What's new

China HSR News And Information: Original Translation

You took all these pics @AndrewJin ?

Good job! :enjoy:

Cuteness overload from the Pandas!!:happy:

Are they more spicy/strong like Sichuanese cuisine in general?

Can't wait to to do more hot pot with my Chinese buddies in the upcoming cold Canadian winter ;).
U mean now?
Airport underground HSR station
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446076448.306584.jpg

I am now uploading photos directly via PDF app on the train.

Btw, hot pot in Sichuan is really numbingly spicy, nearly all hot pots outside Sichuan province has been adjusted to milder favor. And I don't think most people can handle the authentic version, plus it uses beef oil.

Btw, hot pot in Sichuan is really numbingly spicy, nearly all hot pots outside Sichuan province has been adjusted to milder favor. And I don't think most people can handle the authentic version, plus it uses beef oil.

I quite like Sichuan spiciness/bold flavours. They remind me of parts of Indian cuisine.

I have had many seriously spicy Hot pots, I wonder if they were Sichuan style...but hard to say since I just dumped in a lot of very hot ingredients myself.

Beef oil makes no difference to me, I eat almost everything.

Where is the link to the PDF app you use?

I quite like Sichuan spiciness/bold flavours. They remind me of parts of Indian cuisine.

I have had many seriously spicy Hot pots, I wonder if they were Sichuan style...but hard to say since I just dumped in a lot of very hot ingredients myself.

Then Sichuan will be a food heaven for you! I have to say, Sichuan food is almost the best in China, but since it is too spicy, it is less famous outside China than Cantonese food. On the contrary, Cantonese food in China is not that popular, Sichuanese restaurant or Sichuanese hot pot restaurant is nearly on every street in China.

Street food in Chengdu
Spicy rice noodle jelly, sweet glutinous rice jelly with brown sugar, fried tofu, spicy tofu pudding, fried glutinous rice ball, etc
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446077488.858356.jpg

Where is the link to the PDF app you use?
PDF app? Just search in App store.

PDF app? Just search in App store.

Oh ok i misunderstood, I thought its an app in this forum.

Then Sichuan will be a food heaven for you! I have to say, Sichuan food is almost the best in China, but since it is too spicy, it is less famous outside China than Cantonese food. On the contrary, Cantonese food in China is not that popular, Sichuanese restaurant or Sichuanese hot pot restaurant is nearly on every street in China.

Yes I grew up in Hong Kong and got Cantonese taste put in me from young age and you are right, it is the most global version of Chinese cuisine. But I have tried various other regional Chinese cuisines as well, but I gotta say Sichuan cuisine is my favourite overall. I was in Chengdu about 3 years back as part of a Pratt Whitney team to integrate a new blisk production line....so I got a good chance to sample the authentic version....it definitely beats the more westernized version of Sichuan cuisines in other countries for sure. Will have to try the hot pot next time I am there for sure.

You took all these pics @AndrewJin ?

Good job! :enjoy:

Cuteness overload from the Pandas!!:happy:

Are they more spicy/strong like Sichuanese cuisine in general?

Can't wait to to do more hot pot with my Chinese buddies in the upcoming cold Canadian winter ;).
mala_huoguo-004.jpg

yes very strong n spicy!

typical Sichuan hotpot, half spicy half not. the essence is the numbing heat from chili pepper though, hotpot from other regions may only contain spicy but no numb.

3276770_1.jpg

and for hotpot materials nothing is off-limits.:enjoy:

Oh ok i misunderstood, I thought its an app in this forum.

Yes I grew up in Hong Kong and got Cantonese taste put in me from young age and you are right, it is the most global version of Chinese cuisine. But I have tried various other regional Chinese cuisines as well, but I gotta say Sichuan cuisine is my favourite overall. I was in Chengdu about 3 years back as part of a Pratt Whitney team to integrate a new blisk production line....so I got a good chance to sample the authentic version....it definitely beats the more westernized version of Sichuan cuisines in other countries for sure. Will have to try the hot pot next time I am there for sure.
Growing up in HK?! I can totally understand you now as myself is a non-Cantonese grew up in Cantonese area end up having a fetish for Sichuan cooking...

I've been to Sichuan. I'd say many so called Sichuan hotpot in Guangdong already localized, becoming less spicy less numbing to court the Cantonese tongue. :(.

Street food in Chengdu
Spicy rice noodle jelly, sweet glutinous rice jelly with brown sugar, fried tofu, spicy tofu pudding, fried glutinous rice ball, etc
View attachment 267914
you are tourturing me with food pics again! it's almost lunch time!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Growing up in HK?! I can totally understand you now as myself is a non-Cantonese grew up in Cantonese area end up having a fetish for Sichuan cooking...

Ha, thats true my friend. What's weird is my Sister who was born in Hong Kong has almost completely acquired that Cantonese sensitivity/reluctance to spicy food even though she got Indian genes. My mom always said its because of the water in Hong Kong lol....its a bit of trouble for my sis since my Dad and I like our food quite strong/spicy.

I've been to Sichuan. I'd say many so called Sichuan hotpot in Guangdong already localized, becoming less spicy less numbing to court the Cantonese tongue.

Its true everywhere outside of Sichuan I think. In the west I was able to notice the difference between "exotic" Sichuan style and the generic "Cantonese" Chinese style at various places...and this was more pronounced in places I have lived like Singapore.....but you still got to go to Sichuan to sample the real deal....because it was totally on a different level to what I was used to....and nothing outside quite compares. Cantonese tongue, we use that exact same phrase for my sister haha...it does not surprise me....almost all my Cantonese friends could not handle authentic Indian food either.

mala_huoguo-004.jpg

yes very strong n spicy!

typical Sichuan hotpot, half spicy half not. the essence is the numbing heat from chili pepper though, hotpot from other regions may only contain spicy but no numb.

