What's new

China launches super-speed test train

S.Korea is too small ,doesnt need a railway,the bicycle is enough means of transport to fully get around in S.Korea,a train at full speed may send their passagners to the sea in no time.

South Koreans all densely packed in Seoul waiting for North Korean artillery. North Korean illegals in China cant afford HSR and will fly off if riding on roof. Looks like HSR for Koreans is a complete no go.

Funny though, the link yu posted said that more than 40 million passengers took the Beijing-Tianjin line. So your claim that Chinese passengers don't have the money is BS.

Oh, they had some hiccups. Hmm, the ICE, the TGV, the Eurostar all had hiccups, particularly the Eurostar connecting the Mainland with the UK was a total finanical fiasco at the beginning. But now it's running quite smoothly with the regular technical problems like hundreds of passengers stuck in the tunnel for hours or delays due to power supply issues.

I was pretty much the very few foreign passengers in the high speed trains when I rod in China. The absolut majority were Chinese passengers.

omg....when some of the members along with me raised a point of mssing chinese passengers on platform/aboard who are supposed to be beneficiary of this so called high speed mass transport system...chinese ppl started posting pics with couple of passengers but interestingly most/all of them are not chinese....lol...

Well, fake "Korean" just posted a link stating that over 40 millions of passengers took the train between Beijing and Tianjin within two years.

If you want to know more, here are tons of info and pics about Chinese Rail.

CHINA | High Speed Rail - Page 166 - SkyscraperCity

omg....when some of the members along with me raised a point of mssing chinese passengers on platform/aboard who are supposed to be beneficiary of this so called high speed mass transport system...chinese ppl started posting pics with couple of passengers but interestingly most/all of them are not chinese....lol...

that what they say about every major infratructure project. Look at Pudong.
Indians really hate infrastructure.

chinese ppl started posting pics with couple of passengers but interestingly most/all of them are not chinese....lol...
Chinese people are too poor to ride these bullet trains, so they ride traditional trains running on old railway network instead.

Götterdämmerung;2430407 said:
Well, fake "Korean" just posted a link stating that over 40 millions of passengers took the train between Beijing and Tianjin within two years.

If you want to know more, here are tons of info and pics about Chinese Rail.

CHINA | High Speed Rail - Page 166 - SkyscraperCity

Hey bro just ignor the two trolls korea and JD they are jeolous of our success.

Hey bro just ignor the two trolls korea and JD they are jeolous of our success.

wow...wat a change..one chinese troll is telling another chinese to ignore Korean and Indian.....u r such a loser...I pitty on u!

China's High Speed Rail Will Leave U.S. in the Dust

spee.png

While it attempts to kick-start its struggling auto industry, the U.S. is talking about building a high-speed rail network with an initial $8 billion in stimulus funds. Meanwhile, China is investing over $300 billion in high-speed rail through 2020, in a bid to speed ahead of the rest of the world's train systems.The numbers alone are head-spinning: 16,000 miles of new track by 2020, requiring 117 million tons of concrete just to construct the buttresses on which the tracks will lie. Top speeds from Beijing to Shanghai will approach 220 miles an hour, halving the current travel time to four hours. This year China Railway Company plans to hire 20,000 young engineers. Can we say leapfrogging?

Rail at Center of Stimulus Package
China's high speed rail build-out is at the front and center of its stimulus spending, in large part out of fear: little is more intimidating to Beijing's leaders than the sight of thousands of unemployed workers. So far the construction of the Beijing-Shanghai route alone has employed about 110,000 people.

The rest of China's stimulus program is focused on building airports, highways and environmental projects, particularly water treatment plants.

But alongside the need for jobs, the demand for better rail in China is also significant. Last year saw 1.46 billion journeys by rail, a 10.9% rise from 2007. The figure could double by next decade.

Stunning Rail Plan
Most of the new high-speed links will not be considerably faster than European trains. Thirty-five lines for trains traveling at 125 mph or more, measuring 6,800 miles in total, will be brought into service by 2012, officials say, with 4,350 more miles by 2020.

But the first phase will include five major routes — three running north to south, two east to west — with trains reaching 217 mph or 236 mph.

China spent $44 billion last year -- up from $12 billion in 2004 -- on rail.

"I don't think anything compares except maybe the growth of the U.S. rail network at the start of the 20th century," John Scales, the transport coordinator for China at the World Bank, told the Times.

China Speeds Off
In a recent piece by Bill Powell in Fortune, China's build-out plays foil to the U.S.'s sputtering $8 billion rail plans.

That $8 billion isn't much considering that as of last month, 40 states submitted 278 pre-applications for various high-speed passenger rail projects, amounting to $102.5 billion in requests. California wants to link San Francisco with L.A. via a high-speed link. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid wants the private sector to get into the act, proposing a high-speed spur to connect Las Vegas with L.A. Final applications are due August 24, and the FRA will begin distributing funds in September.

As Americans wait for projects to be approved, by 2012 Chinese rail travelers could begin to use the largest, most technologically sophisticated rail system in the world.

Much of the high-end rail technology, by the way, is coming from overseas. Canada's Bombardier is working on signaling systems and on 40 of the systems trains.

And the kicker to the Fortune piece:

Rail Growth = Economic Growth
The infrastructure spending appears to be driving surprise growth in China's economy. The country's second-quarter growth, at 7.9%, beat expectations, while economists at Goldman Sachs expect China's growth this year will exceed Beijing's estimate of 8.1%. Despite slowing exports from the global downturn, China's overall steel production capacity has increased by 10% to 12% over a year ago.

There's no doubt that "the acceleration of [the massive railroad build-out] is playing a key role in China's recovery," says David Li, an economist at Beijing's Tsinghua University.

In May we cited a piece at Infrastructurist arguing that a serious investment in high-speed rail in the U.S. could provide as many if not more jobs than the country's auto industry.

And, as Andy Kunz told us recently, a serious high-speed rail network could significantly cut American carbon emissions, boost technology and help wean us off of foreign oil.

spee2.jpg

Why is China So Good at This?

As with China's push to become the world leader in electric cars and hybrids, the country's command economy management means that big projects can get going faster than they might under a clunky American bureaucracy. Meanwhile, the manufacturing sector provides more than enough steel and concrete. But China's infrastructure success also rests on the early start it got: the rail build-up began in 2005, meaning projects were "shovel-ready" by the time recession hit.

The U.S. meanwhile is still looking for its shovel.
dustz.jpg

500 kmph passenger train sounds over ambitious...not sure about safety standards either....but China can do it, as human loss hardly matters to them as long as they are chasing any economical target....I guess, in a way they are right...they ve ample human resource which they can afford to waste....see, hundreds of chinese in this forum are so proud of Chinese economic growth....why not..they should be...at least they ve now learned so write in english and have got some stuff to counter that they are doing well....when I say some stuff...i meant it...:-)....so enjoy this high ride....though everyone is damn sure that the tech is borrowed, stolen from Euro/Japan....chinese CCP is doing gr8 job in ensuring they are feeding their educated ppl with enough stuff to ensure CCP govmt remains in power without any freedom movement as long as possible....CCP propaganda!

It is all right to question the safety measures... but in terms of human loss, no country in this whole world can be compared to a democracy that starves to death 2000000 its own children a year...year over year and every year! :hitwall:

wow...wat a change..one chinese troll is telling another chinese to ignore Korean and Indian.....u r such a loser...I pitty on u!

Indian trains?????????yes ,they are great,see what Indians think about their trains.

Chinese Trains, Indian Trains

We travelled from Beijing to Shanghai by the high-speed train days after it was introduced. A week later, on our return journey from a holiday in the land of dragons, we took a train from Ernakulam town in India's southern Kerala state to Coimbatore, across the border in Tamil Nadu. Both the journeys were completed in under five hours. Distance between Beijing and Shanghai: 1318 km; between Ernakulam and Coimbatore: 178 km.

The coaches of the sleek-nosed, gleaming, white Chinese train could match the cabin of a commercial airplane, constantly cleaned by uniformed women attendants on the lookout for any litter.

“Mom, the train is dirty,” said a little girl with a distinct American twang, holding her nose tight as we boarded the Indian train. Her NRI (non-resident Indian) mother and grandfather shushed the little one, lest some patriotic Indian consider her observation blasphemous.

“She is only telling the truth,” said my wife as the girl looked at the elders triumphantly. A ticket examiner said apologetically,” We can’t do anything as the cleaning has been handed over to a private party.”

The two trains are symbolic of the wide gap in the developmental graphs of the world’s two fastest growing economies and the way they are going about it, as your graph has projected.

Like the high-speed train that was introduced on June 30, eve of the 90th birthday of the Communist Party of China, hurtles from the clean Beijing South railway station to the snazzy Shanghai, the country’s financial hub at over 300 kmph, the country seems to be dizzyingly zooming towards its single-hearted pursuit of super power status.

“Why is that we are unable to do what the Chinese are doing?” my wife constantly asked as we took in the capital city with its impressive six-lane highways and eyes-pleasing landscaping, the Forbidden City and other tourist spots, kept spectacularly clean, despite the thousands who visit the sites every day.

I said China had a policy that controlled migration of rural people to the urban centres.
“What’s the population of Beijing,” she asked.
About 20 million, I said.
“That’s more than Delhi’s population. Still look at the difference,” my wife said pointedly.

If Beijing was a revelation, spanking Shanghai was a confirmation that we have decades to catch up with our neighbour.

No one was seen urinating or defecating on the roadsides or along the railway tracks, a ubiquitous part of Indian scenery. The reason was not difficult to find. The Chinese have built lavatories across these cities, helping the people maintain their personal dignity. And these public conveniences are kept spotlessly clean, mostly. Many of these were set up ahead of the Beijing Olympics.

The Chinese trains, however, have not been without their share of glitches. Hours after we arrived in Shanghai, heavy rains and lightning brought the entire Bullet train system on the sector to a halt. Local news reports said the passengers were stuck in the fully-sealed trains for over two hours and there was panic onboard.

A collision between two high-speed trains on July 23 near the city of Wenzhou that left over 35 people dead underlines the need for improving safety measures. The speed of the Beijing-Shanghai train, which was initially planned to run at 350 kmph, was reduced to 300 kmph and later to 250 kmph due to these concerns.

“We have accidents almost daily even when our trains run at bullock-cart speed,” my wife underlined the irony.
You just can’t win some arguments.

Back
Top Bottom