What's new

China Makes Cheap Electric Cars; Why Can’t Americans Buy Them? “[The Chinese have] reached a point of manufacturing cars efficiently like phones"

No one markets it, it's just part of the title of the article, and the article is more about why Americans can't buy them, not how cheap they are, actually on the opposite, in the article the author says they are not cheap in US.

they aren't selling in the US yet is the issue not that people can't buy them. Both China and the US have high tariffs on each others cars.

Plus you can't buy a snowmobile in Zimbabwe if they don't offer it for sale.

No reason why Chinese EV makers cannot succeed if :
1) they pass the safety & reliability tests in the US
2) Xi and gang promise and prove they won't do what they did to Alibaba/Ant - After-sales service and warranty require stable businesses
3) Prove the makers adhere to decent human right and labour right regime

Simple.

No reason why Chinese EV makers cannot succeed if :
1) they pass the safety & reliability tests in the US
2) Xi and gang promise and prove they won't do what they did to Alibaba/Ant - After-sales service and warranty require stable businesses
3) Prove the makers adhere to decent human right and labour right regime

Simple.
Ultra nonsense.

Because it's like Jeremy Clarkson said when it come to cars, "Cheap" is not a strength, I mean, if I can choose, I would choose comfortable, functionality, safety before cheap. Why would I want to buy a $12,000 EV from China when I can afford a $38,000 Tesla.

It's not the fact that I am saying Chinese EV are any worse than other, but simply the headline of being cheap is not as big of a decision-making factor in the West than in China. I mean I would buy a Chinese EV if I test driven it and it gets better than a Korean or German EV, I wouldn't care if that EV is $20,000 or $200,000, but I wouldn't buy them simply because it was cheap.
Wonder what is ncap rating on bargainbin evs?

1688941575786.png

1688941612578.png

why, you don't think we should ensure cars are safe reliable and serviceable ? You are proving why people associate shoddy quality to your products
Yeah, the quality of your products are like cow dungs, nothing else.

Well, again, the same argument for you (the same one I raised to Beijing here)

If you are a marketing directive for a car company, you are tasked with marketing a product. And there are 2 group of people you are targeting.

1.) Middle Class that can easily afford said product.
2.) Middle Class that cannot afford said product but want to take advantage on what you are offering but cannot afford any brand else.

Now, bear in mind, in this market. Majority of people can afford said product easily (Again, even a restaurant worker here are earning about 65,000-70,000 a year and a Tesla is only cost around $60,000) Now, tell me which group would you market on?

The problem is not whether or not the other side have a bigger price, it wouldn't be a matter if people can afford such price, the problem is the market that is entrenched with other brand that a normal person can easily afford. Now, going back to what I said, I am not saying nobody is going to buy Chinese car, I am saying if people want to buy one, that car would need to perform better than other brand because we can choose, again, a waiter can choose whether or not he or she wanted to buy a Tesla or saving $12000 and choose an inferior product and buy a BYD Atto 3. The problem is, while there will be such case where that particular person will choose a BYD in order to save money, it is unlikely that this is the trend, and then we are talking about a waiter, which is quite low on the totem pole.

Which going back to my main point, China can surely dominate the car market here in the west, they need to produce real products that is better than their competitor, say EV, for example, Chinese EV needs to have longer range than the other brand, quicker than the other brand, offering more driver-assist tech than the other brand, have less maintenance than the other brand, have more safety feature than the other brand and etc. It wouldn't necessarily need to cheaper than the other brand, of course it is a plus if they were, but if you are a cars salesman and you try to sell a normal middle class dude here a car, and your pitch is "This car is $12,000 cheaper" that guy you are trying to making a sale to will most likely ask "What else it was better than the other brand?"

And then this is ON TOP of brand biases (ie Chinese brand are inferior) and also product biases (people perfer ICE car than EV).
Clearly, you live in high posh areas hence you haven't come across with majority of people that are living below the minimum wage and need affordable cars with least maintenance that ensures upkeep is a lot cheaper as possible which was doable with Honda and Toyota are now impossible to afford with higher markup with crazy adds-on and higher interest rates.

That is where Hyundai and Kia came to the rescue in the past are now being pricier to afford with reliability concerns.

Chinese brands are next possible replacement for majority of people that lives below the minimum wage looking for affordable cars with the least maintenance that has lower upkeep in the long run.

I don't know where you live but majority of people especially in North America will be pleased with cheaper electric vehicles from Chinese that translates lower upkeep in the long runs.

Considering the state of the electrical grid in many nations in the global south, what hybrid products does China have for nations with GDP per capita under $3000?

If Chinese brands can be seen as reliable enough and replace decades old European and Japanese cars, they can capture markets while they build up their economies, the way many customers are loyal to Toyota.

perhaps a car like one of the following might sell in the Pakistani market for the middle class, if it was an EV/Hybrid due electricity unreliability.

Last edited:
Wonder what is ncap rating on bargainbin evs?
I think they scored around 4 to 5 star in most NCAP rating, but then so did most car, I mean unless the car is really crap, otherwise you would normally get 4 to 5 star.

Clearly, you live in high posh areas hence you haven't come across with majority of people that are living below the minimum wage and need affordable cars with least maintenance that ensures upkeep is a lot cheaper as possible which was doable with Honda and Toyota are now impossible to afford with higher markup with crazy adds-on and higher interest rates.

That is where Hyundai and Kia came to the rescue in the past are now being pricier to afford with reliability concerns.

Chinese brands are next possible replacement for majority of people that lives below the minimum wage looking for affordable cars with the least maintenance that has lower upkeep in the long run.

I don't know where you live but majority of people especially in North America will be pleased with cheaper electric vehicles from Chinese that translates lower upkeep in the long runs.
I lived in Blacktown. The slum, or murder central of Sydney.

And you can't go below "minimum wage" that's illegal, and Waiter are usually at minimum rate. You are talking about $22-$25 an hour, . That's $50,000 a year basic working 38 hours a week, then you have weekend penalty rate (usually paying 50% more) and overtime, Even a waiter here earn around 60-65K easy

From 1 July 2023:

• the National Minimum Wage increased to $882.80 per week or $23.23 per hour
  • award minimum wages increase by 5.75%.

Again, you have completely ignored my point, as I said, most people will buy the stuff that suit them best IF THEY CAN AFFORD IT. You don't market to the fringe people who can only afford those cars. No one with a sane mind will target those fringe people who can barely afford those items when they can't really afford it. When most people can afford those stuff, they would buy them because they are better option, and in most case, better option means a better car than the other. Most people in the west will not go bottom-line if they can afford it, sure such people exist, but this is not really a big group.

Last edited:
Considering the state of the electrical grid in many nations in the global south, what hybrid products does China have for nations with GDP per capita under $3000?

If Chinese brands can be seen as reliable enough and replace decades old European and Japanese cars, they can capture markets while they build up their economies, the way many customers are loyal to Toyota.

perhaps a car like one of the following might sell in the Pakistani market for the middle class, if it was an EV/Hybrid due electricity unreliability.
The problem for developing nation or Global South is that they don't have enough resource to support EV car

Bear in mind, you don't just buy the car and drive, you have tons of support you need to deal with EV, things like spare parts, charging stations, improved electricity grid mean if they were to change from ICE to EV, even Hybrid, you will need to invest seriously to replace the current infrastructure.

On the other hand, Hybrid is generally more expensive than EV or ICE car because you have 2 engines and drivetrain on it (both ICE engine and Electric Motor), you may as well stay with ICE car or go get an EV.

P.S The Geely Panda would suck big in Africa....You do long drive in Africa, and it's really pointless to have 100-150km range. Again, they don't have charging station litter along the road like we have in the West

The problem for developing nation or Global South is that they don't have enough resource to support EV car

Bear in mind, you don't just buy the car and drive, you have tons of support you need to deal with EV, things like spare parts, charging stations, improved electricity grid mean if they were to change from ICE to EV, even Hybrid, you will need to invest seriously to replace the current infrastructure.

On the other hand, Hybrid is generally more expensive than EV or ICE car because you have 2 engines and drivetrain on it (both ICE engine and Electric Motor), you may as well stay with ICE car or go get an EV.

P.S The Geely Panda would suck big in Africa....You do long drive in Africa, and it's really pointless to have 100-150km range. Again, they don't have charging station litter along the road like we have in the West
Would these cars be durable enough with an ICE in the global south?

Could they be built at such a scale that they could bring down the cost of a hybrid engine to nearly that of an ICE only version but only a couple hundred dollars more?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom