What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

It is China wanting to test their technology against the best that Russia has. It is only 24 at the end of the day.
Personally I think it is a waste of money and only gives ammunition to China-bashers.

if China buys more Su-35 then that will debunk your claim they just wanna test it against J-20.

J-20 by default is a better aircraft than Su-35, but it's the engine and radar is what get's China blushing with envy.

Pak-FA once it's ready will blow J-20 out if China hasn't fixed WS-15.

if China buys more Su-35 then that will debunk your claim they just wanna test it against J-20.

J-20 by default is a better aircraft than Su-35, but it's the engine and radar is what get's China blushing with envy.

Are you stupid or just pretending?
China has far, far more experience in AESA radars than Russia has. They are ahead of the Russians in radar technology now if you bother to even look at what they have compared to Russia

Like I say, the Chinese have made a bizarre decision in my opinion to obtain the best that Russia has to see how it matches against their fighters.

PAK-FA is rubbish according to the Indians, and so no need to compare it against a true 5th generation fighter like
J-20

Last edited:
On point number 2), they did not say that the WS-15 is made there but the engine for the J-20 is made there.
Either WS-10X or WS-15. Either way it blows this ridiculous AL-31FN theory right out of the water.

I am not sure why otherwise intelligent posters keep going on about the AL-31FN being used on the J-20. Maybe this is feasible for the prototypes but now that the J-20 is in production, then news from Russia and/or China would have confirmed this by now.

After this year, in 2018 many dozens of J-20 are likely to be produced. It would be a miracle if China managed to use nearly 100 of this supposed AL-31FN to power these fighters.

J-20 production machines use either WS-10X(more likely) or WS-15(less likely) and so we should all be able to agree on this as anything else is simply nigh-on impossible.

"On point number 2), they did not say that the WS-15 is made there but the engine for the J-20 is made there."

Please read this page again, for the original pictures from the TV show.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chengdu-j-20-5th-generation-aircraft-news-discussions.111471/page-550
and this webpage https://kknews.cc/zh-hk/military/682paam.html

The English translation of the Chinese caption said “. . . From the third generation "Taihang" aircraft engine, to the [domestically produced] fifth generation "Emei" (WS-15) aircraft engine, . . . The J-20 stealth fighter’s engine's part, tooling and final assembly, were all completed, in the assembly factory of AECC Shenyang Liming Group Co. Ltd. China's aircraft engine industry has achieved a historic leap, which has astounded the entire world.”

The Chinese code name for WS-15, 「峨眉」is "Emei", a famous mountain in China.

Some people have interpreted this program's caption as "yes, it did confirmed WS-15 is J-20'e engine, but it didn't say the J-20's current engine is WS-15. J-20 is still using either WS-10 or AL-31FN-M2. "

I don't know what else to say to those people. The whole Chinese and English caption of the sentences are in the present tense, not the future tense.

upload_2017-7-30_14-5-50.png

Last edited:
Are you stupid or just pretending?
China has far, far more experience in AESA radars than Russia has. They are ahead of the Russians in radar technology now if you bother to even look at what they have compared to Russia

Like I say, the Chinese have made a bizarre decision in my opinion to obtain the best that Russia to see how it matches against their fighters.

PAK-FA is rubbish according to the Indians, and so no need to compare it against a true 5th generation fighter like
J-20

China is nowhere near Russia in the field of radar and EW.

this is why China is buying Su-35 and S-400. let me guess China is buying S-400 to test against HQ-9, lol

China will buy S-500 in the next 10 years as well.

why is China still buying Flankers?? either Chinese jet engines and radars are still way way behind Russia or J-20 costs 3 to 4 times as much as Su-35 is J-20 really a $150 to $200 million fighter

I am sure everyone has different opinions. My take is J-20 and J16/Su35/J11 are serving different roles, they are complements not replacements. Maybe some geopolitical forces are in play too.

If the PAK FA is going to blow out the J-20 out of water, then it is also going to blow the F-22 out of water.

Because the inlet of the current J-20 engine can withstand a temperature around 1600-1700 degree celsius according to the Chinese official media, while the F119 is 1647 degree celsius. So the F119 has no advantage at all. If the PAK FA can overwhelm the J-20, then it can also overwhelm the F-22.

S-400 is not the same as buying 24 SU-35.

Russia is world-renowned as the leader in SAM technology and retains it to this day.

my point is Russia is far ahead in radar technology

I am sure everyone has different opinions. My take is J-20 and J16/Su35/J11 are serving different roles, they are complements not replacements. Maybe some geopolitical forces are in play too.

J-20 is meant to replace Flanker in air-superiority role
J-8II is a interceptor
J-10 is a low cost multi-role

China doesn't need Russia planes unless J-20 is insanely expensive to build or China wants the AL-41 engine and Irbis-E radar

If the PAK FA is going to blow out the J-20 out of water, then it is also going to blow the F-22 out of water.

Because the inlet of the current J-20 engine can withstand a temperature around 1600-1700 degree celsius according to the Chinese official media, while the F119 is 1647 degree celsius. So the F119 has no advantage at all. If the PAK FA can overwhelm the J-20, then it can also overwhelm the F-22.
F-22 is superior than both in regards of stealth and radar. Pak FA is probably more aerodynamic.

J-8II is a interceptor

China doesn't need Russia planes unless J-20 is insanely expensive to build or China wants the AL-41 engine and Irbis-E radar

F-22 is superior than both in regards of stealth and radar. Pak FA is probably more aerodynamic.

You are taking about the engine, the F119 got no advantage, if you wanna bash the J-20 engine, then you are also bashing the F119.

The whole decision to by Su-35 is a mystery to a lot of people.

From what I have heard, the negotiation for Su-35 started many years ago, and keep dragging on, for many years.

The purpose for getting Su-35 was to fill the urgent need to counter F-22, when J-20 was still on the drawing board.

Then J-20's made rapid progress, and China was reluctant to go through with the purchase. But the Russian threatens to withholds future arms sales, particularly, the S-400 missiles and the engines for the SU-27 and Su-30, if China drops out of the negotiation.

So China reluctantly buy just 24, a low number, instead of 100-200, of Su-35.

I am not sure of this explanation. Just some rumor I have read somewhere.

J-8II is a interceptor

1.) "my point is Russia is far ahead in radar technology ", "China is nowhere near Russia in the field of radar and EW."
2.) "F-22 is superior than both in regards of stealth and radar. "
3.) "Pak FA is probably more aerodynamic.",
4.) "J-20 is insanely expensive to build"

Show us some proofs, and let your evidences to do the talking.

The whole decision to by Su-35 is a mystery to a lot of people.

From what I have heard, the negotiation for Su-35 started many years ago, and keep dragging on, for many years.

The purpose for getting Su-35 was to fill the urgent need to counter F-22, when J-20 was still on the drawing board.

Then J-20's made rapid progress, and China was reluctant to go through with the purchase. But the Russian threatens to withholds future arms sales, particularly, the S-400 missiles and the engines for the SU-27 and Su-30, if China drops out of the negotiation.

So China reluctantly buy just 24, a low number, instead of 100-200, of Su-35.

I am not sure of this explanation. Just some rumor I have read somewhere.

1.) "my point is Russia is far ahead in radar technology ",
2.) "F-22 is superior than both in regards of stealth and radar. "
3.) "Pak FA is probably more aerodynamic.",
4.) "J-20 is insanely expensive to build"

Show us some proofs, and let your evidences to do the talking.
1) is a fact. til China actually goes to war with against India or Vietnam. most of Chinese equipment is untested in a real war
2) is a fact.
3)is speculation, but Russia tends to go all in for super maneuverability
4) is an assumption, but stealth aircraft isn't cheap.

1) is a fact. til China actually goes to war with against India or Vietnam. most of Chinese equipment is untested in a real war
2) is a fact.
3)is speculation, but Russia tends to go all in for super maneuverability
4) is an assumption, but stealth aircraft isn't cheap.

Those are no evidences at all. Just purely your personal opinions.
Are you saying you don't have any evidences to back up your claims?
Show us, plz.

The purchase of Su-35 is a purely political one and that is to keep Shenyang Aircraft Corporation alive by having something to do. Shenyang Aircraft Corporation is politically connected to the Founding Elders of the Communist Party of China, too bad they are not as good as Chengdu Aircraft Corporation on merits of ability alone.
J-20 > F-22 > PAK-FA > J-31 > F-35 > Su-35 > Rest of 4th Gen

J-8II is a interceptor

After the parade the new structure is J-20 + J16/Su35 My guess is Su35 is not used as a air superiority fighter by PLAAF

Back
Top Bottom