What's new

China Hong Kong SAR: News and Images

1. It's HK not Beijing, China will be fine, would HK? See we can pay the bills just fine, but HK people actually live there, with morgages and stuff, 2 weeks in the other 6.9 million people would kill them if they have to, to continue work and get their pay check to feed their families.

It's also why all those thinking this could be 89, needs a reality check, Brits didn't care when India rioted, neither will we.

When they mention military vehicles spotted, I must say that is just stupid, it's spotted all the time, a brigade is in there.

2. They can do what they wish even if we do bend I see two things.

One, the elite business, political, and scientific minds would want to extent their reach into China, for we can offer them far better than any other. Current WHO is HKer, why did she get elected? Scientifically, we have 2 cities now that far exceeds HK GDP, and another 5-7 will do so within 2020. Eastern coastal PROVINCES, will reach more than half of their per capital and become developed within the next 10 years, this would almost certainly mean more business opportunities for HKers, and more access to funding for technology and more access, Chinese space program is really only available to Chinese, now who we consider Chinese is another matter, but not in China sure as hell isn't.

We also have to keep in mind these people are the pillars of any society like it or not, they won't approve of separating from China.

Now on the off chance you are right, we are working extra hard at our economy and military. By then our influence would be more not less, so, it's not really up to them, like Lincoln said to Davis, independence? Up yours.:sniper:

So much for all those Western goons that were laughing at Russia saying Russian banks and companies won't be able to finance themselves because of being shut out of Western bond and equity markets and denied loans from Western banks.

Russian banks and companies can issue renminbi-denominated bonds and equity in the offshore renminbi market in Hong Kong and eventually the onshore renminbi market in Shanghai.

Chinese banks are starting to lend renminbi-denominated loans to Russian companies.

Add to that more and more Russia-China trade and investment will be settled using the renminbi and ruble using the direct trading of both currencies already taking place in the MICEX in Moscow.

Russia is finding an alternate route in trade, investment, financing and technology which makes Western sanctions less effective.

I see little rooms for compromise between the demand of street protesters (backed by majority of the HK people) and Chinese leadership in Beijing. too much is at stake, for both sides. soon Xi Jinping and the hardliners will lose patience and send PLA tanks into HK.

that is indeed the endgame.

1. I guess no long-term consequences if you mean "political" consequences. Economically, as has been already mentioned by several knowledgeable members, the city has already started to felt the economic consequences of the lock-down. Now how that would help with the cause of protesters, I beg to know, given that Hong Kong is financially (more or less) independent.

Can't think of any political consequences, long or short-term, in all honesty. Mainland is the same Mainland as it was a week ago, with the majority are locked-up ensuring better prosperity as China has to take a still long way to reach a real power parity with the US.

Any intent of separation, which the protest leadership seem to have in the back of their mind, is an act of treason and unconstitutional. The consequence would be that these guys, young or all, does not matter, would be given a place next to the Uighur separatist professor.

Had it been one or two decades ago, it would have more negative implications for the central leadership in terms of legitimacy. But with China growing enormously well and the government is actually injecting further vitality to social, political and economic fabric of the society and thus enjoying much more trust and public support (much higher than Western democracies), there is nothing HK separatists could do to harm Beijing.

2. I agree with the comment in the second part of your post. Separatism is the underlined intention, not more democracy. Democracy or any similar terminology are red herrings. But, with such concepts are now becoming over-chewed gums in the mouth of teenagers, I do not know how much serious thought and deep thinking would emerge from the ongoing "struggle."

Compared with China's ideology-making capability, do the separatists hold any chance of replacing one political discourse with another? With heavy foreign assistance (CNN and all that taking obvious anti-China posture), I doubt it. With effective control of foreign meddling, no way.

Since 1989, history provided abundant examples of the consequences of doing ideological business with the West. Everything is well-recorded and open for public scrutiny: Any good coming out of the Arab Spring? How about Ukraine? Did the US care about the feelings of the youngsters when they attempted to disturb the business-as-usual in Wall Street (or several thousands miles off Wall Street, in Los Angeles?).

People are not dumb. Dumb people are dumb, sure, but, majority is not. It is often the radicals that are too excited to go out and shout, hence, they make the largest noise while the calm majority is simply watching and holding their own ideas. If there was another movement such as "Occupy the Occupy Central," that would be a larger crowd. But there is a reason why these middle class, normal working people will just go about their business.

In the end, certain people will be blacklisted, and will subject to certain state interrogation and follow-up, and their chance for a good job in government may be affected because of their criminal record.

Nothing remains the same in China; only thing that does not change is change itself. With so many things going on at the same time and at an amazing speed, the shelf life of democracy will not be too much -- just wait until the next fashion word takes over.

backed by majority of the HK people

Can your prove your claim? Or are you talking just out of blue air? We have evidence that the pro-Beijing camp showed up in greater numbers when actual (in person, with ID and signature) voting held -- than the pro-West camp's online voting.

Prove your claims or you are an academically dishonest person, which would not be at all surprising to majority of members here.

It must be very hurt to have a stupid government like CCP, isn't?

Remind me with Qing Court.

Just admit it that your government are IDIOT.
not really, once I feel something bad in politics, just visit some news on TAIWAN websites.
ALL GOOD.

Can your prove your claim? Or are you talking just out of blue air? We have evidence that the pro-Beijing camp showed up in greater numbers when actual (in person, with ID and signature) voting held -- than the pro-West camp's online voting.

Prove your claims or you are an academically dishonest person, which would not be at all surprising to majority of members here.
well, I had chance to visit chinese diaspora outside China. Most people on these countries including HK, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia want peace, prosperity and freedom. They want to be free of political percesution, not at mercy of any greedy/corrupt officials. China has a long history of denying such basic human rights to common people. Also, Chinese rulers have a long history of persecuting of business people.

qin shihuang believed to a regime of terror as he thought only that means could ensure stability and keep the empire intact. mao zedong was a follower of qin shihuang´s policy. there is little doubt that xi jinping does differently. millions of deaths are the price to pay.

many Chinese mainlanders believe the combination of money and military might can intimidate these people. that is a big mistake. similar to rediculous belief everything in the south china sea belongs to you because you have the military might to back up your claim.

Last edited:
well, I had chance to visit chinese diaspora outside China. Most people on these countries including HK, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia want peace, prosperity and freedom. They want to be free of political percesution, not at mercy of any greedy/corrupt officials. China has a long history of denying such basic human rights to common people. Also, Chinese rulers have a long history of persecuting of business people.

qin shihuang believed to a regime of terror as he thought only that means could ensure stability and keep the empire intact. mao zedong was a follower of qin shihuang´s policy. there is little doubt that xi jinping does differently. millions of deaths are the price to pay.

many Chinese mainlanders believe the combination of money and military might can intimidate these people. that is a big mistake. similar to rediculous belief everything in the south china sea belongs to you because you have the military might to back up your claim.
and I had met many viets diaspora in the UK where I lived for 10 years, and they all told me viets in vietnam are stupid, brainwashed, ungrateful, short and ugly, I had must found a truth about viets then``

China missed an opportunity after 1989 to kick out foreign NGO's, USAID, foreign media, foreign religious groups, foreign academics and lawyers that support anti-China activities, and any foreign company that engages in anti-China activities.

China's kindess was taken as weakness and now China is suffering due to stupid policies.

Hopefully this protest will result in the Sino-British agreement being abolished and see the end of the 'one country, two systems'. Hong Kong can operate as just another Chinese province. These losers have abused their privilege of being able to run independently, but now they should lose that privilege.

Hong Kong can have its legal system but the Western-style education system must be changed. CPC was going to implement a Chinese education system in Hong Kong but was cancelled due to protests by liberals. Now is the time to implement that reform through force if necessary.

Time to play hardball with Hong Kong liberals and all those anti-China foreigners.

Unleash the CPC hawks!

and I had met many viets diaspora in the UK where I lived for 10 years, and they all told me viets in vietnam are stupid, brainwashed, ungrateful, short and ugly, I had must found a truth about viets then``
no, it is you who is ugly. despite living in a western country, you failed to swallow basic common sense. repeating insulting does not make you smarter, idiot.

The following need to be kicked out PERMANENTLY:
1) USAID.
2) foreign NGO's.
3) foreign media and all their journalists.
4) foreign religious groups.
5) foreign academics and lawyers that support anti-China activities.

And severe restrictions must be placed on foreign embassy and consulate personnel.
Then ,
1. China will get sanctions from US
2. Chinese will lose their jobs in Foxconn
3. ALIBABA stock in US will go to hell, Jack Ma will go broke.
4. More Chinese kids starve to death due to their parents lose jobs.

Then ,
1. China will get sanctions from US
2. Chinese will lose their jobs in Foxconn
3. ALIBABA stock in US will go to hell, Jack Ma will go broke.
4. More Chinese kids starve to death due to their parents lose jobs.

Nope.

US needs China's massive market which many of their multinationals depend on. If those multinational lose their major source of revenue, there margins get hurt big time and their stocks get crushed.

Large amount of US jobs depend directly and indirectly on trade with China.

Federal Reserve depends on China absorbing dollars through reserve accumulation to keep US inflation low. China is the biggest absorber of US dollars which helps maintain the high marketshare of the dollar.

That depend on the which part of Taiwan.

There are democracy's dog in Taiwan, as well as Confucian patriots.

As well as in mainland too, communist's dog and Confucian patriots.

Only US is democracy.

No democracy except US.

Joshua... sound like a Christian name.

Btw, his hair style look like an IDIOT!

And the face of a MAD person.

Kind of depressing to see this....

What the hell? so you're not a Christian Democracy guy? boooo. :tdown::tdown::tdown:

And that HK guy got hipster hair and glasses. Rural backwards Confucian farmers like you can never understand his fashion style. Cute girl not thinking right. :tdown:

I have these concerns that I like to address with serious curiosity:

1. I was wondering what are the long-term consequences if the Hong Kong protesters keep locking down the city for another couple of weeks or so?

2. If these "Hong Kongers" or Hong Kongese" protesters completely choose their own city leaders as they demanded without consent from Beijing, I speculate that these new independent leaders would secretly work on a way to make Hong Kong more separated from Beijing and not closer by 2047. In other words, with each new open election in Hong Kong after 2017, a new or incumbent leader would continue to transition Hong Kong away from mainland China during each office term, away from Beijing because these elected leaders do not answer to Beijing. I suspect these are the ulterior motives of the protesters in a desperate attempt to save their "democracy" long enough after 2047. Thus, they will try to make Hong Kong further away and not closer to being absorbed by the mainland between now and 2047.

What are your thoughts?

1. It is very unlikely the protesters themselves would allow the protest to extend for such long periods of time. Hong Kong's economy runs on a tightly-knit area of land, and hence any major disruption to the workforce would hamper their financial stability to a great extent. The 1997 Asian crisis was a prime example of the vulnerabilities of an economy that is based on services and intangibles. While it may indirectly hamper business on the Chinese mainland, the drawbacks of an extended strike/protest would have far more grievous consequences for Hong Kong locals than Chinese mainlanders. Such a move will most certainly not harm CCP in any significant way as some hope it will.

2. The long term trend of a HK-mainland relationship in a hypothetical suffrage based electoral system depends heavily on the politicians involved. Despite what is being presented in the media, there are still sizable groups of Beijing supporters within the city. Please keep in mind that Western news sources tend to focus on the most salient individuals of the protest, i.e. the ones who are vehemently against Chinese influence, and hence they usually forget to report on the other side of the story. The direction of Hong Kong in a true democracy will be determined by the politicians and citizens; that's how a democracy work in its most quixotic form. If there is an electoral system that is free of Beijing's influence, then it can be guaranteed that it will be designed by the mainland such that the mainland can exert as much political clout as possible without being upfront about such matters. However, the mere prospect of a truly independent HK electoral system is nothing but a hope. Beijing and the "autonomy" has not, does not, and will not mix. Not unless somebody within the Politburo has a change of heart.

Hopefully a third party will do the honors and mediate a possible meeting between the two sides. China needs to step up her game and prove to Hong Kong that it is capable of managing it without having the city resort to chaos; actions speak louder than words.

Back
Top Bottom