What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Yes we have all heard of Alamgir in Bangladesh. He was especially popular with folks a bit older than myself.

I grew up listening to Pakistani rock outfits like Junoon and MHB...and our homegrown ones like Artcell who play Bangladeshi progressive metal and alternative rock genres.

Alamgir was my parent's generations Elvis - for us it was Junaid Jamshed
He along with Muhammad Ali Sheikhi (Persian) were the rage during those times

Yes we have all heard of Alamgir in Bangladesh. He was especially popular with folks a bit older than myself.

He still sings, sometimes in Bengali.

I grew up listening to Pakistani rock outfits like Junoon and MHB...and our homegrown ones like Artcell who played Bangladeshi progressive metal and alternative rock genres.

1080px-Artcell_%284039852970%29.jpg

Nowadays Bangladeshi band music scene is unbelievably diverse, ranging from thrash metal to easy listening rock, bordering sugary pop. Minar is in the latter popular genre. The target demographic are younger women.

I feel like bangalis really like rock music compared to rest of south asia

except for Junoon and nowadays Karakoram or something, we really don't have proper rock bands
In India they seemed nonexistent almost

I wonder why the rock scene became so popular in Bangladesh while it wasn't as popular in other parts of south asia ?

Last edited:
@Nergal, @Destranator bhais is it just me or is it that every new RAW-sponsored TV channel I see in Bangladesh (Ekhon TV, Somoi TV, "Independent" TV, Jamuna TV) are bringing in Indian media or govt. commentators on every specific Bangladesh foreign policy topic and trying to give it India-friendly spins.

I mean - this used to be subtle, but lately when Hasina got back from India, this has gotten really intense.

Every damned talk show has a "guest" from Indian Media or govt.

Who are they to pass opinions on Bangladeshi foreign policy and why should we care ??
It is a,combination of dalali and genuine lack of self-respect.

Alamgir was my parent's generations Elvis - for us it was Junaid Jamshed
He along with Muhammad Ali Sheikhi (Persian) were the rage during those times

I feel like bangalis really like rock music compared to rest of south asia

except for Junoon and nowadays Karakoram or something, we really don't have proper rock bands
In India they seemed nonexistent almost

I wonder why the rock scene became so popular in Bangladesh while it wasn't as popular in other parts of south asia ?

Well we had early alternative sixties-style rock cover bands performing in Dhaka which became very popular in the 1960's, from there the movement grew and now there is almost as many genres of rock as there exists overseas. Some bass and acoustic guitarists are very, very talented.

The culture of rock concerts, minus the alcoholic craziness and hooliganism has always had a following.

I guess Bengali intellectualism found a means of expression in modern western style music, sometimes with Bengali lyrics, sometimes with English. But these bands are short-lived outfits, as commercial success eludes them, intentionally or otherwise.

Here are some latest examples,

Last edited:
Some more..

A recent concert

A slower pace one,

An oldie (but goodie) from nine years ago.

Last edited:
Coke Studio Bangla did for the Bangla modern easy rock scene what Coke studio Pakistan did for that in Pakistan.

Here is a fusion piece combining a Bangla Ghazal written/composed by one of the greatest Bangla poets, Kazi Nazrul Islam and some Flamenco Folk guitar from Spain.

In the same vein, here is a modern remake of the classic SD Burman piece "Nitol Paye"....

Major Zia declared the independence of Bangladesh a few times. On 26 March he asked his troops in the Chittagong Cantonment if they agree to the independence. They affirmed it and Major Zia declared the Independence first time there. Zia's boss Col. Janzua was captured and killed there.

He and his troops went to the Kalurghat Radio Station and he declared independence which he read from a written script. This time he declared himself the Head of the Exiled Interim Government of Bangladesh.

Note that until then no Awami Leader had given any direction to the population. Mujib waited in his house, as usual, to be captured and others fled to their beloved India. So, I personally do not think Zia broke any law or tradition. Someone must have to fill in the absence of the voice of the leaders. Zia fills in the gap.

The very next day on 27 March, Chittagong Awami Leaders rushed to the cantonment and objected to his declaration of being the head of the interim govt.

It was 27 March when he again declared the independence "on behalf of our Great Leader Bangabandhu Shaikh Mujibur Rahman".

This was his final declaration and that bitch Hasina Bibi is blaming him for this. On the contrary, during the war, she gave birth to that Joy Kumar in a Hospital assisted by the Pakistan military people.

Bloody Hypocrite Hasina Bibi!!

Looked at the latest IMF economic outlooks, and here are the results for South Asia. I don't know much about how IMF calculates these things, but the figures appear similar to BBS predictions post-re-basing.

The figures for South Asia (October 2022) are as follows:

GDP:
Pakistan: $376 billion
Bangladesh: $461 billion
India: $3.47 trillion

GDP per Capita (nominal):
Pakistan: $1660
Bangladesh: $2730
India: $2470

GDP per capita (PPP)
Pakistan: $6600
Bangladesh: $7990
India: $8290

Bangladesh has a surprising lead in nominal per capita. But surprisingly, not far off PPP-per capita with India either! Prior predictions of PPP per capita were much lower! Probably based on old calculation methods. India has much more domestic industries, and far cheaper living costs means they will probably always have a higher nominal to PPP exchange ratio, at least for the next few years. BD pulls ahead in nominal mostly due to better mobilizing its poor, empowering women, microfinancing, NGOs, etc.

Growth is also interesting. Both India and Bangladesh will grow on a similar level, with India projected to grow slightly higher than Bangladesh until 2025. Bangladesh to overtake India's growth after 2026. The GNI per capita difference between India and Bangladesh is expected to grow wider from now. By 2027...

Pakistan: ?
Bangladesh: $4170 (nominal)
India: $3650 (nominal)

Treat these figures as they are. Bangladesh still needs massive re-industrialization (beyond muh valton, etc etc) and upskilling its low-skilled workforce.

Visiting Bangladesh (Dhaka), for the first time in 14+ years to get engaged to a girl I love.

Flying via Biman from Manchester to Sylhet, and then Sylhet to Dhaka.

Not looking to spend 10+ hours on a direct flight with Deshi people and their screaming dimwitted children.

But I'm sure all that suffering will be well compensated for after reaching a half-trillion-dollar GDP BAL paradise.

I'm sure the 5 folds increase in GDP since the last time I went is evident (sarcasm)

Visiting Bangladesh (Dhaka), for the first time in 14+ years to get engaged to a girl I love.

Flying via Biman from Manchester to Sylhet, and then Sylhet to Dhaka.

Not looking to spend 10+ hours on a direct flight with Deshi people and their screaming dimwitted children.

But I'm sure all that suffering will be well compensated for after reaching a half-trillion-dollar GDP BAL paradise.

I'm sure the 5 folds increase in GDP since the last time I went is evident (sarcasm)

High GDP or not - Congrats on the engagement and hopefully becoming a successful husband !

Success in being a husband entails taking attentive care of this demure little kitten her parents are handing over to you after many years of raising her.

Always take care of her (khayal rakhna).

Jewelry, clothes or baubles notwithstanding, what she will crave and deserve most is love and respect, which can be as insignificant as occasional cups of khushbu-wali chai or foot massages (without them asking). These will tide you over the occasional tiff.

Shower your kitten with love - and you will never be wanting in love.

You will also be richly rewarded with beautiful descendants.

Back
Top Bottom