What's new

China HSR News And Information: Original Translation

Do you know there is always a dining car in traditional trains where you can order dishes, not pre-cooked boxed meals? I seldom buy stuff sold in bullet trains, I always bring food from home or buy some in the railway stations.

Brother having the luxury of dining in a train is fantastic, because it increases customer satisfaction and a bespoke service is provided. The second picture demonstrates the conjecture, that customers can have an exhilarating experience of admiring the natural landscape of China with the added bonus of enjoying a nice hot meal with friends and family. Foreigners in particular those who reside in European countries, would appreciate this service.

the first Uyghur attendant on Lanzhou-Xinjiang HSR

Excellent to see Uighur women working as HSR attendants:) Once the level of education increases in China and there is better integration, things will improve for Xinjiang and its people.

You mean Zhonghua as in Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo? (People's Republic of China) or Zhonghua Minguo( Republic of China)?

Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo

I got to try!!! I love muslin food. If I travel to Beijing, I will try.(find one in Beijing searching a food APP, rated by 5 stars, top one, and only 50-60 per person. One Indian restaurant in Wuhan is rated 3 stars, I won't try although all the cooks are from India)

Pakistani food is heavily influenced by the Mughal dynasty. Unfortunately, there are not many good restaurants in China, which can depict the real essence of Pakistani cuisine. This will change in the future and hopefully across the whole of China, people will have the opportunity to taste good dishes. One day, I will take you to Pakistan and show you a selection of dishes from Punjabi, Baluchistan, Sindhi and KPK. In Pakistan, there is a rise in demand for fusion cooking which uses Chinese dishes with a Pakistani touch for the local pallet. However, there are many Pakistani restaurants in Hong Kong.

Cantonese, no offence to them, really eat something weird. o_O

Haha:) I have a friend who lives in Kunming and is half Cantonese from his Dad side and he jokingly said to me "that Cantonese eat anything that generally moves". Trust me Brother, Bird Nest Soup was very nice, although I fail to understand the attraction of Shark Fin Soup. This is because the broth of the soup is fantastic, however the Shark Fin does not add any real flavour to the dish. I guess the dish is popular due to the various Emperors consuming it in history.

They only claim Supa Powa. Supa Powan(s) is a new word, my creation, I should sell it to them.:p:

Haha:) You are very inventive Brother to create a new word from scratch. You should travel to India and auction it to the general public, as the word has become sacred to the inferior mentalities of Indians across the globe:)

Is it rolling stock? Or magnetic levitation?
Does this train need special tracks, or will the current ones do?
Obviously not magnetic train. We already have 500km/h experiment HSR and test it successfully in the lab years ago, in my view, 500km/h is unnecessary, it costs too much since the cost rises along with the speed rises,350-400km/h is enough inside the country transportation.

Thrilling news! So CIT500 is useful in the future? 500kph! We should use this in the new Beijing-Guangzhou HSR, image 4-5 hours by train from Beijing to Guangzhou 2000km away!
View attachment 224401

According to this latest report,China has mastered 9 core technologies specific to HSR,including high-speed bogies。

And futher breakthroughs will be made in the following areas of technological innovations::tup::D

基于LTE(Long Term Evolution,长期演进)通信的列控系统
基于Wi-Fi及移动互联的旅客服务技术
不设分相、远程控制的牵引供电系统
能与全国地震监测台网接入的地震监控预警系统
基于大数据的固定、移动设备智能监测和安全预警技术
etc etc

中国高铁形成自主知识产权 攻克九大核心技术-中新网

Can you give a brief overview?

Viability studies of 350km/h ballast track technology and ballastless track ultra-high cushion technology will be carried out this year on the Yuanping-Taiyuan section of the Datong-Xi'an HSR。

Tests of 500km/h HSR technology will be carried out next year on the Dangshan section of the Zhengzhou-Xuzhou HSR。

An 100km+ section of the Beijing-Shenyang HSR in Heishan county has been designated as experimental line for performing tests on new high-speed rail technologies lasting 6 months in 2018。

All HSRs mentioned above are at various stages of construction and as such will be built incorporating the latest techs and developments in HSR。

I wish one day I can take a trip across China in HSR. My girlfriend has already been in Beijing-Shanghai HSR.
How dare you leave her along!
Just joking, welcome! Classical China, Beijing/Shanghai/Hangzhou/Xi'an/Luoyang/ are already connected by HSR

Although not an HSR line, are you planning to take Qinghai-Tibet railway too?
I took it in my summer vocation of 2011, amazing experience. But it's extremely difficult to get a ticket, especially hard/soft bed. If you wanna try, first go to Xining, the capital of Qinghai Province, services directly from Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou are always full. In 2011, I added extra money to buy a hard bed(at that time no real-name ticket system; in real-name online ticket system, you can never win Chinese netizens) and I started from Xining, the terminus of the first phase of Qinghai-Tibet railway.
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.19.29.png

Golmud, the terminus of the second phase of Qinghai-Tibet railway
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.19.51.png

Golmud basin
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.20.09.png

Kunlun Mountains, extending more than 3,000 kilometres
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.20.49.png

A station in Tibet
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.22.03.png

On the train back from Tibet,Nyenchen Tanglha Mountains
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.23.41.png

屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.24.19.png

Tuotuo River, in Mongolian Ulan Moron, one of the geographic sources of Yangtze River
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 11.24.35.png

A Look at the Impact of China's GuiGuang and NanGuang Rail Lines
May 19, 2015, World Bank

cq5dam.resized.400x267!.png

China's new Nanning-Guangzhou and Guiyang-Guangzhou high-speed railway (HSR) lines connect economically advanced regions with poorer and less-developed areas
  • The World Bank financed a small portion of each rail line - US$600 million of an estimated US$22.2 billion
  • In addition to its logistical and economic benefits, the new train lines are receiving rave reviews from travelers and boosting tourism numbers
On December 26, 2014, a couple got married on the same day as the Nanning-Guangzhou high-speed rail (HSR) service opened. Coincidence? Not really. The couple met while in college many years ago. Their jobs forced them to live separately in Nanning and Guangzhou.

Despite hundreds of text messages and phone calls, the 577-kilometer (359-mile) distance remained a problem. She said, “We both have full-time jobs and the long-distance relationship took us so much time and energy. Sometimes, I wondered if it was worth it.”
The turning point occurred in 2014, when the completion of the NanGuang HSR line reduced the travel time between the two capital cities to three hours. Three hours means that while she is watching a movie on the train, he can prepare a nice dinner at home. She said, “We were really looking forward to this fast travel service. With it, I don’t think I will worry about our long-distance relationship anymore, because it is not long distance! More importantly, it fulfilled our love.” To mark the occasion, the couple set their wedding day to coincide with the official opening of the NanGuang HSR service.
On the same day as the wedding, China opened both the Nanning-Guangzhou (574 km at 200km/h) and the Guiyang-Guangzhou ( 856km at 250km/h) HSR services. The lines connect the economically advanced Guangdong province (per capita GDP of 50,807 RMB, or US$8,185), with poorer and less developed areas Guangxi (per capita GDP of 28,054 RMB, or US$4,592) and Guizhou (per capita GDP of 16,413 RMB, or US2,644). Similarly, the railways connect less-populated areas to densely populated centers (see Figure 1). The newly launched railway services will create benefits for travelers, new job opportunities for local workers, and bring economic development.

original

Figure 1: Population pattern along the GuiGuang and NanGuang lines (Data source: Census 2010; Map by Mengke Chen)

Benefits for Users
The 574-kilometer NanGuang HSR service significantly reduces travel time between Nanning and Guangzhou; from 13 hours to only three hours and 19 minutes. A journalist from the Shenzhen Evening News experienced this first hand, taking the service to Nanning. He reported, “It is a great experience, comfortable and reliable. Without this choice, I would have had to take a bus for more than 10 hours. You can imagine that it would be really inconvenient for travelling with children. However, I don’t need to worry about the long travel times anymore. Moreover, the train provides great meal service with the option of local food. What a wonderful travel experience!”
Similarly, the 856-kilometer GuiGuang HSR line slashes travel time between Guiyang and Guangzhou from 21 hours to four hours and 9 minutes. On the first day of operation, the station was crowded with passengers who were eager to be the first to experience the service. One said, “With the HSR service, I think I can say goodbye to the highway.”
This line goes through breathtaking landscapes and crosses a bridge more than meters (230 feet) high, which offers unparalleled views of mountains and beautiful green countryside. This has led to the railway line being described as “the most beautiful line in China.” The reporter laughed and said, “When people see this view, I guess they are eager to get off at the next stop.”

Air Travel Choices?
Soon after the GuiGuang line started selling tickets, the CNR Network reported, “Air fares are discounted significantly, and the price is even lower than train tickets.” Direct flights from Guiyang to Guilin (420km) have been canceled as the rail service was deemed more attractive.

Impacts on Tourism
The new HSR links are expected to boost the development of tourism in the region. The Guizhou Provincial Tourism Bureau noted that after the start of HSR services, more than 9.87 million tourists came to Guizhou during the six days before the Spring Festival Golden Week. This is an increase of 20 percent compared with last year. About 70 percent of tourists traveled to Guizhou by taking the HSR service.

Transport_HappyPassengers.jpg

China Daily reported that the Huangguoshu waterfall, the largest in China, had attracted more than 50,000 tourists during the first month after the GuiGuang line opened. Among those, 42.3 percent of them came by HSR. Other major attractions also benefited from the availability of the GuiGuang HSR service, with attendances up 20 percent on the previous year.

The director of a travel agency located in the city of Foshan explained that the dramatic increase of tourists to Guizhou is due to both the cheap train tickets and also the great route that connects scenic sites. The HSR provides a convenient option for travelers to go to mountainous regions and experience authentic local cultures.
With the great accessibility and affordable ticket prices, tourists along the GuiGuang line have a stronger desire to travel, even during winter. To further stimulate tourism, local bureaus have developed strategies to encourage people to travel. For example, discounts for scenic spots, hotels, and restaurants were made available to holders of HSR tickets. As a result of these strategies and the reduced travel times, it is anticipated that travel during weekends and short holidays will become more popular.
The NanGuang HSR service also generated similar positive impacts on tourism. For example, one officer from the tourism bureau explained that the majority of tourists come from Guangdong, demonstrating the increasing popularity of one-day or two-day (including weekend) trips. Although the detailed numbers have not been compiled, increases in tourism have been observed since the HSR service started.
Older travelers find the rail service comfortable and convenient. One couple in their late sixties said, “At our age, it is not convenient to travel by airplane because we cannot sit for too long. However, we don’t have this issue with HSR service. We have booked many trips this year by HSR. We think we could make many more trips later during our lifetime.”
These benefits were observed firsthand during the Bank team’s latest supervision mission for the GuiGuang HSR project. On the train from Guiyang to Guilin, Mr. Tao, together with his wife, explained that they were going on a group holiday organized by a travel agent. It was their first trip on the GuiGuang line and they were very satisfied with the HSR experience given the speed, cleanliness, and comfort. “We are willing to take more GuiGuang HSR trips in the future,” a smiling Mr. Tao said.
Economic Benefits
The GuiGuang and NanGuang HSR lines are important transport corridors, allowing Southwest China access to the sea through Guangzhou. Guizhou, Guangxi and Guangdong provinces plan to encourage economic development along the HSR lines, which will complement the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road strategy.
The Xinhua News recently held a discussion on what GuiGuang and NanGuang HSR services could bring to China. Experts said that most HSR cities have plans for economic transformation including urban and new-area development. These plans are empowered by the availability of the HSR service. For instance, during the World Bank’s recent supervision mission, the city of Zhaoqing which is located at the intersection of GuiGuang and NanGuang lines, exhibited a comprehensive HSR oriented development plan for its new city district, shown below.

Transport_HSROrientedDevelopment.jpg

Although the HSR service has only been available for three months, there is already evidence of the economic benefits in social media. For example, users have reported drastic travel time reductions for the Guizhou line. One professor from the Guangxi Normal University noted, “this new connection saves people travel time and improves efficiency of business in the city of Guilin. These direct benefits will further generate impacts on people’s travel, logistics, capital flow and so on, and finally stimulate GDP of the city.”

Also, a researcher with the Guizhou Academy of Social Sciences, Huang Yong, said the GuiGuang HSR would facilitate the transfer of technology and knowledge from eastern coastal areas to the southwestern interior.
The NanGuang line will also encourage economic development of the cities through which it passes and enable the development of trade through business travel. Ms. Yao from the Guangxi Academy of Social Sciences mentioned that many merchants from ASEAN countries come to China for business, preferring to fly to Nanning first and then take a train to Guangzhou for economic and trade activities. Now with the HSR service, these merchants have ready access to other provinces, rather than focusing on Guangzhou city only. By opening up these cities, the NanGuang HSR line is expected to spread the economic activities to other places.
Clearly the economic and social benefits of the NanGuang and GuiGuang HSR lines are apparent, even only three months after they have commenced. But what are the views of the passengers who take them? Check back soon for the results of on-board surveys from these new services.

a website for you, hope you like it and find it useful.
China 2015 Bridge Trip - HighestBridges.com
Thanks! Actually I've known this website for years, and I'm looking forward to their photos of 2015 trip.
During my trip to Enshi, I did see a lot of bridges of parallel G50 expressway, and the railway itself is largely tunnelled and bridged. And I actually saw that highest bridge so far, Siduhe Bridge in the bullet train, but just a glance, too fast to capture its beauty. But i've heard Siduhe Bridge will lose its rank to some bridges in Guizhou in 2015 or 2016.
Siduhe Bridge - HighestBridges.com
Siduhe Bridge, part of the G50 National Expressway (Shanghai-Wuhan-Chengdu), in Enshi Prefecture
750px-SiduheWideGeorgesAlban.jpg
750px-SiduheViewGeorgesAlban.jpg
750px-SiduheClouds.jpg
750px-SiduheBazilingTunnel.jpg

The World Bank financed a small portion of each rail line - US$600 million of an estimated US$22.2 billion
I have read a lot of reports about Chinese HSR from World Bank, very positive.

In addition to its logistical and economic benefits, the new train lines are receiving rave reviews from travelers and boosting tourism numbers
Exactly, when Changsha-Guiyang section of Shanghai-Kunming HSR is open late this year, there will be direct through services from Wuhan. (Wuhan-Guangzhou line and then Shanghai-Kunming Line) At that time, travellers from Hubei will totally abandon airplanes. There are already bullet trains from Wuhan to Guilin, only 5 hours 345yuan, it's simply stupid to travel to Guilin by air.

On the same day as the wedding, China opened both the Nanning-Guangzhou (574 km at 200km/h) and the Guiyang-Guangzhou ( 856km at 250km/h) HSR services.
That day, 26 December 2015, a day will be memorised in Chinese railway history. Nanning-Guangzhou, Guiyang-Guangzhou and Lanzhou-Xinjiang, three HSR were inaugurated on the same day, an outburst of railway of Western China.
“With the HSR service, I think I can say goodbye to the highway.”
I seldom take long-distance bus, only when standing tickets of bullet trains are sold out.

This line goes through breathtaking landscapes and crosses a bridge more than meters (230 feet) high, which offers unparalleled views of mountains and beautiful green countryside. This has led to the railway line being described as “the most beautiful line in China.” The reporter laughed and said, “When people see this view, I guess they are eager to get off at the next stop.”
karst landform! Similar to Yichang-Enshi railway.

Direct flights from Guiyang to Guilin (420km) have been canceled as the rail service was deemed more attractive.
Very wise.

The Guizhou Provincial Tourism Bureau noted that after the start of HSR services, more than 9.87 million tourists came to Guizhou during the six days before the Spring Festival Golden Week. This is an increase of 20 percent compared with last year. About 70 percent of tourists traveled to Guizhou by taking the HSR service.
Good news for Guizhou!
Now only 12 pairs of bullet trains from Guiyang to Guangzhou, 28 pairs from Nanning to Guangzhou, there are huge potentials. MORE manufacturing capacity from CNR/CSR, they should really open more factories across China.
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 12.40.59.png

Last edited:
High-speed rail in China's coldest places set to open :tup::D

(People's Daily Online) 18:40, May 22, 2015

FOREIGN201505221840000515096730239.jpg

On May 20, electric power was supplied to all the catenaries of the Harbin-Qiqihar high-speed rail, which marks Heilongjiang will enter the high-speed rail era. Harbin-Qiqihar high-speed railway is located in China's northern most Heilongjiang province. It will connect the provincial capital Harbin and Qiqihar, the second largest city in the province. The speed of the rail will be 250 km per hour in summer and 200 km per hour in winter. It is expected to open within this year.

High-speed rail in China's coldest places set to open - People's Daily Online

On May 20, electric power was supplied to all the catenaries of the Harbin-Qiqihar high-speed rail, which marks Heilongjiang will enter the high-speed rail era. Harbin-Qiqihar high-speed railway is located in China's northern most Heilongjiang province. It will connect the provincial capital Harbin and Qiqihar, the second largest city in the province. The speed of the rail will be 250 km per hour in summer and 200 km per hour in winter. It is expected to open within this year.

Do u remember this map? Every project is well implemented so far.
5103km new lines(>200km/h) which are scheduled to operate/test in 2015
屏幕快照 2015-03-25 22.33.59.png

屏幕快照 2015-03-25 20.02.28.png

How dare you leave her along!
Just joking, welcome! Classical China, Beijing/Shanghai/Hangzhou/Xi'an/Luoyang/ are already connected by HSR

I took it in my summer vocation of 2011, amazing experience. But it's extremely difficult to get a ticket, especially hard/soft bed. If you wanna try, first go to Xining, the capital of Qinghai Province, services directly from Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou are always full. In 2011, I added extra money to buy a hard bed(at that time no real-name ticket system; in real-name online ticket system, you can never win Chinese netizens) and I started from Xining, the terminus of the first phase of Qinghai-Tibet railway.
View attachment 224550

Golmud, the terminus of the second phase of Qinghai-Tibet railway
View attachment 224552

Golmud basin
View attachment 224551

Kunlun Mountains, extending more than 3,000 kilometres
View attachment 224554

A station in Tibet
View attachment 224553

On the train back from Tibet,Nyenchen Tanglha Mountains
View attachment 224555
View attachment 224557

Tuotuo River, in Mongolian Ulan Moron, one of the geographic sources of Yangtze River
View attachment 224556
haha at that time I was busy but now I regret not going. :(

I will definitely take the train to Tibet. It's one of the most scenic railway tours in the world. How did you find altitude sickness? Was it hard to bear?

haha at that time I was busy but now I regret not going. :(

I will definitely take the train to Tibet. It's one of the most scenic railway tours in the world. How did you find altitude sickness? Was it hard to bear?
Just relax, walk slowly and drink red bull. All people will suffer more or less, but mostly just mild headache. But if one wanna spend a night at the altitude of more than 5000m, it'll be different. I tried one night at EBC, terrible feeling. For classic routes in Tibet, travelers sleep in cities and towns of less than 4000 m, no problem.

To any scenic site, you will go through a lot of mountain passes, but just several minutes, I felt OK, just very windy.
屏幕快照 2015-05-25 21.36.21.png

屏幕快照 2015-05-25 21.38.42.png

China Owns Independent High-speed Railway IP

SHANGHAI, May 25, 2015 (SinoCast Daily Business Beat via COMTEX) --

China has developed independent intellectual properties in high-speed railway technologies and IP disputes do not exist in overseas sales, according to an executive with China Railway Corporation.

China has mastered nine core technologies including high-speed bogie and ten technical difficulties including pantograph. The country has developed 350-kilometer and 250-kilometer EMUs.

The technologies determined key technical parameters like spaces between high-speed railways with different speeds, the minimum curve radius, limited slope and the minimum tunnel section, which meet demands for construction of railways with different speeds.

China's high-speed railways adopt seamless lines. The 1318-kilometer Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway has no one rail slot.

Source: 中国新闻网—梳理天下新闻 (May 25, 2015)

Let me continue with my Enshi/Chongqing journey
Part one, from Wuhan to Enshi (by high speed train)

屏幕快照 2015-05-26 15.06.51.png

Part two, Enshi Grand Canyon
After a traditional Enshi breakfast, I took a bus to the long-distance bus station. It is 60km/1.5 hours(25yuan) from downtown along the magnificent Qing River Valley, frequent services. The road trip itself was fantastic enough. When the tunnels are finished in a couple of years, yes, the road will be much better but travelers will no longer enjoy the picturesque scenery of Qing River Valley.

Number 005 County Road (Tunyu Road), along Qing River
屏幕快照 2015-05-26 15.27.43.png
屏幕快照 2015-05-26 15.27.29.png

It was a really surprise when I reached my hotel, the only vocational village at the entrance of Grand Canyon. I booked it two days before with Qunar.com with only 150yuan($24) including breakfast buffet. There are still a plenty of construction work in the hotel which directly faces the whole canyon. I guess I got such an incredible discount because Qunar.com is having a fierce competition with Ctrip.com.

Buildings of this Daughter Village Hotel are scattered along the road.
屏幕快照 2015-05-26 14.28.11.png

Very local design, a mixture of Tujia and Chu style. (Chu Kingdom)
屏幕快照 2015-05-26 14.29.56.png

屏幕快照 2015-05-26 14.27.39.png

On the balcony of my room
屏幕快照 2015-05-26 14.27.19.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom