What's new

China Economy Forum

MIPS and ARM core low-power CPU, BeiJing did the right thing !

China to build $1bn Gallic-themed 'film city' and Cannes-style festival

Chinese authorities, who are working with Cannes counterparts on film festival, are planning film-themed tourist centre three hours from Shanghai

theguardian.com, Wednesday 23 July 2014 12.02 BST

Is-China-to-get-its-very--009.jpg

Is China to get its very own version of the Palme D'Or? Photograph: Christian Hartmann/Reuters
China plans to create an ambitious $1bn Cannes-style film festival in the eastern coastal province of Zheijiang, according to China Daily.

Chinese authorities are teaming with counterparts in the French city, which has hosted the event since 1946, to bring a similar festival to the county of Anji. The aim is to build a Gallic-themed "film city" and tourist centre in one of China's most scenic regions, which is known for its bamboo forests and is a pilot region for green building. (It produces 12m commerical bamboo poles annually and boasts China's largest bamboo nursery.)

Xiao Wunan, of the Asia Pacific Exchange and Cooperation Foundation, told China Daily that the program was aimed at establishing a milestone for film in the world's most populous nation. "This film festival should also maintain strong Chinese features. We hope this program can push China's film industry to a higher level."

Anji was only connected to the Chinese national network of highways between 2000 and 2002, and it remains one of the country's less-developed regions. However, it now takes fewer than three hours to reach Shanghai by car and the area has increasingly attracted investment from China and abroad.

China to build $1bn Gallic-themed 'film city' and Cannes-style festival | Film | theguardian.com

CCP love fancy thing like this.

But forget to encourage local movie maker make a Hollywood movie, if not, even better.

I prefer old movies and drama.

Above is 上海滩. Up till now, she is still a masterpiece. The opening music is still Cantopop classic.

Last edited:

I prefer old movies and drama.

Above is 上海滩. Up till now, she is still a masterpiece. The opening music is still Cantopop classic.

The quality of films is correlated to the economy. Japanese films was the greatest in the Asian industry in the 70s. Then HK rose up in 80s. Then their cinema quality went down as their economy stagnate. So it is inevitable that PRC cinema will be the top soon with its strong economy. The only thing they need to worry is censorship that is too strict.

The quality of films is correlated to the economy. Japanese films was the greatest in the Asian industry in the 70s. Then HK rose up in 80s. Then their cinema quality went down as their economy stagnate. So it is inevitable that PRC cinema will be the top soon with its strong economy. The only thing they need to worry is censorship that is too strict.

They wont have another Shanghai Tan, trust me. It correlates with the moral and cultural outlook of people as well.

CCP love fancy thing like this.

But forget to encourage local movie maker make a Hollywood movie, if not, even better.

Your comment is a contradiction. The fact that they create these parks and festival is to encourage and promote their film industry.

Film festivals allow audience to enjoy quality local and world cinema. Local and foreign film makers and learn each others film industry. They can also network with each other.

They wont have another Shanghai Tan, trust me. It correlates with the moral and cultural outlook of people as well.

I think the moral and cultural outlook of the average people will only dictate how well and which kind of films will be received/becomes popular.

I personally believe artists (film makers, writers, etc) are a special breed of people that do not always follow mainstream culture. Thus, they can still produce brilliant work of arts even if the outlook and culture of the people surrounding them is sh!tty.

How well the general public welcome their work, that's another issue.

Last edited:

There was an energy and sense of bravado back in those days. Movies were produced in the hundreds and many shone to become cult favorites to thus day. TVB has gone down the toilet with generic cookie cutter actors and singers.

There was an energy and sense of bravado back in those days. Movies were produced in the hundreds and many shone to become cult favorites to thus day. TVB has gone down the toilet with generic cookie cutter actors and singers.

What about Ann Hui's A Simple Life?

That film is quality cinema man. I would say it's gonna be a classic.

Your comment is a contradiction. The fact that they create these parks and festival is to encourage and promote their film industry.

Film festivals allow audience to enjoy quality local and world cinema. Local and foreign film makers and learn each others film industry. They can also network with each other.

I think the moral and cultural outlook of the average people will only dictate how well and which kind of films will be received/becomes popular.

I personally believe artists (film makers, writers, etc) are a special breed of people that do not always follow mainstream culture. Thus, they can still produce brilliant work of arts even if the outlook and culture of the people surrounding them is sh!tty.

How well the general public welcome their work, that's another issue.

looks like you are films lover..

i think the best film director in china is wong kar wai...
his best film is happy together

really good movies with great story

You're right bro. Even their music composers nowadays cannot produce anything decent. After Joseph Koo and Wong Jim, they don't have anymore composers. Pretty sad. There is no comparison to the melodic music of the 70s-80s Canto dramas and Wuxia.

WKW do not make money for the studio. His "masterpiece" Grandmaster is totally garbage with the wrong actors portraying the wrong characters.

You want to make money, you stick to Wong Jing as director.

His latest is Once upon a time in Shanghai. Good movie.

Another one of my favorite. 小李飞刀。I am fortunate to born in the years, to enjoy good music and drama. Nowadays I am going for months without TV.

The demise of HK music, TV and movie is apparent.

LOL I haven't seen Happy together. I'm too manly to watch that movie. But A simple life made me cry.

Another one of my favorite. 小李飞刀。I am fortunate to born in the years, to enjoy good music and drama. Nowadays I am going for months without TV.

The demise of HK music, TV and movie is apparent.
This one is a bit slow and choreography is not as good. I think 楚留香, 絕代雙驕, 英雄出少年 are some of the decent series

This one is a bit slow and choreography is not as good. I think 楚留香, 絕代雙驕, 英雄出少年 are some of the decent series

The graphic effects and fight choreography of hk historic dramas from 80s-90s are ALL terrible and comical if you watch it again. But the enjoyment of watching them cannot be matched by the more modern PRC historic dramas.

The best is comedy drama from the 90s.

:enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom