What's new

China agrees to import rice from 17 mills in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

艹艹艹

Reaction score
Country
China
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...ce-from-17-mills-in-India/article16684600.ece
China agrees to import rice from 17 mills in India
NEW DELHI: NOVEMBER 23, 2016 00:00 IST
UPDATED: NOVEMBER 23, 2016 03:54 IST
In a major breakthrough that New Delhi had been waiting for, China has agreed to import rice, non-basmati and basmati varieties, from 17 registered mills in India, following efforts to ensure market access for Indian products in that country.

India had repeatedly sought market access for items including non-basmati rice, pharmaceuticals and many fruits and vegetables among others, citing the country’s widening goods trade deficit with China. India’s goods trade deficit with China has ballooned from $1.1 billion in 2003-04 to $52.7 billion in 2015-16.

Beetle fear

China is the world’s largest rice importer. However, Beijing had so far not granted market access to India’s non-basmati rice claiming that the item had failed to meet Chinese norms on quality, health and safety. Its apprehensions included the possibility of the Khapra beetle (or cabinet beetle) pest getting transported along with Indian non-basmati rice consignments to China.

Official sources said after numerous requests from the Indian side, Chinese officials visited India in September to inspect 19 rice mills registered with the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO). These mills are in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. To export to nations including China, it is mandatory that Indian rice exporters are registered with NPPO, the Indian government agency for inspecting the mills and granting certificates on plant health for export purposes.

The NPPO assisted its Chinese counterpart AQSIQ during the inspection for pest-risk analysis and plant quarantine purposes to ensure that the non-basmati consignments from India will be pest-free, safe and of good quality.

The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) under the Indian Commerce Ministry was also involved in the process. India had earlier sent the information sought by AQSIQ regarding the quality protocol and standard operating procedures, the sources said.

They said the Indian embassy in Beijing informed the Commerce Ministry that Chinese authorities, last week, cleared 17 of these 19 mills for rice exports to China. The Commerce Ministry has forwarded the list to APEDA and asked it to inform rice exporters to soon find customers in China.

The type of rice that Indians eat is not the same type of rice that we eat.

Unless they are specifically growing our type of rice to export to us.

Indian rice is much harder to use with chopsticks because they do not stick together as much as our ones do. Don't you wonder why Indians use spoons/hands to eat rice, you can't pick up lumps of Indian rice with chopsticks, it will fall apart. Just try going to any Indian restaurant and using chopsticks.

Last edited:

Indian rice is much harder to use with chopsticks because they do not stick together as much as our ones do. Don't you wonder why Indians use spoons/hands to eat rice, you can't pick up lumps of Indian rice with chopsticks, it will fall apart. Just try going to any Indian restaurant and using chopsticks.
So why are we even importing?

Which one has a better taste, if we forget the thing eating with the childish spoons? Easy to be digested?

Good for stir-fried rice? Yangzhouchaofan? :lol:

Good for stir-fried rice? Yangzhouchaofan? :lol:
I have bought some luxurious rice this 11.11....
Best rice i've ever had....

476yuan 3.6 kg
Now, 216 yuan!
8.8 dollars per kg, special price on 11.11

3.jpg

屏幕快照 2016-11-11 23.09.11.png

1.jpg
2.jpg
TB2mEiTuXXXXXXpXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2901274980.jpg
TB2YqGIuXXXXXbXXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2901274980.jpg

Last edited:
In Singapore, these Indian rice is used to cook Briani rice, either with mutton or chicken curry. Taste not bad, quite fluffy & loose, not sticky at all. Definitely cannot use chopstick like Chinese-Dragon said, unless you want to eat grain by grain, hahaha...

tiffin-bhavan-mutton-ribs-dalcha-ghee-rice-little-india-singapore.jpg

Which one has a better taste, if we forget the thing eating with the childish spoons? Easy to be digested?

Taste is subjective, everyone likes different things. They both taste good I think.

However after cooking with South Asian rice a few times I found that it does not synergize well with Chinese cuisine in general.

If you want to cook with South Asian rice you have to cook your meal in South Asian style. You can use chopsticks if you put a lot of sauce/curry in the rice so it becomes more sticky. It's not bad if you eat it once in a while, but I found it much easier to use our own rice.

Taste is subjective, everyone likes different things. They both taste good I think.

However after cooking with South Asian rice a few times I found that it does not synergize well with Chinese cuisine in general.

If you want to cook with South Asian rice you have to cook your meal in South Asian style. You can use chopsticks if you put a lot of sauce/curry in the rice so it becomes more sticky. It's not bad if you eat it once in a while, but I found it much easier to use our own rice.

Will try it, hope the rice's price is friendly.

there is no difference in rice grow in pakistan and india....but china is importing rice in huge quantity from pakistan till date...
few other surprising fects are that china actually stop importing cotton from india and shift to pakistan dispite the fect that pakistan itself the largest imported of cotton from india....
see , this is all mixing bussiness with politics and nothing to do with spoons and chopsticks....

I am having a nightmare just thinking about trying to pick up all those rice grains with my chopsticks. :P

I don't mind using a spoon though, and it does look quite tasty.

see , this is all mixing bussiness with politics and nothing to do with spoons and chopsticks....

I would never mix food and politics. That is a terrible thing to do.

And the chopsticks thing is pretty important, why don't you try picking up a lump of Indian rice with chopsticks and seeing if you can get more than a few grains at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom