What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Oh.

Sure but what I meant was the similarity of this with the hate or dislike some Pakistani members have for Bollywood films. :)

Yaar a movie is a movie. There is nothing to hate really. You can watch or not watch.

There are some excellent directors and technical folks in India who - by dint of a large market, has gifted us quite a few nice commercial movies worth watching. But independently judged, the majority of Bollywood commercial productions fall a bit short for my personal watching criteria. I am more of an art-film watcher.

I don't really watch Bollywood films (with a handful of rare exceptions) as they are formulaic and offer me little in terms of good visual and intellectual aesthetics, quality of drama plot (interesting twists and turns) or acting (overacting is the norm). For that matter I hardly ever watch commercial Bangla movies either, these are made with different audiences in mind, not me. Recently some Bangla movies were made that are trying to buck this trend by appealing to educated audiences and have been very successful.

Technically Bollywood has come a long way but they still have to keep up with certain commercial demands from underclass film-goers (Overlong 3 hour duration, X number of collective dance scenes, multiple formulaic plots running in parallel etc.) which are to me, cringe-worthy. The average Bollywood entertainment is not meant for non-cerebral audiences and do not portray real life in my opinion. Just personal preference.

Art movies (both Bangla and Hindi) are different. I have watched Satyajit Ray and Rittik Ghatak movies as much as Vittorio di Sica, Kurosawa flicks and enjoyed them. They were all intellectually fulfilling and time well spent.

There were some excellent Hindi short films made by aspiring hobbyist filmmakers on NETFLIX and even on YouTube that I have recently enjoyed. Can't recall names.

I like watching *some* Pakistani dramas as well. The technical quality of these dramas are better than Bangladeshi dramas and may be better than the majority of Indian formula dramas.

Last edited:
Yaar a movie is a movie. There is nothing to hate really. You can watch or not watch.

There are some excellent directors and technical folks in India who - by dint of a large market, has gifted us quite a few nice commercial movies worth watching. But independently judged, the majority of Bollywood commercial productions fall a bit short for my personal watching criteria. I am more of an art-film watcher.

I don't really watch Bollywood films (with a handful of rare exceptions) as they are formulaic and offer me little in terms of good visual and intellectual aesthetics, quality of drama plot (interesting twists and turns) or acting (overacting is the norm). For that matter I hardly ever watch commercial Bangla movies either, these are made with different audiences in mind, not me. Recently some Bangla movies were made that are trying to buck this trend by appealing to educated audiences and have been very successful.

Technically Bollywood has come a long way but they still have to keep up with certain commercial demands from underclass film-goers (Overlong 3 hour duration, X number of collective dance scenes, multiple formulaic plots running in parallel etc.) which are to me, cringe-worthy. The average Bollywood entertainment is not meant for non-cerebral audiences and do not portray real life in my opinion. Just personal preference.

Art movies (both Bangla and Hindi) are different. I have watched Satyajit Ray and Rittik Ghatak movies as much as Vittorio di Sica, Kurosawa flicks and enjoyed them. They were all intellectually fulfilling and time well spent.

There were some excellent Hindi short films made by aspiring hobbyist filmmakers on NETFLIX and even on YouTube that I have recently enjoyed. Can't recall names.

I like watching *some* Pakistani dramas as well. The technical quality of these dramas are better than Bangladeshi dramas and may be better than the majority of Indian formula dramas.

The Pakistani dramas are not "maybe" better than Indian dramas, they are better - much better. Of course there are a lot of crappy formulaic dramas pakistan produces for every excellent drama. In the dramas I actually like I always appreciate the Islamic themes they try to propagate, I can easily relate to it. Most citizens of Bangladesh don't touch pakistani dramas only because of the the hate they have for the country and any thing related to it, however I will freely admit they make some really solid dramas.

Their film industry today has a long way to go however, albeit technically slick they are pretty terrible in terms of plot and character development, and ironically strive to be like bollywood.

I was also extremely surprised that Pakistan used to make films like this back in 2007:

Looks familiar? Reminds me of the shitty 70's looking bangladeshi films our film industry used to produce until recently:

Last edited:
Most citizens of Bangladesh don't touch pakistani dramas only because of the the hate they have for the country and any thing related to it, however I will freely admit they make some really solid dramas.
More like there are barely any Pakistani channels in bd and Indian channels dominate cable services... heck I can’t count how many bengalis are regular viewer of local channels ...

As for Pakistani drama/ films... I watched one... it was a romance theme movie with some amazing song and shots... pretty good stuff tbh don’t remember the name though :/

And who doesn’t like gazal... look outside of the immediate borders as far as I’ve seen... Indians/ Pakistanis/ bengalis live together peacefully... with no regards to their countries political stances what so ever

Most citizens of Bangladesh don't touch pakistani dramas only because of the the hate they have for the country and any thing related to it

Well in my immediate family - all age groups of women are avid watchers of Pakistani soaps (the better ones) because they abhor Saas-Bahu soaps with a vengeance. They usually end up watching it on HD YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Well in my immediate family - all age groups of women are avid watchers of Pakistani soaps (the better ones) because they abhor Saas-Bahu soaps with a vengeance. They usually end up watching it on HD YouTube channel.
Don't they watch Bangladeshi Natok?

Don't they watch Bangladeshi Natok?

Bangla natoks don't have enough drama/ masala to have a hooking effect on Bangladeshis compared to Pakistani dramas or even Indian dramas for those who have low standards.

I've noticed that Bangladesh does not produce serials anymore, it's all just 50 minute telefilms now, as a result Bangladesh really does not have much a tv serial industry.

Bangla natoks don't have enough drama/ masala to have a hooking effect on Bangladeshis compared to Pakistani dramas or even Indian dramas for those who have low standards.

I've noticed that Bangladesh does not produce serials anymore, it's all just 50 minute telefilms now, as a result Bangladesh really does not have much a tv serial industry.
Bangladeshi Natok are produced for all type of people, male, female, urban, rural, educated, uneducated. Not particularly focused on woman.So melodramatic scene is very low. The story move fast as they give a conclusion within 50-60 minutes.Contents are very diverse and usually focused on a particular aspect of human experience or incidence.

Recently a 300 episode historical fantasy mega serial is running in Channel i. Set, costume, dialogue, expression,story all are quite mature and quality rich.Latest episode of that megaserial.-

Another popular comedy mega serial is Basic Ali.

Last edited:
Bangladeshi Natok are produced for all type of people, male, female, urban,rural,educated,uneducated. Not particularly focused on woman.So melodramatic scene is very low. The story move fast as they give a conclusion within 50-60 minutes.Contents are very diverse and usually focused on a particular aspect of human experience or incidence.

Recently a 300 episode historical fantasy mega serial is running in Channel i. Set, costume, dialogue, expression,story all are quite mature and quality rich.Latest episode of that megaserial.-

Another popular comedy mega serial is Basic Ali.

300 episode serial? That's just copying indian dramas then, which means the serial is just a vicious cycle of crappiness with black and white characters and forced plot devices and one conspiracy after another. On top of that the serial is based on a folk story created by a hindu Tagore lover, full of hindu themes and propaganda. Nothing to be proud of.

And please don't post anything that involves the man child Tawsif, the guys is a joke like his other man child looking buddies such as Salman Muqtadir. Unfortunately that's the kind of look bangladeshi girls dig in Bangladesh, which is kind of disappointing.

Also 1 hour telefilms are waaaaaay too short to create something substantial. It causes extreme pacing problems and sluggish writing, where you get plot development and character development from point A to B in only one scene usually near the end of the film. If you are going to make a telefilm at least make it an 1 hour and 30 mins to 45 mins to spread the pace of plot out in a more realistic manner.

Last edited:
Stealth Pilotless drone

Last edited:
Most emotionally charged ad ever created by Grameenphone.Perfect for this season:-)@Bilal9 @Ashik Mahmud @Centaur
Loved it. And thanks a lot for not forgetting to tag me even though I have all but stopped replying and only read through all the posts. Currently in BD for 1 and half month, quite busy. I will try and start engaging in the threads soon and certainly after I leave but keep mentioning me in the posts like these and the informative ones that you do. Even though I try reading most of the threads, I would've missed a lot if it weren't for you. So thanks again.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom