What's new

China Looks to New Fighters, Sparking Regional Arms Race: Report

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China Looks to New Fighters, Sparking Regional Arms Race: Report

China has started developing more advanced fighter jets in a bid to match the state-of-the-art F-22 U.S. combat aircraft, sparking a regional arms race, it was reported January 31.
Research is under way into developing the Jian-13 and Jian-14 (or J-13 and J-14) by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation and the Chengdu Aircraft Company, the Liberty Times said.
“The F-22 is seen as the target enemy while they are working on J-14,” the paper quoted an unnamed Taiwanese air force officer as saying.
The J-14, which is forecast to be equipped with radar-dodging capability, is scheduled to join the Chinese air force in 2015, he said.
“As J-14 would be much superior to J-10 or Russian-made Su-27s (now serving China’s air force) ... the arms build-up is sure to touch a new round of arms race in the region,” he added.
Taiwan plans to acquire 60 F-16 C/Ds from the United States while Japan is prepared to buy a number of F-22s, he said.
Taiwan’s defense ministry last week confirmed reports that China had put into service about 60 J-10 aircraft, whose combat capabilities are tipped to be the equivalent of the F-16 A/Bs in Taiwan’s air force.
“Armed with these airplanes, as well as Su-27s and Su-30s, China will have supremacy over Taiwan in the air,” air force Major General Wang Cheng-hsiao told reporters.
In the face of the perceived Chinese military threat, Taiwan planned to lift its military spending. It would account for 2.85 percent of gross domestic product in 2007, up from 2.32 percent in 2005, Vice Admiral Tung Hsiang-lung said last week.
China has repeatedly threatened to invade Taiwan should the island declare formal independence. It has regarded the self-governing island as part of its territory since a split in 1949 at the end of a civil war.
Tensions between Taiwan and China have escalated since the independence-leaning Chen Shui-bian was elected president in 2000. He was narrowly re-elected in 2004.

http://defensenews.com/story.php?F=2521412&C=airwar

Perhaps we should wait for the J-13/14 aircraft instead of J-10?

The 5th generation Russian and Chinese planes both must be about a decade away. We will join the game then, we will have to especially since India has boarded onto Russia's Su-47 Pak FA project.

I wonder if the Chinese would continue their Mig 1.42 cancelled project. We still need a flanker killer before we worry about the F-22 topping machines. So the next stop for us is the Super J-10, which itself may take about 5 years.

Asim,

J-10 will take more than 5 years, Reason being China has to replace a lot of its fighters. The First prioirty after that will be given to the Pakistani's

Pakistan's come a long way in obtaining self-sufficiency in production. I think Pak can and would want to produce the bulk of its share on its own. As the report suggests China already fields about 60 J-10s. That's a pretty good production rate if you ask me.

J-10s for Pak are probably underway and would only come as the Chinese develop their own engine for it, WS-10A was it? Pakistan doesn't want another "will she, won't she" situation with the Russians. That or the Russians sign us up on the Eula agreement as well, which btw, is still not signed by the Chinese.

Pakistan's come a long way in obtaining self-sufficiency in production. I think Pak can and would want to produce the bulk of its share on its own. As the report suggests China already fields about 60 J-10s. That's a pretty good production rate if you ask me.

J-10s for Pak are probably underway and would only come as the Chinese develop their own engine for it, WS-10A was it? Pakistan doesn't want another "will she, won't she" situation with the Russians. That or the Russians sign us up on the Eula agreement as well, which btw, is still not signed by the Chinese.

I think you are way of target there, J-10 uses AL-31F Engine which is of russian orgin. SO production for pakistan cant start until that engine is certified ready for production/induction. Last time I checked therewere only 28 J-10's in service and 6 Prototypes.

You are right, Pakistan can most definitly handle its own production, that its will take 3 years to train the people to do jus that. And it cant happen until China's develops WS-10A

Perhaps we should wait for the J-13/14 aircraft instead of J-10?

PAF needs to replace over 400 ageing jets in different classes and roles. I'm sure J-10C/FC-20C would come handy in great numbers before J-13/14/JXX gets IOC.

is that it? J-10 is just as capable as a F-16A/B ?:rolleyes:

No wait, was JF-17 not 70-80% as capable as F-16As? Hmm must be worth 10 years of research and spending to come up with J-10 which is 30% better than JF-17 and equal to US F-16s of the 1984 vintage :)

I think its all speculation. J-10 would have much better avionics and weapons in the next couple of years. The aircraft is not even mated to PGMs as of yet so it will take some time but within a few years, it will be in the F/A-18 class in terms of weapons etc. Dynamics of the aircraft will give it better performance than the F-16/F/A-18s...the avionics would be the key difference. PAF would definetly have a western avionics suite on the J-10 so this comparison to an F-16A/B is a bit misleading.

I think the Taiwanese guy is underplaying the J-10's capability by comparing it to the best they got.

is that it? J-10 is just as capable as a F-16A/B ?:rolleyes:

No, J-10 recently outclassed the PLAAF Su-27/J-11 according to the official report.
Ofcourse the source is Chinese. ;)

Yes it's originally from Taiwan,on purpose to get their missile purchasing approved.

Back
Top Bottom