3276770_1.jpg

and for hotpot materials nothing is off-limits.:enjoy:

I've been to Sichuan. I'd say many so called Sichuan hotpot in Guangdong already localized, becoming less spicy less numbing to court the Cantonese tongue. :(.

you are tourturing me with food pics again! it's almost lunch time!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
My lunch for today, street food in Leshan of Sichuan
Chicken soup rice, glutinous rice jelly with brown sugar, main food is of course 串串香. U don't have to eat all, they will count the number of sticks.
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446096086.975347.jpg

Last edited:
Seems you have a trip blog kind of thing going here @AndrewJin ....love it!
What amazes me here is that they eat so many spicy food everyday, even spicy noodle for breakfast but they still have nice skin.

I like their altitude towards life.
Tea inside temple!
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446098266.417677.jpg

ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446098298.017233.jpg

ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446098326.699152.jpg

ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446098360.166267.jpg

Wenshu Monastery, Chengdu City

Ha, thats true my friend. What's weird is my Sister who was born in Hong Kong has almost completely acquired that Cantonese sensitivity/reluctance to spicy food even though she got Indian genes. My mom always said its because of the water in Hong Kong lol....its a bit of trouble for my sis since my Dad and I like our food quite strong/spicy.

Its true everywhere outside of Sichuan I think. In the west I was able to notice the difference between "exotic" Sichuan style and the generic "Cantonese" Chinese style at various places...and this was more pronounced in places I have lived like Singapore.....but you still got to go to Sichuan to sample the real deal....because it was totally on a different level to what I was used to....and nothing outside quite compares. Cantonese tongue, we use that exact same phrase for my sister haha...it does not surprise me....almost all my Cantonese friends could not handle authentic Indian food either.
Humm my family love Sichuan food to a point it's like an important ritual must be done almost every week. But some of my Cantonese friends just can't do spicy, not even a little bit. It's painful hanging out with them in a Sichuan place, must order non-spicy and even then they complain about it....

There are a fair number of small to medium size restaurants runned by Sichuanese folks here in Shenzhen, where the taste are considered to be quite genuine. The big brand chains however, are usually the first to localize, not that they taste bad though, their Cantonese style Sichuan cooking also works for me. You can come for a food tour next time back in HK, we are just a river away after all.;).

My lunch for today, street food in Leshan of Sichuan
Chicken soup rice, glutinous rice jelly with brown sugar, main food is of course 串串香. U don't have to eat all, they will count the number of sticks.
View attachment 267945

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:!!!! I think I can eat them all!!!

Andrew you should post some Leshan Budda pics too, adding a little spiritual feels here.:D.

:smitten:

Feeling hungry already.

Maybe should drop by one restaurant this evening right across the corner from my place.
that's actually a pic of 高雄麻辣火鍋, the materials the same with Sichuan though.

now i have a craving for 口水雞:

19300001111193130914740609671.jpg

@AndrewJin tried any authentic version there?

Humm my family love Sichuan food to a point it's like an important ritual must be done almost every week. But some of my Cantonese friends just can't do spicy, not even a little bit. It's painful hanging out with them in a Sichuan place, must order non-spicy and even then they complain about it....

LOL!

There are a fair number of small to medium size restaurants runned by Sichuanese folks here in Shenzhen, where the taste are considered to be quite genuine. The big brand chains however, are usually the first to localize, not that they taste bad though, their Cantonese style Sichuan cooking also works for me. You can come for a food tour next time back in HK, we are just a river away after all.

Nice, thanks for the invite! I havent been to Shenzhen since I was 10 years old in the mid 90s. Went to the windows of the world theme park, thats about all I really remember. Pretty cold and it was around Chinese new year...even got some Hong bao/Li-Cee from the hotel staff. I remember the really big scale model of Eiffel tower and I was impressed to see they had a big Ashoka lion right after the Entrance area I think. There was a monorail and nice fireworks too. That and a taxi driver swindled us a bit.

Back then I bet Shenzhen wasn't as big as it is now I've heard. Will have to make it a point to visit again especially now that I got you as a contact to take me on a food tour hehe.

Is that chicken dish you posted like a Sichuan style of siu mei white chicken? It looks like it actually got a strong flavour to it haha.

There are a fair number of small to medium size restaurants runned by Sichuanese folks here in Shenzhen, where the taste are considered to be quite genuine. The big brand chains however, are usually the first to localize, not that they taste bad though, their Cantonese style Sichuan cooking also works for me. You can come for a food tour next time back in HK, we are just a river away after all.;).

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:!!!! I think I can eat them all!!!

Andrew you should post some Leshan Budda pics too, adding a little spiritual feels here.:D.

that's actually a pic of 高雄麻辣火鍋, the materials the same with Sichuan though.

now i have a craving for 口水雞:

19300001111193130914740609671.jpg

@AndrewJin tried any authentic version there?
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446117118.875388.jpg

ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446117166.145543.jpg

I didn't take a boat to see a panorama, I spent most of my time searching for local cuisine and then headed back to Chengdu. Weather not good, too cloudy.

Back to the HSR theme.
Leshan Railway Station
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446117234.651805.jpg

Chengdu East Railway Station
Arrival/metro floor
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446117272.835609.jpg

Panda on the facade!
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1446117414.878546.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom