What's new

China Economy Forum

Chinese Say Patents On the Way For Laser Metal 3D Printing In Space

BY TE EDWARDS · DECEMBER 8, 2014

The process of exploring space brings with it a rigorous set of limitations and requirements.

Among them is the fact that anything you’ll need on the trip had better be on board when you blast off as it’s a very long trip home if anything goes wrong.

Now the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, or CASTC, says they plan to include a 3D printer capable of producing metal components on future space missions.

CASTC is the enormous, state-owned enterprise group responsible for brands like Shenzhou and Long March, and it was sprung from what’s known as the Fifth Academy of the Ministry of National Defense back in 1956. CASTC itself was formally founded during 1999 in Beijing.

With eight large research and development production complexes around the country, the CASTC includes the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT), Academy of Aerospace Solid Propulsion Technology (AASPT), China Academy of Space Technology (CAST), Academy of Aerospace Liquid Propulsion Technology (AALPT), Sichuan Academy of Aerospace Technology (SAAT), Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology (SAST), China Aerospace Times Electronics Corporation (CATET), and China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA), along with any number of specialized companies which engage in the research, design, manufacture and launch of space systems.

And it’s very, very large.

The CASTC employs more than 120 thousand workers total and more than 30 academics from the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE).

While NASA and Made In Space have already implemented an FDM printer on the International Space Station, the Chinese say they plan to use a machine capable of creating metal parts with Selective Laser Melting technology on their spacecraft.

Used primarily for aerospace and automotive parts, SLM machines use long-wave fiber and short-wave carbon dioxide lasers to build parts from performance materials like titanium alloys, stainless steel and nickel.

Liang Feng, a senior engineer with CASTC in Shanghai, says the device can output 8 square centimeters of parts per hour, and adds that patent applications for the new device are already filed. CASTC is the foremost contractor employed by China’s space program and responsible for a large number of its technological innovations.

Feng says that in test runs, engineers have already 3D printed lens brackets for optical applications, nuclear power test equipment and the sort of impellers used in aircraft research.

The parts chosen for testing were selected as their complex, hollow and often irregular shapes were excellent representations of the new machine’s potential to create typical metallic parts which might malfunction in flight. The SLM devices work by completing a series of powder feeding and laser melting cycles which create layers down to 0.02 mm in thickness to build up a finished part.

“The products…will have to be tested thoroughly due to the strict quality requirements of aerospace products,” Feng says, but he adds that he sees a long future ahead for 3D printing in extraterrestrial applications.

Chinese Say Patents On the Way For Laser Metal 3D Printing In Space - 3DPrint.com

Last edited:
With eight large research and development production complexes around the country, the CASTC includes the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT), Academy of Aerospace Solid Propulsion Technology (AASPT), China Academy of Space Technology (CAST), Academy of Aerospace Liquid Propulsion Technology (AALPT), Sichuan Academy of Aerospace Technology (SAAT), Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology (SAST), China Aerospace Times Electronics Corporation (CATET), and China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA), along with any number of specialized companies which engage in the research, design, manufacture and launch of space systems.

Amazing knowledge pool!

China's business registration reform leads to startup boom

A recent reform to simplify China's business registration rules has led to a startup boom, with more than 2.8 million new companies established since the rules took effect in March, government data showed Monday.

There was an overall increase of 54 percent year on year. Meanwhile, total registered capital of the new companies amounted to 14.83 trillion yuan ($2.42 trillion), up 93 percent, according to data released by the State Administration for Industry and Commerce.

The new rules have injected vitality into the private sector in particular. In November alone, more than 350,000 new firms were established, of which nearly 95 percent were private companies, the data showed.

Meanwhile, the service sector saw the fastest increases in new companies, with nearly 277,900 new companies set up last month.

The State Council, China's cabinet, announced in February that it would reform business registration in an effort to ease market access by scrapping previous requirements on minimum registered capital for startups and simplifying complicated approval procedures.

The policy of streamline of administration and authorization by Xi & Li will release more vitality to China's economy. This is one of the outcomes, there will be more companies flocking into the market.

You know the Indian Rupee started at 1:1 with the dollar as well?

Now the Indian Rupee is 62 for a dollar. While the Yuan is 6 for a dollar. :lol:

Take a look at the Dollar (USD) to Chinese Yuan (CNY) exchange rate over the past 10 years:

View attachment 162669

The Yuan has been rising against the dollar, this is the inevitable trend as China keeps growing.

Soon we will be the largest importer in the world, and having a strong Yuan is important for us to buy imports and assets from other countries.

Whereas your collapsing Rupee is diminishing your overseas buying power drastically.

I am pleased to see that the thread so far remained clean and constructive barring a few distractions. :) About the value of CNY; it is expected that China may adopt a few steps to ease out the economic crisis and avoid a hard landing, which is good for the world economy. Some of the steps could be:

1. Higher stimulus packages to boost growth.

2. Devaluation of CNY to boost export.

3. Reducing interest rates to boost internal consumption.

4. Forcing down real estate prices.

All these steps will increase inflation rates attempted towards 'inflating away' the bad debts, which by any standard is huge.

Now, the inflation these measures will cause has its own significantly negative impacts in Chinese economy and social stability, some of which I have already discussed in one of my previous posts. I can elaborate the impacts again if you want. The impacts could be catastrophic btw starting a fresh cycle of NPAs.

Chinese leaders are engineerss so good planing but some democrazy is lawyer leaders

Now, the inflation these measures will cause has its own significantly negative impacts in Chinese economy and social stability, some of which I have already discussed in one of my previous posts. I can elaborate the impacts again if you want. The impacts could be catastrophic btw starting a fresh cycle of NPAs.

About non-performing assets, did you know that to buy a house in Guangzhou, you need to pay 75% of the full price upfront, as a down payment?

Compare that to America before the Credit crunch, you could buy a house for no down payment at all. In fact, not only that, but they even offered to loan you money on top of that. Hence why it was called "negative equity".

So even if they default and can't pay the rest for the house, the person who built the house will still get 75% of the money, that's huge.

Chinese banks as well are required to hold deposits in the trillions before they lend out even a fraction of that.

East Asian societies in general tend to be quite risk averse, that's why China has the highest savings rate in the world.

Ridiculous.

1+ billion people (and their children) will always need places to live.

Exactly.

We have over 10 million people moving from rural areas into urban areas every SINGLE year.

This is a scale that has never been seen before, and thus we need an infrastructure boom to match, otherwise we will never become a developed country.

If we build things, people will use it. It may take a year or two but these things fill up, I've seen it happen.

@DRAY for some reason, thinks that with a population of 1+ billion, you can be lax about infrastructure. :P

We have over 10 million people moving from rural areas into urban areas every SINGLE year.

All countries have to fight this tendency for people to concentrate in a few megalopolis areas. Governments try all kinds of incentives to promote regional development, with varying results, even with modern high speed physical and electronic communication links..

China will have to try its own set of incentives. and they will bear fruit over time.

Ridiculous.

1+ billion people (and their children) will always need places to live.

Not everyone of those 1+ billion people can afford those expensive apartments and condos, and those who can, they may not want to move to places in the middle of nowhere, they have other options in the vicinity, that's why those ghost cities exist. :)

I also need to reply to @Chinese-Dragon and @Genesis , since I participate from my mobile between my work/travelling; the response could be delayed, please accept my apology for that.

Not everyone of those 1+ billion people can afford those expensive apartments and condos, and those who can, they may not want to move to places in the middle of nowhere, they have other options in the vicinity, that's why those ghost cities exist. :)

"Expensive" houses can be made affordable with special government tax incentives.

As mentioned in my previous posts, governments have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves to promote regional settlement although, admittedly, they are hard to get results. For example. in Australia, new migrants mostly go to the big cities, despite very attractive incentives by the government to go to regional areas.

If China can build a strong communications network -- physical and electronic -- to leverage modern technology, it could set a new model for regional development.

Because I specifically said "in the last few years" in my post?

Reading comprehension. :lol:

The Rupee started out at 1 : 1 with the dollar. Now it 62.

Whereas in the last few years, the Chinese Yuan has been strengthening against the dollar. The last 10 years to be precise.

So what? Same thing happened with china also. Yen 100 VS a USD. And USD is 1.56 and 1.23 against Euro?

"Expensive" houses can be made affordable with special government tax incentives.

As mentioned in my previous posts, governments have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves to promote regional settlement although, admittedly, they are hard to get results. For example. in Australia, new migrants mostly go to the big cities, despite very attractive incentives by the government to go to regional areas.

If China can build a strong communications network -- physical and electronic -- to leverage modern technology, it could set a new model for regional development.

I will reply to this post together with Genesis's post, please wait for some time.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom