What's new

Chief of Army Staff | General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associated Press

Pakistani army commander in talks with NATO

Associated Press, 05.19.09

Pakistan's military chief, Gen. Ashfaz Parvez Kayani, held talks with NATO officials in Brussels on Tuesday as the Pakistani army pushed on with its offensive against militants in the Swat valley and surrounding districts.

NATO and Pakistani officials in Brussels gave no details of the agenda. However, the meeting comes as the U.S. presses for closer coordination of military and civilian efforts on both sides of the Pakistani-Afghan border.

Kayani last visited NATO in November, when he urged the alliance's military commanders to focus on winning the population's backing in those areas to prevent Taliban and al-Qaida militants from using them as safe havens.

Kayani arrived in Brussels from a one-day visit on Monday to Paris, where he met President Nicolas Sarkozy and top French government and military officials.

Pakistan's army is engaged in major combat in Swat, in response to attempts by armed Islamic militants to solidify their hold on the region. The military says more than 1,000 insurgents have so far been killed in the fighting, which has forced nearly 1.5 million people to flee from the area.

Analysts said Kayani's visit highlighted increasing cooperation in the fight against Taliban militants on both sides of the border.

"Alliance commanders will obviously be very keen to get a sense of how sustained the Pakistani operation will be and what its ultimate goals are," said Shada Islam, head of the Asia program at the European Policy Center, a Brussels-based think tank.

In Islamabad, Pakistan's army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said on Monday that infantry troops were moving into the main towns of the region after three weeks of mostly aerial bombardment of insurgent positions, camps and training grounds in the hills.

He said the army wanted a "quick and speedy operation so we can clear the area and allow the internally displaced people to return."

NATO has nearly 60,000 troops in neighboring Afghanistan, and alliance commanders have frequently called on Pakistan to stamp out cross-border infiltration by armed militants.

2009 Associated Press.

Fatman, Sir, it was told in the media that COAS stay in France would just be limited to one day due to the situation back home, but now as you said above that he is going to stay there for 2 days, is it confirmed?:rolleyes:

sir he is back...

Kayani chairs high-level meeting to review operations
Updated at: 1510 PST, Wednesday, May 20, 2009
RAWALPINDI: Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani today arrived from France and immediately on arrival; COAS presided over a high level meeting in General Headquarters to review the progress of ongoing military operations in Malakand and Swat.

Kayani appreciated the conduct of operations and high morale of troops. He stressed upon the need to provide relief to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) through an aggressive management system.

The News

COAS heads to Germany

ISLAMABAD: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Kayani on Wednesday left for Germany on a day-long official visit, during which he will meet the German military leadership and other government officials. General Kayani was seen off at Chaklala Airbase by German Ambassador to Pakistan Dr Michael Koch, Rawalpindi Corps Commander Lieutenant General Tahir Mahmood, Chief of General Staff Lieutenant General Mustafa Khan, and other senior military officials.

staff report

now i am just wondering why would the CoAS zip on over to Germany for a mtg with the German High Command???

first he flies a high profile F-16 recee mission and now this?

This doesn't sound very high profile to me, but no doubt our chief is a busy guy these days...

big boss in germany yesterday.

Nice pic...looking good in the garrison cap!
BTW...i did not see this garrison cap much before Kayani became Chief..is it being used much by other officers as well?

some times jcos gen.tariq majeed also used garrison cap.

Nice pic...looking good in the garrison cap!
BTW...i did not see this garrison cap much before Kayani became Chief..is it being used much by other officers as well?

late CoAS Asif Nawaz was a frequent user also!

now i am just wondering why would the CoAS zip on over to Germany for a mtg with the German High Command???

first he flies a high profile F-16 recee mission and now this?

i guess he went their to discuss the hurdles comin in the way of U214 submarine deal. u can check the naval section where i posted a news today.

late CoAS Asif Nawaz was a frequent user also!

All Army officers (CoAS and when the Army officers have been CJCSC) on official foreign visits in uniform have donned the Garrison/side cap. One of the reasons is that this is the only head cover that shows the 4 stars of the officer and is easier for rank recognition.

Last edited:
Is it only my imagination that general Kiyani's face looks like a replica of great Quaid-Jinnah!

Is it only my imagination that general Kiyani's face looks like a replica of great Quaid-Jinnah!

Maybe the garrison cap is the closest military cap to Jinnah cap and hence the feeling?

This doesn't sound very high profile to me, but no doubt our chief is a busy guy these days...

inside news is that the General has made a presentation on the on-going ops to the germans!?

Kayani leaves for Russia
Updated at: 1512 PST, Sunday, June 21, 2009
LAHORE: Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani left today for Russia on one day official visit. During his visit, COAS is scheduled to meet the senior civil and military leadership of Russia.

Earlier, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani was seen off at Lahore International Airport by Lieutenant General, Ejaz Ahmed Bakhshi, Corps Commander and other senior military officials.

Kayani leaves for Russia - GEO.tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom