

Not difficult to beat 22% favourable rating from poll...

Can't help but wonder why they hate us so much. We were the victims, not them.

China and Japan share a lot culture.

Japan might be the closest with China in culture, but base on History/Economic/Political aspect, China and Japan is more likely to be a competitor, if not described as enemy. Maybe a they are good neighbor but they are someone must be defeated for the interest of China.

In history aspect, Japan alwayse want to access the mainland and expanse their contry, but blocked by China for thousand year. The first war between China and Japan is in Tang dynasty (1200 years ago)

In economic aspect, Made in China vs Made in Japan. Made in Japan still win in quality and prime market, but China is working on it. And already have some effort. In recent island thing, China and Janpan fighting for oil /nature gas.

In political aspect, Japan is USA tier 1 ally, and China is more like a competitor if we do not call it as enemy.

That's mostly historical. I sincerely believe that mostly the older generations hold the view that Japanese are vulture like. And same with Japan.

Japanese views of China becoming more positive | Japan Probe

You'll find anti-Japanese feeling will vary by region. My home province Hebei was hard hit by Japanese anti-guerrilla campaigns (thus atrocities against civilians). It was the first province to be conquered coming out of Manchuko and it was the operating area of the Eighth route army. (Shanxi-Chahaer-Hebei Military Area)

The Eighth Route Army (simplified Chinese: 八路军; traditional Chinese: 八路軍; pinyin: bālù-jūn) was the larger of the two major Chinese communist forces that formed a unit of the National Revolutionary Army of the Republic of China which fought the Japanese from 1937 to 1945. In contrast to most of the National Revolutionary Army, it was controlled by the Communist Party of China and not the ruling Kuomintang. The Eighth Route Army was one of the main military forces of the Communist Party of China, active during the Chinese Civil War and the Second Sino-Japanese War.

You'll not find someone from Hebei whose very fond of the Japanese. I am a ultra-liberal compared to my family's older generation.

Fear of revenge I think, is the biggest factor.

I don't think revenge will actually happened. IMO, Japan fear about self-existence from culture point of view.

Japan copy chinese culture from long long time ago, and finally in 16th centry they become a unit country and success distinguish them self from China's shadow and develop own culture. And then in19 centry they start claim they are the royal child of ancient china, and state the current china already lost the spirit. Now as PRC revital the chinese as a nation. the more Japan open arm, the faster they will lost themself. Same happened in Korean/Taiwan/Hongkong

Last edited:
In Japan society, there alwayse a concern about whether they should abondon themself from asia and mentally join eupore or distinguish themself from european and take the leadership of asia. Such idea has been debate over and over again from 1920s.

China in chinese mean centre kingdom, the biggest ambition of Japan is crown themself with such title. In another work, they want to become the China. WW2 is the ultimate try for Japan. During WW2 Japan claim they will biuld developed east asia country and bring the benefit to all.

In Japanese invasions of Korea (1592–1598), the ultimate goal of Toyotomi Hideyoshi is relocate their capital to Beijing(current capital city for PRC, 2008 olympic)

Can't help but wonder why they hate us so much. We were the victims, not them.

It's just the wealth factor. People view India more negatively in the West than even China, despite its authoritarian nature. Japan preceives you guys the same way we do, as its per capita income rivals ours.

Fascist, racist, communist, or what not, at the end of the day, preception is all about the $.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom