What's new

China Economy Forum

Since you like our ghost cities so much. BTW, you didn't even nail the one major problem we do have with our massive urbanization. lol

you are telling people to see India, but without seeing China you are making these judgements.

Then you say India is doing good, even though it's growing far slower even as a percentage.

Tell me who should get the benefit of the doubt, our massively successful economy for three decades, or yours for three years.

Again, it's perception and not about India in particular.

New Documentary Explores the Less Ghostly Side of China’s Ordos - China Real Time Report - WSJ

New Documentary Explores the Less Ghostly Side of China’s Ordos

BN-FX393_Ordos_G_20141208033856.jpg

Ordos has long been one of China’s most well-known ghost cities. A new documentary explores another side to the region.

Song Ting and Adam Smith
On arriving in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, filmmakers Adam Smith and Song Ting found a city far less ghostly than they expected.

After seeing numerous media reports labeling Ordos one of China’s most notorious “ghost cities,” the duo were intrigued. In person, however, they found a story they thought was even more compelling: the government’s efforts to relocate erstwhile corn and potato farmers into these newly built neighborhoods.

Their film, “The Land of Many Palaces,” premiering in January, explores China’s ambitious urbanization drive, focused in particular on the experience of one government official trying to persuade farmers to trade in land for new lives.

China Real Time spoke with Mr. Smith and Ms. Ting spoke about their documentary. Edited excerpts:

What inspired the name of the documentary?

Mr. Smith: The meaning of Ordos in the traditional language means ‘many palaces.’ I think it refers to this ancient story that Ordos became known for – of Genghis Khan making his way through the land and erecting tents. The current meaning for us refers to the development of wealth in the region, the luxury villa developments and palatial hotels and museums and apartment communities. There’s a great deal of luxury there.

Why did you pick Ordos as a subject?

Mr. Smith: We were interested in ghost cities, and even though there are quite a few examples, Ordos was the most interesting example for a few reasons. Partly its isolation, the cinematic romance associated with its surroundings — grasslands and desert. Initially it was Ordos’s ghostliness that attracted us, but what we found most interesting was that it was a city coming into itself, it was becoming something. We uncovered this plan in which the government was going to heroic efforts to move the rural population into this new city [of Kangbashi].

It’s been kind of a slow process because they’re not forced relocations. We follow a government official whose job was to go out to villages and persuade farmers to move in exchange for compensation, an apartment and perhaps money.

How successful has the relocation push been?

Ms. Ting: The numbers released at the end of 2010 said the city was built for 300,000 people. But then in the end of 2010, they only had a population of 30,000. This year we are looking for accurate data, so far I don’t think it’s been released. But you can feel there are a lot more people, maybe about 100,000.

How does this fit more broadly into China’s urbanization push?

Mr. Smith: There’s a larger plan in China over the next 15-20 years to relocate 250 million rural people into cities. We were interested in using Ordos as a conduit to explore this larger urbanization plan and this trend not only in China, but around the world. In 2008, humanity reached the point where there were more people living in cities than in rural places. We wanted to explore what the implications of that are.

BN-FX394_ordos_G_20141208034218.jpg

Farmer Hao Shiwen, one of the last remaining farmers in his village, stands with his sheep in November 2012.

Song Ting and Adam Smith
What were the responses of the farmers you talked to?

Ms. Ting: Five years ago the government was very rich and more generous giving compensation packages. Then the financial crisis happened and so the compensation farmers are getting now is a great deal lower than at the beginning of this process.

Mr. Smith: A lot of foreign people think it’s a bad thing that the government is relocating people to cities, that it’s terrible they’re taking away their traditional way of life, etc. I sort of changed my thinking process a bit during the making of this film. I think quite a lot of the people who have moved into the city from rural areas are quite happy they now have modern facilities. Not all of them, but a few of them we spoke to. A lot of farmers are struggling in Ordos — even by Chinese standards, they are really very poor, it’s a pretty arid region.

Ms. Ting: I’ve also heard that in other newly built cities in China, farmers are given huge compensation. Some of them ended up getting more than one apartment, so they have the ability to rent out their extra housing and they are making profit out of it. But that didn’t happen in Ordos because there’s not many outsiders who come to work or live in the new city. So even if they have extra housing, it’s not more profit for them.

What do relocated farmers do in the city? What are their employment prospects like?

Ms. Ting: Most young people turn to jobs in bigger cities. When we visited Ordos, most of the people we saw were seniors old enough not to have a job anymore. Some mid-aged farmers are still trying to work, but jobs they can find are either cleaning or physical labor work. Now they’re trying to attract more big factories so these farmers can have jobs.

Mr. Smith: An interesting thing we saw was the amount of people there who are sort of employed in pointless jobs. For example, on the empty highway surrounding the city in the winter, you see a lot of people sweeping up sand after sandstorms. And the next day there’d be a sandstorm and people go out and sweep some more. You get the sense the government, because they’ve moved these people, they have to create some jobs for them. But a lot of people are just given these meaningless jobs that don’t have much of a point.

Tell me about the government worker you profile.

Mr. Smith: When we were there, her job was helping ex-farmers adapt to urban life in her community and organize events for them to participate in. We also shot her going out to try and persuade one family in an abandoned village to move. It was a farming couple, an old lady and an old man. I think it was maybe her third or fourth visit to try and persuade them to move. These people weren’t budging, even though their life wasn’t great in the countryside. She was saying, in the cities you can relax, watch movies, go dancing, play mahjong, etc. They were just saying we’re not interested, we want to stay here.

– Edited from an interview with Te-Ping Chen

Before I read this long article and reply, I would like to make it clear that this thread is not about India, neither I am asking anybody to come to India to prove any point, and wheather India is doing good or not is not a topic of this discussion, we have enough of 'this vs that' threads already, please don't make it another one.

I will comment about the article once I read it.

why dont you share with us how you arrived to this conclusion
1. PRC is yet to reach soviet heights.
2. Chinese people will spent in a post soviet Russia, if not worse. (what ever that means. Last time I checked they have alot better livings standards than indians. " Does that mean they will still have a better life than you despite all this failings?

India to push China to deliver on investment promise | Business Line

NEW DELHI, OCTOBER 14:

India is getting its act together to persuade China to start delivering on its promise of investing $20 billion into the country made during Chinese Premier Xi Jinping’s visit last month.

The Commerce Ministry has called a meeting of various ministries and departments, including IT, industry, chemicals & pharmaceuticals, power, new and renewable energy, and roads and railways to draw plans on how investments can be facilitated into these sectors from China.

The Indian Embassy in China has also been asked to organise meetings with senior officials including the Chinese Trade Minister to discuss their road-map for investing in India, a Government official toldBusinessLine.

“Big announcements made during important visits often slide off the priority list once dignitaries go back home. But with China we do not want that to happen. We will therefore push from all sides to ensure that what was promised is delivered,” the official said.

The Commerce Ministry is preparing working papers in various areas identified by China in its five-year plan for bilateral cooperation with India such as railways, roads, pharmaceuticals, IT, nuclear and solar energy.

To persuade private companies in China to invest in India, the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) will coordinate with various industry associations there to identify the obstacles they face while investing in India and sort out their problems.

“A number of Chinese companies, especially in the telecom and construction sectors like Huawei and Longnjan Road, are not happy with their experience in India. We have to remove their apprehensions,” the official said.

During Xi’s visit China agreed to invest in two industrial parks, one each in Maharashtra and Gujarat. In Railways, it agreed to invest in increasing sturdiness of the rail network to allow fast trains. It also promised to invest $20 billion in India and work towards bridging the trade gap.

With India’s trade deficit with China widening to $36 billion in 2013-14 – which is more than a fourth of the country’s total trade deficit – New Delhi had pressed hard for measures to narrow the gap.

Good news India will benefit from Chinese Experience in Rail & Industrial parks

The biggest builder of China (probably the world) is saying that the real estate bubble is dangerous and will lead to a disaster, you want that link too? :)

There are many other such examples too. But that is not enough to cause an economic crisis in China . Another example is the ship building industry. Look up that too...

China is as smart as Soviet Union... It indeed had it years of "glory" for a few odd decades.

Unfortunately for you, much of your remaining life will be spent in a chine se equivalent of "post-soviet Russia", if not worse.

Only thing is that the people's republic doesn't seem to reaching soviet heights, before its demise.

I don't want to be a part of this India vs China debate, but USSR was never a wealthier nation that USA. So China has actually gone higher than SU. That's because China has a better mix of communism/capitalism. It's very open when it comes to business.

China is doing great as it is。

Our neighbours can either copy our model or stick to their own modes of development。

In so far as infrastructure investments are concerned,there aren't many who are as smart and efficient as the Chinese。:D
india should stick to their old model. It would be a complete failure if they tried to copy China's model because the world know it now. Other countries will be hard going after the same money for investment.

I don't see india winning the FDI war against other cleaner countries with basic sanitation, higher literacy rate and do not practice open racism (in the form of caste system).

China is as smart as Soviet Union... It indeed had it years of "glory" for a few odd decades.

Unfortunately for you, much of your remaining life will be spent in a chine se equivalent of "post-soviet Russia", if not worse.

Only thing is that the people's republic doesn't seem to reaching soviet heights, before its demise.
Said the boy from a shit hole subcontinent (yes, not even a continent)

:rofl:

You don't know what you just said.

However, please refrain from posting off-topic posts or post of no value, and don't abuse others, these are bad manners when we are trying to have a meaningful debate here. Please don't post if you have nothing of value to contribute here.

Since you like our ghost cities so much. BTW, you didn't even nail the one major problem we do have with our massive urbanization. lol

you are telling people to see India, but without seeing China you are making these judgements.

Then you say India is doing good, even though it's growing far slower even as a percentage.

Tell me who should get the benefit of the doubt, our massively successful economy for three decades, or yours for three years.

Again, it's perception and not about India in particular.

New Documentary Explores the Less Ghostly Side of China’s Ordos - China Real Time Report - WSJ

New Documentary Explores the Less Ghostly Side of China’s Ordos

BN-FX393_Ordos_G_20141208033856.jpg

Ordos has long been one of China’s most well-known ghost cities. A new documentary explores another side to the region.

Song Ting and Adam Smith
On arriving in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, filmmakers Adam Smith and Song Ting found a city far less ghostly than they expected.

After seeing numerous media reports labeling Ordos one of China’s most notorious “ghost cities,” the duo were intrigued. In person, however, they found a story they thought was even more compelling: the government’s efforts to relocate erstwhile corn and potato farmers into these newly built neighborhoods.

Their film, “The Land of Many Palaces,” premiering in January, explores China’s ambitious urbanization drive, focused in particular on the experience of one government official trying to persuade farmers to trade in land for new lives.

China Real Time spoke with Mr. Smith and Ms. Ting spoke about their documentary. Edited excerpts:

What inspired the name of the documentary?

Mr. Smith: The meaning of Ordos in the traditional language means ‘many palaces.’ I think it refers to this ancient story that Ordos became known for – of Genghis Khan making his way through the land and erecting tents. The current meaning for us refers to the development of wealth in the region, the luxury villa developments and palatial hotels and museums and apartment communities. There’s a great deal of luxury there.

Why did you pick Ordos as a subject?

Mr. Smith: We were interested in ghost cities, and even though there are quite a few examples, Ordos was the most interesting example for a few reasons. Partly its isolation, the cinematic romance associated with its surroundings — grasslands and desert. Initially it was Ordos’s ghostliness that attracted us, but what we found most interesting was that it was a city coming into itself, it was becoming something. We uncovered this plan in which the government was going to heroic efforts to move the rural population into this new city [of Kangbashi].

It’s been kind of a slow process because they’re not forced relocations. We follow a government official whose job was to go out to villages and persuade farmers to move in exchange for compensation, an apartment and perhaps money.

How successful has the relocation push been?

Ms. Ting: The numbers released at the end of 2010 said the city was built for 300,000 people. But then in the end of 2010, they only had a population of 30,000. This year we are looking for accurate data, so far I don’t think it’s been released. But you can feel there are a lot more people, maybe about 100,000.

How does this fit more broadly into China’s urbanization push?

Mr. Smith: There’s a larger plan in China over the next 15-20 years to relocate 250 million rural people into cities. We were interested in using Ordos as a conduit to explore this larger urbanization plan and this trend not only in China, but around the world. In 2008, humanity reached the point where there were more people living in cities than in rural places. We wanted to explore what the implications of that are.

BN-FX394_ordos_G_20141208034218.jpg

Farmer Hao Shiwen, one of the last remaining farmers in his village, stands with his sheep in November 2012.

Song Ting and Adam Smith
What were the responses of the farmers you talked to?

Ms. Ting: Five years ago the government was very rich and more generous giving compensation packages. Then the financial crisis happened and so the compensation farmers are getting now is a great deal lower than at the beginning of this process.

Mr. Smith: A lot of foreign people think it’s a bad thing that the government is relocating people to cities, that it’s terrible they’re taking away their traditional way of life, etc. I sort of changed my thinking process a bit during the making of this film. I think quite a lot of the people who have moved into the city from rural areas are quite happy they now have modern facilities. Not all of them, but a few of them we spoke to. A lot of farmers are struggling in Ordos — even by Chinese standards, they are really very poor, it’s a pretty arid region.

Ms. Ting: I’ve also heard that in other newly built cities in China, farmers are given huge compensation. Some of them ended up getting more than one apartment, so they have the ability to rent out their extra housing and they are making profit out of it. But that didn’t happen in Ordos because there’s not many outsiders who come to work or live in the new city. So even if they have extra housing, it’s not more profit for them.

What do relocated farmers do in the city? What are their employment prospects like?

Ms. Ting: Most young people turn to jobs in bigger cities. When we visited Ordos, most of the people we saw were seniors old enough not to have a job anymore. Some mid-aged farmers are still trying to work, but jobs they can find are either cleaning or physical labor work. Now they’re trying to attract more big factories so these farmers can have jobs.

Mr. Smith: An interesting thing we saw was the amount of people there who are sort of employed in pointless jobs. For example, on the empty highway surrounding the city in the winter, you see a lot of people sweeping up sand after sandstorms. And the next day there’d be a sandstorm and people go out and sweep some more. You get the sense the government, because they’ve moved these people, they have to create some jobs for them. But a lot of people are just given these meaningless jobs that don’t have much of a point.

Tell me about the government worker you profile.

Mr. Smith: When we were there, her job was helping ex-farmers adapt to urban life in her community and organize events for them to participate in. We also shot her going out to try and persuade one family in an abandoned village to move. It was a farming couple, an old lady and an old man. I think it was maybe her third or fourth visit to try and persuade them to move. These people weren’t budging, even though their life wasn’t great in the countryside. She was saying, in the cities you can relax, watch movies, go dancing, play mahjong, etc. They were just saying we’re not interested, we want to stay here.

– Edited from an interview with Te-Ping Chen

I didn't go into the detailed discussion about ghost cities as this is beyond the scope of this thread, too many topics together makes a thread troll thread. However, this article actually points out the problems with this particular ghost city rather than showing it as a success or even a partial success. Please read the article once. I have highlighted a few parts for you.

I visited a primary school yesterday, there was a 9-years-old boy trying to give a piece of his 'expertise' to the IT guy how to fix the teaching software just right before the class```

he went: "whenever my computer stuck, I reboot it, uncle uncle (how to address adult by the kids with curtsy in China ), can you reboot it, it will work"

the school IT guy ignored him, and fixed the software in seconds

So I reckon primitive Indian lecturing or even giving a piece of their 'expertise' in economy to China is even more ludicrous than that 9-years-old boy's cute attempt

I didn't go into the detailed discussion about ghost cities as this is beyond the scope of this thread, too many topics together makes a thread troll thread. However, this article actually points out the problems with this particular ghost city rather than showing it as a success or even a partial success. Please read the article once. I have highlighted a few parts for you.

The highlighted parts shows more your perception than anything else.

It is a slow process, it always is. You are asking people to change their entire life up to that point, not everyone is up for it, for better or worse, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.

These are mostly old people, oldish people, which also explains the jobs thing.

You look at China and you expect immediate success, as I have previously pointed out, this "Ghost" city is only suppose to have 300,000, 1 million or more population cities are more than 160. So look there.

This kind of city don't have to be successful, it just have to be self sustaining, and one day it will be. Even this don't have to be 100% true.

You are using this kind of example as an example for all of China, if you were to go into an American small town, they would also not be that busy, as is the case here.

If your argument was because we have this type of city, it shows the difficulties and the challenges we face fine, but that's not what you are saying is it.

You know the Indian Rupee started at 1:1 with the dollar as well?

Now the Indian Rupee is 62 for a dollar. While the Yuan is 6 for a dollar. :lol:

Looka at the DATA i pest here with.

period CNY/USD CNY/ EUR

period CNY/USD
1980 1.5
1981 1.7
1982 1.89
1983 1.98
1984 2.32
1985 2.9366
1986 3.4528
1987 3.7221
1988 3.7221
1989 3.7651
1990 4.7832
1991 5.3233
1992 5.5146
1993 5.762
1994 8.6212
1995 8.349
1996 8.3143
1997 8.2897
1998 8.2791
1999 8.2783
2000 8.2783
2001 8.277
2002 8.277
2003 8.277
2004 8.2765
Jan-04 8.277
Feb-04 8.2771
Mar-04 8.2771
Apr-04 8.277
May-04 8.2769
Jun-04 8.2766
Jul-04 8.2769
Aug-04 8.2767
Sep-04 8.2766
Oct-04 8.2765
Nov-04 8.2765
Dec-04 8.2765
Jan-05 8.2765
Feb-05 8.2765
Mar-05 8.2765
Apr-05 8.2765
May-05 8.2765
Jun-05 8.2765
Jul-05 8.108
Aug-05 8.0973
Sep-05 8.093
Oct 2005 8.084
Nov-05 8.0796
Dec-05 8.0702
Jan-06 8.0608
Feb-06 8.0415
Mar-06 8.017
Apr-06 8.0165
May-06 8.0188

Look how Chinese uan down by 5 and half time in 25 pears. Now apply your logic here also. On the othe hand Depriciation of Indian rupee was almost same i.e less than 5.5 times. I do not know why you guys becomes so selective when it comes to comperrision and unwilling to accept truth.

Let us hope that they are not Ghost cities and bridges over the rivers where they are not required. Let us hope that these peoject do not add to that 6.8 TR usd useless investment.

Take a look at the Dollar (USD) to Chinese Yuan (CNY) exchange rate over the past 10 years:

upload_2014-12-9_0-48-21.png

The Yuan has been rising against the dollar, this is the inevitable trend as China keeps growing.

Soon we will be the largest importer in the world, and having a strong Yuan is important for us to buy imports and assets from other countries.

Whereas your collapsing Rupee is diminishing your overseas buying power drastically.

If it were not good for China, they would not criticize it. That's for sure. :)

True。

Always do the opposite of what our enemies or competitors want of us。:enjoy:

We might teach our Indian friends a thing or two if they are on their best behaviour。

If not。。。they are on their own :D

China produces first space-based 3D printing machine - Xinhua | English.news.cn

China produces first space-based 3D printing machine

English.news.cn

2014-12-08 13:15:50

SHANGHAI, Dec. 8 (Xinhua) -- Scientists have produced a 3D printing machine, the first of its kind in China, which astronauts will be able to use while on space missions, according to the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC) on Monday.

The machine is capable of printing optical lens brackets used in spaceborne equipment, complicated components used in nuclear power testing equipment, impellers used in aircraft research and special-shaped gears used in automobile engines, said Wang Lianfeng, a senior engineer with CASTC Shanghai's research arm.

The machine, which uses both long-wave fiber and short-wave carbon dioxide lasers, can produce items smaller than 250 millimeters.

The machine, which looks like a gray cabinet, can fashion items out of stainless steel, titanium alloy and nickel-based superalloy.

"The products made will have to be tested thoroughly, due to the strict quality requirements of aerospace products," said Wang, adding that the prospect for 3D printing is promising.

Additive manufacturing, which 3D printing is also known as, is the processes in which three-dimensional objects are made through the layering of material. It is advancing rapidly and is increasingly used for industrial purposes.

True。

Always do the opposite of what our enemies or competitors want of us。:enjoy:

We might teach our Indian friends a thing or two if they are on their best behaviour。

If not。。。they are on their own :D

It is better for China to ignore them alone and stay steady on what China thinks is right for its people who have so far built a strong country with a lot more to be done.

It is a nowhere to be a smooth process. Mistakes are bound to be made and lesson to be learned. National economy has to factor in external factors as well as internal. External factors are harder (or impossible) to control, so, as the Chinese government knows very well, the key is to build a strong domestic economy with healthy manufacturing and consumption built on a state-of-the-art infrastructure.

Every penny spent on infrastructure is worth it.

Take the Indian example, and do not do what they do.

india should stick to their old model. It would be a complete failure if they tried to copy China's model because the world know it now. Other countries will be hard going after the same money for investment.

I don't see india winning the FDI war against other cleaner countries with basic sanitation, higher literacy rate and do not practice open racism (in the form of caste system).

:rofl:

India is a blessing for China as an example as to what not to do. It is so amazingly efficient that it has no ghost cities. As a matter of fact, they almost entirely lack a city in the modern sense of the word; you know, sanitation, sewage and all useless stuff. They better stick with their system and keep criticizing China's so that they remain contend.

Last edited:
You know the Indian Rupee started at 1:1 with the dollar as well?

Now the Indian Rupee is 62 for a dollar. While the Yuan is 6 for a dollar. :lol:

Take a look at the Dollar (USD) to Chinese Yuan (CNY) exchange rate over the past 10 years:

View attachment 162669

The Yuan has been rising against the dollar, this is the inevitable trend as China keeps growing.

Soon we will be the largest importer in the world, and having a strong Yuan is important for us to buy imports and assets from other countries.

Whereas your collapsing Rupee is diminishing your overseas buying power drastically.

Why are you so selective andwant to discuss the period in whivh Yuan got strong. You too have a history of uan going down by 6 tomes in 20 years.

Look at INR in vajpayee era. It has touched Rs 39.
2000 43.50[17]
2005 (Jan) 43.47[17]
2006 (Jan) 45.19[17]
2007 (Jan) 39.42[17]

History of the rupee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your selective Presentation is nothing but except your wishful thinking.

Why are you so selective andwant to discuss the period in whivh Yuan got strong. You too have a history of uan going down by 6 tomes in 20 years.

Look at INR in vajpayee era. It has touched Rs 39.
2000 43.50[17]
2005 (Jan) 43.47[17]
2006 (Jan) 45.19[17]
2007 (Jan) 39.42[17]

History of the rupee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your selective Presentation is nothing but except your wishful thinking.

Because I specifically said "in the last few years" in my post?

Reading comprehension. :lol:

The Rupee started out at 1 : 1 with the dollar. Now it 62.

Whereas in the last few years, the Chinese Yuan has been strengthening against the dollar. The last 10 years to be precise.

Mobile spending picks up speed - Headlines, features, photo and videos from ecns.cn|china|news|chinanews|ecns|cns

U541P886T1D145866F12DT20141209084728.jpg

Shopping via mobile phones is fast becoming the main option for spending money in China, with transactions from the not-so-developed western region of the country being the driving force, a report said on Monday.

The report, prepared by Alipay, the payment arm of e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd, said more than half of all online payment transactions were made with mobile phones so far this year.

Payments through mobile phones accounted for 54 percent of all transactions conducted over Alipay in the first 10 months of the year while it accounted for 22 percent of the total payment volume last year.

Inland regions in the western part of the country are fast becoming the powerhouse that is driving mobile shopping. Tibet autonomous region, Shaanxi province and Ningxia Hui autonomous region enjoyed the highest share of mobile payments during the first 10 months of the year, at 62.2 percent, 59.6 percent and 58.3 percent, respectively.

In contrast, the well-developed cities of Beijing and Shanghai, and Guangdong province, only saw 29 percent, 24 percent and 27 percent of transactions conducted through mobile phones.

Experts said the lack of broadband telecommunications infrastructure and the decreasing cost of mobile phones have been the main growth drivers for mobile e-commerce in the inland regions.

"As mobile penetration in rural China far outpaces fixed-line Internet penetration and with continued upgrades to mobile network connectivity and the popularity of new devices, it is natural that consumers are rapidly taking up mobile shopping," said Burghardt Groeber, an e-commerce expert and vice-president of greater China for enterprise software provider hybris AG, a division of Germany-based software giant SAP AG.

According to a report published by hybris earlier this year, the size of the mobile shopping market in China is expected to reach 1 trillion yuan ($162 billion) by the end of 2017 while the size of the entire online shopping market in the country in 2013 was 1.8 trillion yuan.

Despite the growing popularity of mobile shopping in western China, it is still the cities in the developed eastern regions that rank higher in terms of absolute amount of shopping online.

According to Alipay's consumer spending report, online shoppers in Guangdong, Zhejiang and Jiangsu provinces, Shanghai and Beijing combined have accounted for more than 55 percent of total China-based Alipay payments over the past decade. The number of payments that have been settled by Chinese people through the Alipay platform since its inception in December 2004 is about 42.3 billion, it said.

People living in Hangzhou, Zhejiang, where Alipay's parent company Alibaba is based, ranked top in annual spending per capita in 2014 with average spending of about 44,197 yuan per head.

However, small cities showed the strongest growth momentum in online spending. The Alipay report said cities in the remote Tibet and Xinjiang Uygur autonomous regions were among the places where online spending is growing fast.

@cirr , @Chinese-Dragon , it is refreshing to see that the online-shopping is picking up in China, especially in the remote, less developed areas, helping bridge the gap between the various regions/provinces of China.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom