What's new

China conducts test on ground-based midcourse missile interception

With Defense Test, China Shows Displeasure of U.S.

BEIJING — China said it had successfully tested the nation’s first land-based missile defense system, announcing the news late Monday in a brief dispatch by Xinhua, the official news agency. “The test is defensive in nature and is not targeted at any country,” the item said.

Even if news accounts on Tuesday did not provide details about the test — and whether it destroyed its intended target — Chinese and Western analysts say there is no mistaking that the timing of the test, coming amid Beijing’s fury over American arms sales to Taiwan, was largely aimed at the White House.

In recent days, state media outlets have been producing a torrent of articles condemning the sale of Patriot air defense equipment to Taiwan. China views the self-ruled island as a breakaway province, separated since the civil war of the 1940s, and sees arms sales as interference in an internal matter.

The Defense and Foreign Ministries have released a half-dozen warnings over the weapons deal, saying it would have grave consequences for United States-China relations. The state-run Global Times newspaper urged readers to come up with ways to retaliate against the United States.

Writing in the Study Times newspaper, Maj. Gen. Jun Yinan said that China had the power to strike back. “We must take countermeasures to make the other side pay a corresponding price and suffering corresponding punishment,” wrote General Jun, a professor at China’s National Defense University.

Although most analysts doubt the Chinese will seek to punish the United States in a significant way — retaliatory measures over past arms sales have included the suspension of military talks — the especially vociferous response may herald rockier relations between the countries as they confront differences over monetary policy, trade issues, Iran and North Korea.

“For the Chinese, selling arms to Taiwan feels like a slap in the face,” said Shi Yinhong, a professor of United States-Chinese relations at People’s University in Beijing. “I think the government expected something different from Obama, especially so soon after his visit to China.”

The White House said it was simply fulfilling a deal that was negotiated during the Bush administration. It also pointed out that the sale, approved by the Pentagon last week, omits F-16 fighter jets and Black Hawk helicopters, a concession to Beijing.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking in California on Monday, said she thought the strain in relations would be brief and mild. “It doesn’t go off the rails when we have differences of opinions,” she said of the relationship with China.

Relations may get bumpier in the coming weeks when President Obama meets with the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader whom China accuses of being a separatist, and President Ma Ying-jeou of Taiwan makes a brief visit to the United States. Overseas visits by Taiwanese officials invariably irk Beijing.

Arthur Ding, a research fellow at the Institute of International Relations in Taipei, the Taiwanese capital, said China may have thought its growing economic might and the improving cross-strait relations fostered by President Ma during his 20 months in office might have persuaded the United States to put off any weapons deal.

“Perhaps Beijing has unrealistic expectations,” he said. “I think they imagined their influence is greater than it is.”

For all the saber-rattling over the arms sale, some analysts say the official invective and anti-missile demonstration may have been largely aimed at domestic audiences, who increasingly expect their leaders to stand up to the West.

Zhu Feng, deputy director of the Center for Strategic and International Studies at Peking University, described China’s missile defense system as experimental and “not really meaningful” and said the test’s real purpose was an opportunity for the People’s Liberation Army to strut.

Despite China’s newfound confidence, he said the government is increasingly frustrated by its inability to influence the United States on an issue that has bedeviled Beijing for decades.

“China still lacks the leverage to force the White House to stop these sales,” he said. “So they feel like they must make a lot of noise.”

Jonathan Ansfield contributed reporting, and Li Bibo contributed research

Source : News Analysis - Missile Interceptor Test Indicates China’s Anger Over U.S. Arms Sales to Taiwan - NYTimes.com

Oh mean! The perfect answer from chinese to USA ... truely chinese they're very expert in high level diplomacy ... I am speechless ...We should learn from chinese they talk little and do more job .... I really appreciate ...

Dont care what NY Times says, their editor couldnt tell the difference between midcourse interception and THAAD, what a joke.

AFP: China did not notify US before anti-missile test: Pentagon
"We detected two geographically separated missile launch events with a exo-atmospheric collision also being observed by space-based sensors," she said after China announced a successful test of its missile intercept system.

"We are requesting information from China regarding the purpose for conducting this interception as well as China's intentions and plans to pursue future types of intercepts."

LOL Yep, please China, come forward and answer these questions. *sarc* What a load of BS. How about the Chinese requesting information from the US regarding the purpose for supplying American arms to Taiwan as well as US intentions and plans to pursue future arms sales.

Such news feels us good and relax! Go ahead cuteeeeeee China.

Did he really say that? If he did, I guess he really wants China to join the other P5 members of the UNSC to sanction Iran. Or, more likely, he knows that China needs Iran's oil and he can get away with such an outrageous statement. I never realized that China has such prickly "friends."

It's a tough world for superpower America and rising superpower China. Being a superpower just isn't what it used to be. Even the medium-sized countries can poke you in the eye with impunity.

I have delete what I said about Iran. Although we still could find many topic about this in Chinese Website. But it isn't be affirmed by governement.
SO, I apologize for report such a unresponsibility post.......

I believe China conducted the test to remind the US not to sell weapon to Taiwan.

USA still sells weapons to Taiwan.

This test doesn't target at USA, because USA has far more advanced nuclear and anti-missile tech. than China's.

India is obvious target - China tells India that China has far more advanced nuclear and anti-missile tech. than India's. Tell India to stop uncessary China bashing.

Last edited:
USA still sells weapons to Taiwan.

This test doesn't target at USA, because USA has far more advanced nuclear and anti-missile tech. than China's.

India is obvious target - China tells India that China has far more advanced nuclear and anti-missile tech. than India's. Tell India to stop uncessary China bashing.

India China bashing each other will continue...its part of the game....
but what is required is for China to stop interfering in indian land like akshai chin and AP....

India China bashing each other will continue...its part of the game....
but what is required is for China to stop interfering in indian land like akshai chin and AP....

How about Tibet?

Indian always support Tibet independence.

Also, there is a place called South Tibet, where British dude illegally ceded it from China to India in 1914.

I would think the missile testing is intended to be used against a possible future missile attack by countries like India, who might try to fire their limited number of Agni-3s if an all out war brakes out .China will not be able to use CNND against US in the near future because it is very unlikely that a war will brake out between US and china, and CNND won't be enough to stop hundreds' of US missiles.

How about Tibet?

Also, there is a place called South Tibet, where British dude illegally ceded it from China to India in 1914.

yes yes India should give everything to the imperialistic China...

Any place on Earth on which China does not have a claim...:rofl::rofl:

FORGET IF UR GOVT HAS THE GUTS COME TAKE AP...OR KEEP SHUT...

AND MIND U INDIAN GOVT OFFICIAL POSITION ON TIBET WONT TAKE LONG TO CHANGE ONCE UR FOOLISH CHINESE GOVT HITS AXE ON ITS OWN FOOT BY DOING ANYTHING STUPID ON AP......:P

china is the country that has the claims almost to all the countries bordering it. I just wish all these countries get toghether to bake the ***** of PLA......and each country than takes what it wants from PLA.... evrythng settled forever...:):)

How about Tibet?

and the nefarious designs of the Imperialistic cruel regime are all there for everyone to see....its open truth the Chinese are imperilistic regime.....and have grand designs to expand their terrirory with no regard to other countries....Like ALL previos imperialistic regimes of the history China one day will meet its fate..........

AND MIND U INDIAN GOVT OFFICIAL POSITION ON TIBET WONT TAKE LONG TO CHANGE ONCE UR FOOLISH CHINESE GOVT HITS AXE ON ITS OWN FOOT BY DOING ANYTHING STUPID ON AP......:P

china is the country that has the claims almost to all the countries bordering it. I just wish all these countries get toghether to bake the ***** of PLA......and each country than takes what it wants from PLA.... evrythng settled forever...:):)

Dirty India why you claim Kashmir, Tamil and Sikh lands??? :devil:

Black Indian should shut up your mouth.

Go to join NATO to librate your so-called Free Tibet from China as Kosovo from Serbia.

But I warn that Western Whites and their minions can't do anything in China as they did in 100 years before!, India and Western Whites must pay for any of your own self-destruction results!

If you Western minion dudes want India to establish diplomatic relationship with Tibet, it is easy to call Indian government to talk with Dalai Lama office.

I am loooking forward to see that Sino-Indian diplomatic relationship will have gone that time! :chilli:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom