What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

You are absolutely correct.
I believe no one here is an expert on the J-20 or the F-22 and F-35 for that matter.
It would be swell to have a F-22 or F-35 pilot comment here.
I guess we have to make do with retired old pilots with their ancient experience masquerade as experts on 5th gen planes.

If you are referring to @gambit, he is an asset to these forums.

Have some respect for a retired fighter pilot.

He has more experience and knowledge about these matters than you or I ever will.

He has more experience and knowledge about these matters than you or I ever will.

Who told you that @gambit is a retired fighter pilot.
He was a technician that maintained planes.
Most of his knowledge is gained from talking to pilots and general reading.

He is someone with an agenda and an axe to grind and that is why so many people do not respect him.

Eh. I disagree with a lot of what he says. But that being said, he has a lot of insight and experience into military matters that we living room generals just will never have.

When it comes to non-military matters i.e. political or religious, yes we are on a level playing field and I tend to disagree with his opinions more often than not.

But when it comes to defense matters, I defer to his expertise. How can you not?

Eh. I disagree with a lot of what he says. But that being said, he has a lot of insight and experience into military matters that we living room generals just will never have.

My point was if he stopped with his agenda and just stuck to imparting his knowledge in military matters in an unbiased way, then he would not have so many problems with posters on this forum.

According to Gongke in CJDBY (he seems to be a reliable insider there), at current configuration, J-20's empty weight is less than Su-27.

And according to Pupu (who is a quite reliable source), the current J-20 has the highest thrust/weight ratio among all PLA fighters in service, which sidely proved Gongke's claim.

Which means, J-20's empty weight should not be more than 16 ton, which is considerably lighter than F-22's 19.7 ton and slightly higher than F-35's 13.5 ton.

About a year ago, Sina has published an article on the innovation of J-20's manufacturing process, include the intensive usage of advanced process and 3d-printing to reduce structural weight yet maintain structural strength, and advanced stealth coating tech could be another reason why J-20 is so light-weighted.

Due to J-20's optimization at super-sonic, some source claimed even with AL-31F, J-20 can reach Mach-1.5 without afterburner, but the time takes it to that speed are not satisfy super-cruise standard, but still, quite an achievement. Thanks to the J-20 aerodynamic design, actually the ratio of supersonic resistance (sorry don't know the term in English) for J-20 is just 70% of Su-27, no wonder the PLAAF J-20 pilot say when it comes to supersonic range, no one can match the performance of it.

No wonder PLAAF chief openly praised J-20 (the only PLA equipment received such honor) and rush to mass production of J-20 even without target engine.

According to Gongke in CJDBY (he seems to be a reliable insider there), at current configuration, J-20's empty weight is less than Su-27.

And according to Pupu (who is a quite reliable source), the current J-20 has the highest thrust/weight ratio among all PLA fighters in service, which sidely proved Gongke's claim.

Which means, J-20's empty weight should not be more than 16 ton, which is considerably lighter than F-22's 19.7 ton and slightly higher than F-35's 13.5 ton.

About a year ago, Sina has published an article on the innovation of J-20's manufacturing process, include the intensive usage of advanced process and 3d-printing to reduce structural weight yet maintain structural strength, and advanced stealth coating tech could be another reason why J-20 is so light-weighted.

Due to J-20's optimization at super-sonic, some source claimed even with AL-31F, J-20 can reach Mach-1.5 without afterburner, but the time takes it to that speed are not satisfy super-cruise standard, but still, quite an achievement. Thanks to the J-20 aerodynamic design, actually the ratio of supersonic resistance (sorry don't know the term in English) for J-20 is just 70% of Su-27, no wonder the PLAAF J-20 pilot say when it comes to supersonic range, no one can match the performance of it.

No wonder PLAAF chief openly praised J-20 (the only PLA equipment received such honor) and rush to mass production of J-20 even without target engine.
And where did Pupu say this ... direct Weibo link? And which sources said only 70% of supersonic resistance?

The weight publicly release by Lockheed is probably not accurate either. According to a former moderator from CJDBY (presumably living in the U.S. or Canada), he personally contacted Lockheed in the early 2000s and they stated that the F-22's weight is around 16 metric tons.

The weight publicly release by Lockheed is probably not accurate either. According to a former moderator from CJDBY (presumably living in the U.S. or Canada), he personally contacted Lockheed in the early 2000s and they stated that the F-22's weight is around 16 metric tons.

I know that guy, he is an junior american fanboy, that guy is a joke, he proved nothing, he simply add most of F-22 indivial components to put it as empty weight, which is a joking standard, since he didnt include weight for connecting components/coating/internal oil/electricnic lines etc.

And I read his so-called email from Lockheed martin marketing department, and the reply from it didnt say anything about F-22's empty weight, he just put his words and wild imagination into it.

And btw, he is by no way insider or expert, at that time he write his bullshit, he is just an undergraduate student, which is by no means can get any research position in aerospace industry in China.

I remeber I love to make fun of his ridiculus claim and ***-kissing, for instance this one:
https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=700913&page=1#pid20861762

If that is the case, J-20 might weight even lighter. Maybe same weight as F-35. J-20 used large number of latest alloy plus the most advance 3D printing method. This significantly reduce the weight compare to traditional method build plane.

Sorry I have no respect for petty old man.
A grouchy narrow heart guy who don't know how to accept an apology in a civil manner in a public forum from another forum member who on reviewing his post made in the heat of a debate felt it was maybe inappropriate for a civil discourse.

We see political candidates smile and shake hands even after heated and acrimonious debates.
Not Here even though we are not fighting for important or strategic positions but just posting different views in a discussion.

GAMBIT Profile Msg.PNG

Frankly I don't understand this old guy, it is well known that we tend to be more insensitive on the internet where we are anonymous and don't have face to face engagement.
These people who don't know how to be civil in a public forum want to keep yelping about their freedom of speech and Democracy.

Last edited:
Sorry I have no respect for petty old man.
A grouchy narrow heart guy who don't know how to accept an apology in a civil manner in a public forum from another forum member who on reviewing his post made in the heat of a debate felt it was maybe inappropriate for a civil discourse.

We see political candidates smile and shake hands even after heated and acrimonious debates.
Not Here even though we are not fighting for important or strategic positions but just posting different views in a discussion.

View attachment 455757

Frankly I don't understand this old guy, it is well known that we tend to be more insensitive on the internet where we are anonymous and don't have face to face engagement.
To be fair, Gambbit is also pretty racist - in his own words - "to the core". He always begins his arguments by attacking Chinese people in general ... rather than a specific poster

Back
Top Bottom